General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Which Spark Plugs with the use of NOS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2001, 10:42 AM

Ok, i have been told to get teh NGK PFR6B-11 plugs. Well, no one has them. I have also have tried checking listings for the 300ZX N/A. Everyone lists all Platinum which is NOT what i need. ANyone know what possible plugs i can use? This is the only thing stopping me from spraying! That and the fact no one knows what they are talking about when i tell them i need 1 step colder adn they keep saying that you will blow up yoiur engine if you dont use platinum blah blah. I swear that half of these people at parts stores are complete morons or just cant speak damn english. Any help would be great.
Old 05-27-2001, 04:15 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

i got NGK PFR6G-11s
the 300ZX na plugs.

cold range six.
$8.50 a piece
Old 05-27-2001, 04:21 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

NGK Iridium IX

BKR5EIX-11 Stock#5464 - stock heat range for 4th Gen 95-99.

BKR6EIX-11 Stock#3764 - 1 Step colder.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:53 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by Synki
Ok, i have been told to get teh NGK PFR6B-11 plugs. Well, no one has them. I have also have tried checking listings for the 300ZX N/A. Everyone lists all Platinum which is NOT what i need. ANyone know what possible plugs i can use? This is the only thing stopping me from spraying! That and the fact no one knows what they are talking about when i tell them i need 1 step colder adn they keep saying that you will blow up yoiur engine if you dont use platinum blah blah. I swear that half of these people at parts stores are complete morons or just cant speak damn english. Any help would be great.

Every place I went said they had to specail order them, and they were $17.99...a piece!!! I had them look up all the plugs in stock for the 300zx at Pep Boys and Kragen (two closest autoparts stores) and they didn't even carry any NGK's for the 300zx NA. I got some Champion plugs instead, but they are platinum. I have not installed them yet, is there a reason you don't want to use Platinum? Let me know, I'm still trying to learn everything. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by mtrai760

Every place I went said they had to specail order them, and they were $17.99...a piece!!! I had them look up all the plugs in stock for the 300zx at Pep Boys and Kragen (two closest autoparts stores) and they didn't even carry any NGK's for the 300zx NA. I got some Champion plugs instead, but they are platinum. I have not installed them yet, is there a reason you don't want to use Platinum? Let me know, I'm still trying to learn everything. Thanks.
Wow, that is alot!! THey say not to use platinum b/c the NOS will eat it up and foul your plugs. THen it would have been a waste of $$$. You are better off using someting like copper plugs. I used Champion myself. BTW, i was just told, if you instlal your kit and it dfoesnt wortk, make sure your Fuel Pressure Safety Switch is adjusted correctly (Thanks Matt).
Old 05-28-2001, 09:14 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Question Synki...

Wow, that is alot!! THey say not to use platinum b/c the NOS will eat it up and foul your plugs. THen it would have been a waste of $$$. You are better off using someting like copper plugs. I used Champion myself. BTW, i was just told, if you instlal your kit and it dfoesnt wortk, make sure your Fuel Pressure Safety Switch is adjusted correctly (Thanks Matt).

How do you adjust the FPSS? I just installed mine last night, but I didn't see anywhere to adjust it. Under the rubber plug perhaps? What and how would you go about adjusting it? Thanks in advance. BTW, the Champion Platinum plugs were only like, $2-3 a piece, a whole lot better than the $17.99 for the NGK's, but I will look into the copper plug thing, thanks.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:40 AM

Re: Question Synki...

How do you adjust the FPSS? I just installed mine last night, but I didn't see anywhere to adjust it. Under the rubber plug perhaps? What and how would you go about adjusting it? Thanks in advance. BTW, the Champion Platinum plugs were only like, $2-3 a piece, a whole lot better than the $17.99 for the NGK's, but I will look into the copper plug thing, thanks.
Well, dont do this unless your system isnt spraying and everythign else is correct. That meaning all soleniods are kicking in and whatnot. THis is how you adjust it. Information was provided by MAtt (MardiGrasMax). Thanks once again if your reading this.

-Disconnect the 2nd soleniod electrical lines
-Hook a 12v test light up to those wires, make sure the wires are long enough to either have it inside the car or being held by the windshield wiper.
-Now, turn the FPSS fully clockwise
-Go out and activate the system. It is ok, the car will be fine. The car may sputter a bit but it will do not harm. Just gettin more fuel. The test light should NOT come on.
-Now adjust the FPSS by turning counter-clockwise. Do it in 1/4 turn incriments.
-Now go and test again, if the light doesnt come on, repeat the step above.
-Keep adjusting till the light barely comes on, then turn the FPSS another 1/4 turn more.
-Now the swtich is set right.
Old 05-28-2001, 09:53 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Thanks...

For passing along the info Synki, and to Mardigras (Matt) for providing it. Should be doing a test run on Wednesday. Good luck with yours.
Old 05-28-2001, 10:39 AM

Re: Thanks...

For passing along the info Synki, and to Mardigras (Matt) for providing it. Should be doing a test run on Wednesday. Good luck with yours.
What shot you running? Let me know how it goes by PM me or emailing me at Synki@aol.com
Old 05-28-2001, 11:29 AM

www.courtesyparts.com - $7-8/each

If you're running NOS it doesn't really matter all that much if you use copper or platinum. The copper tip does give a slightly hotter spark, though.
Old 05-28-2001, 11:56 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Thanks...

What shot you running? Let me know how it goes by PM me or emailing me at Synki@aol.com

I've got the 50 shot in there right now. Ive been working on it all morning, and should be done this afternoon. I just need to find a place to fill the bottle today, being it's memorial day, and I will try it out tomorrow. I'll let ya know and I'll post how everything goes.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:33 PM

Re: Re: Re: Thanks...

I've got the 50 shot in there right now. Ive been working on it all morning, and should be done this afternoon. I just need to find a place to fill the bottle today, being it's memorial day, and I will try it out tomorrow. I'll let ya know and I'll post how everything goes.
The bottle comes filled, doesn't it?
Old 05-28-2001, 06:54 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thanks...

Originally posted by got rice?

The bottle comes filled, doesn't it?
Nope, they ship it empty. I'm all done installing my system with 2 exceptions, I need to tap into my cai for the nozzle, and get the bottle filled. I finished up all the wiring today and changed the spark plugs. I cheated the FPSS and the solenoids clicked just fine. Tomorrow i'm going to tap into the upper cai section and get the bottle filled, cross my fingers and let er rip. Wish me luck