General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Gas Prices

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Gas Prices

Hows the price of gas where everyone lives?

Even though its about 30 cents away from 4 dam dollars for high test gas for my max i will not change to any other octane.

Dutchess County Gas Prices range from 2.99 then right up the road 3.51 for reg gas......... CRAZY!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 12:04 PM

Old 09-02-2005, 12:40 PM

IT's the same in northern VA.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TXT-1

Old 09-02-2005, 12:58 PM
Chicken Feet Croo!

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx

IBTL
Old 09-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Old Maxima Legend

new zealand
$6.00 a gallon (premium)
Old 09-02-2005, 01:14 PM

$3.50 here for premium... V-8's really suck... can u say gas guzzler
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

here is 3.19 for super plus at a mobil, I'm pumping about 10 dollars more than I did before..

I'm not complaning though, my baby has to eat too........lol
Old 09-02-2005, 03:03 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How about gas stations closing at 6 pm till Tuesday.
Reminds me of relativity theory. If we have gas but it's expensive we complain.
Now we don't have gas at all, I am thinkng I'd ruther have expensive gas then no gas at all. This better get fixed fast or I will be very very mad.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 PM

$3.50 for 93 here in philly.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:35 PM

It's $3.25 here in Los Angeles. Well im my area of LA.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by mroleg
How about gas stations closing at 6 pm till Tuesday.
Reminds me of relativity theory. If we have gas but it's expensive we complain.
Now we don't have gas at all, I am thinkng I'd ruther have expensive gas then no gas at all. This better get fixed fast or I will be very very mad.
yea you are right, I've noticed some on my way to work completely closed down
Old 09-02-2005, 04:01 PM

bah...I'll let each member swap vehicles with me for one week. THEN you can come here and complain
Old 09-02-2005, 05:13 PM

$2.94 over here in the San Fernando Valley, in Los Angeles... $55 tanks.. too much money..
Old 09-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

$2.49reg/$2.69pre at costco in SLC. Went down 10 cents overnight.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Smoken'04
bah...I'll let each member swap vehicles with me for one week. THEN you can come here and complain
I like your sig.....lol
Old 09-02-2005, 05:56 PM

It went to 3.09 today but what are we to do? I love to drive my car and dont have much choice to get back and forth to work. It could be wourse we could all be driving GEO Metro's. I love my Max no matter what the gas prices are. It is a toss up between the bike and the car but it has been raining a lot lately.
Rob
Old 09-02-2005, 06:15 PM
* THIS SPACE FOR RENT *

$3.23 down here in pompano beach for a lousy gallon oh well and i remember saying before i left new york that if cigarettes went up to $5.00 a pack i'd quit...... hah im paying 4 and change and dont plan on quitting any time soon so i guess i'll still be filling my baby up with super!!!!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:37 PM

$3.70/ gallon most gas stations stop selling regular gasoline and can only get 91 octane and up. Anyone from Atlanta.,. rumor going around that it's up to $6.00/gallon. ****ty deal.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:34 PM

maxima cost - abt $40K
new grill - 200US
all the stillens/gredy's/rims etc -- 500US+ ??

*****ing abt. gas @ 3$/gal ... priceless! (lame.. I know...)

also

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I'm pumping about 10 dollars more than I did before[I]..
does it not remain the same, {relative}? super (or 90+oct still costs abt. 10cents more than regular... just the same as it did, two weeks back, when it was abt. 80C/litre .. US price would be similar)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

try the price over here

Just paid $1.35c per Lt for Ultra Premium.....
Gold Coast Australia..
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by tubells
maxima cost - abt $40K
new grill - 200US
all the stillens/gredy's/rims etc -- 500US+ ??

*****ing abt. gas @ 3$/gal ... priceless! (lame.. I know...)

also

does it not remain the same, {relative}? super (or 90+oct still costs abt. 10cents more than regular... just the same as it did, two weeks back, when it was abt. 80C/litre .. US price would be similar)
$40k? Not even a G35 costs that much.
NEW 2005 Maxima SE costs $24,576 at carsdirect
http://www.carsdirect.com/build/opti...&restore=false

Ok, for 100k miles of driving assuming 25mpg = 4000gal. used

@$1/gal = $4000
@$2/gal = $8000
@$3/gal = $12000

I don't know about you, but fuel costs are a significant cost of ownership. Those numbers above are not pocket change. I suspect that a majority of us here on the org bought used, so the average price paid is significantely less than $24,000. If I buy a used one for $12,000 and put 100,000 miles on it @$3/gal I just paid for it twice.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:51 PM

Interesting this question came up this week.

Due to heavy media warnings about the only two pipelines that serve Georgia (Colonial and Plantation) being totally down due to no power in Mississippi, there was a panic run on gas stations in the Atlanta area Wednesday.

Being low on gas, I went early Wednesday morning, thinking I would be ahead of the rush, and set for the next week or so. No such luck. All the stations near me were already out of all grades.

I found gas two towns away. After 25 minutes in one of eight lines (during which time the price went from $2.79, $2.89 and $2.99 for the three grades to $2.99, $3.09 and $3.19), I got my 10 gallons (limit anyone was allowed to buy).

By the time I was able to work my way out of the morass of vehicles (mostly SUVs), being careful to avoid the near fights over pump position, the price had jumped to $3.39, $3.49 and $3.59 a gallon.

After arriving home, I called my wife (in her downtown Atlanta office) and suggested she might get 10 gallons on the way home. When she exited the freeway on her way home, the price was over $5 for all grades, and the lines were very long, so she came on home.

On the Wednesday 10PM news of Atlanta channel 5 (FOX), they showed a BP station on the northside of Atlanta where the marquee read $5.87, $5.97 and $6.07 for the three grades.

After the governor announced the elimination of all state gas taxes for the month of September, and said gouging stations would be found and punished severely, prices dropped back into the $3 to $3.50 range by Thursday evening. At least at the few stations with gas.

Now the pipelines have magically 'discovered' power in Mississippi, and some gas is flowing again. Anyone want to bet the prices come back down to $2.69/$2.79/$2.89, where they were Tuesday evening? Fuggedaboutit.

The oil companies posted all-time record profits last year, and feel that to please stockholders, they must improve on those profits this year. And believe me, they have the full support of our administration.

We usually get exactly what we vote for.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:03 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

The reason that the oil companies are making record profits is that the environmentalist wackos and the NIMBY people have effectively created an oil cartel within the US. We can't drill anywhere. Can't drill in the frozen tundra of alaska, can't drill 30 miles off the coast of CA or FL. Can't build any new refineries either.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:20 PM

The drilling situation is not the problem. We have enough crude. And the enviornmentalists have pretty good evidence that we are doing serious damage to our environment wherever we drill.

The problem is one of inadequate refining capacity. We haven't opened a new refinery in almost thirty years. I see three choices: Either we must stop building and selling vehicles that run on gas, change those vehicles to get much better gas mileage, or build the needed refineries.

I vote for expedited research and development on hybrid vehicles, and immediate work on building two or three new refineries. The refineries are critical to the economic future of our country, and must be built, no matter how the environmentalists feel.

And to make this a Maxima post, we need the gas so Nissan can sell 6th gen Maximas in record numbers.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:27 PM
gec

Originally Posted by tototee999
$2.94 over here in the San Fernando Valley, in Los Angeles... $55 tanks.. too much money..
Damnnn thats good under 3 bucks--- I'm moving there... hey isn't San Fernando the **** capital of the world???????????

Old 09-03-2005, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
Interesting this question came up this week.

After the governor announced the elimination of all state gas taxes for the month of September, and said gouging stations would be found and punished severely, prices dropped back into the $3 to $3.50 range by Thursday evening. At least at the few stations with gas.

We usually get exactly what we vote for.

You know ALL Gas stations are seriously gouging their prices because on Wednesday morning Premuim was $2.80 then by 10pm they went to $3.19. NOw its at 3.6999, And we allllllll know these gas stations are still using the fuel they bought for less then 2.80, the fuel the prob bought way before this increase.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:13 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by lightonthehill
The drilling situation is not the problem. We have enough crude. And the enviornmentalists have pretty good evidence that we are doing serious damage to our environment wherever we drill.
Drilling is part of the problem. Both crude and its refined products are too expensive. If there was enough crude on the market, you wouldn't be seeing $70 for a barrel of crude. Even if you had all the refinery capacity in the world and it didn't cost anything to refine crude, on average, only 23 gallons of gasoline can be refined from a barrel of crude.

So with crude at $70, each gallon of gas would cost $1.66 and that's ignoring taxes, refining costs, delivery costs, and profit for the gas station. Taxes add 40-50 cents depending on the state, delivery costs and profit for the gas station adds 15-20 cents.

Where are we doing serious environmental damage from drilling?? The pipeline in alaska has been beneficial to wildlife there. Old oil platforms in the gulf serve as reefs now and greatly benefit fish in the sea. Oil spills can do serious damage, but when was the last time there was a big one? Exxon Valdez? That was in 1987? For the most part we use double-hulled tankers now. The small spill in the gulf that happened the other day was because of Katrina.

I think we should all be environmentalists. I don't want dirty air or dirty water. We should recycle when possible and pollute less when possible and feasible. I think it's wrong to put in a test pipe, gut your cat, or remove your EGR.

However there's a group of people out there that are just wacko, fringe, and kooky. They want us to return to live in the stone age. They basically want us to live like the Amish people. If you really want to clean up the earth, you should go and cleanup places like Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Mexico City, Beijing, and Shanghai. Those places are absolutely disgusting.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:30 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by SilverSL
You know ALL Gas stations are seriously gouging their prices because on Wednesday morning Premuim was $2.80 then by 10pm they went to $3.19. NOw its at 3.6999, And we allllllll know these gas stations are still using the fuel they bought for less then 2.80, the fuel the prob bought way before this increase.
The cost of what the gasoline was is only one of many factors that influence price. Costs determine how much of a product is supplied to the market at each price point. When the amount of supply goes down, the supply curve shifts to the left and therefore the equilibrium price goes up. This is the law of supply and demand folks.

Let's assume that it costs you $20 each day to drive to work including costs of gas, interest, maintainance, and depreciation. You get paid $200/day. Are you gouging your employer?

Or your house that you bought for $100,000 ten years ago that you just sold for $500,000...are you gouging the buyer??
Old 09-03-2005, 09:08 AM

hmmm...Im just at a loss here...I started a thread here about 3days ago re: the ridiculous rise of gas prices, and it was MOVED to O.T. in just about an hour after I started it...and this thread which is still of the SAME topic, still stays here... hmmm...something's not right here..
Old 09-03-2005, 09:18 AM
Banned

Ive just accepted a job offer which will double my current income, which will offset the current gas crisis. I feel for all the people I know who struggle to make ends meet anyway, and now fearing the cost of gas will effectively consume the little bit of income currently left after expenses. I have seen prices at some stations increase here $1 in one day, all grades. The worst Ive seen here was $4.19 for premium 93, $3.99 regular. This is going to hurt those living from paycheck to paycheck the most, and the country has no shortage of those people. It is really sad.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Helicopters! Money!!!

The world economy is headed for a recession once we do because of the hurricane, housing bubble, oil bubble, and debt bubble. This will make the price of oil and gasoline plumment. Problem is, people still won't be able to afford it because they won't have a job.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:32 PM

joemax1 - Don't take the loss of your gas price post personally (unless you skipped your deoderant that day).

We have more than one mod here, and they probably see things slightly differently at different times (unless they were cloned). And sometimes neither of them may be on the board at a particular time.

I get the feeling that if they see a post that might better be on a different board early on, they move it; but if it already has umpteen replies, they may just sigh and move on.

Even as I posted on this thread, I wondered in my mind if it really belongs here, or over at the fuels and lube board. Sometimes, things are not as clear-cut as they might seem.

Best advice I can give you is to have a tough skin, and realize that, actions notwithstanding, the mods do not mean to discriminate against individual posters who are trying to abide by the rules of the board. And you have always tried to be a 'straight shooter' here, with no profanity, no criticism of other posters, and no suggestive language.

The mods have to make judgment calls, and we agreed to abide by them when we signed on. We all have posts moved at times, and there is usually a reason. Where things get testy is in situations where it may be difficult to know exactly where a post belongs. But you and I are tough, and we will easily deal with what comes down.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:55 PM

Gas in Denver Co is ranging from 2.99 - 3.25 for premium. (which I used 99% of the time)

Perhaps it time for the hydrogen powered Maxima?

In the meanwhile, I have been averaging 20.8mpg in my SE over 15k. I splurged on a K&N drop in panel filter, so we will see if that make any difference at all over the next month or so.

On the serious side though I would go hydrogen if they ever get them going and don't forget to donate the hurricane victims.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:12 PM

So friggin expensive - MAX is now collecting dust in the garage while I ride this to work to save cash. Only drove the MAX to work once this week.

It only costs me about $8.50 to fill up the tank on the bike with premium and a tank will get me about 170 miles

Plus its ALOT faster than the MAX so I'm not complaining

Old 09-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Banned

Ya know the $hit has hit the fan when people cut down on driving. Too bad a bike is out of the question during winter in some places.
Old 09-03-2005, 07:09 PM

3.39 here in nj
Old 09-04-2005, 01:12 PM

Just paid $3.59 for Super in Patchogue. I use 89 for the Maxima, but I have to use Premium for the vette. However, I put $20 bucks in her, and into the garage she goes. Hopefully it'll get better what with the summer coming to a close.

Joe B.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:23 PM
I wanna be at my maximum

The lowest here in Louisiana after this Hurricane tore most of SE la up --- $2.49 to $3.09 for reg. unleaded

In houston, tx -- i hear it is nearing (if not at already) $5 !!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:29 PM

$3.37 in Santa Maria, CA, $3.07 for the cheap stuff on base

Quick Reply: Gas Prices