General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

floor jack/jack stand or ramp?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2001, 06:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm looking to buy a new floor jack or ramp. Which should I get? I'm looking at the website www.autobarn.net

I'm looking at either the MVP Speedy Lift floor jack. Should I get this instead or get the low profile Rhino ramps?

Btw, I don't see any low jack stand. I got a pair of jack stand, but they're too high for a lowered car.

Tell me what you think. Thanks!
Old 05-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Got Bent?

I think a floor jack and set of jack stands will be more useful than ramps. I got a 2-ton floor jack for $20 along with a set of 2-ton jack stands for $14 at pep-boys a while back. I don't know about low jack stands though if you are lowered, you may just have to jack up the car higher to get the stands to fit....but I am not sure.
Old 05-28-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I'm looking to buy a new floor jack or ramp. Which should I get? I'm looking at the website www.autobarn.net

I'm looking at either the MVP Speedy Lift floor jack. Should I get this instead or get the low profile Rhino ramps?

Btw, I don't see any low jack stand. I got a pair of jack stand, but they're too high for a lowered car.

Tell me what you think. Thanks!
I would go for the jack/stands setup. When I had my 'stang, which was slammed beyond beleif, I couldn't get anything under it either... But a couple of scrap peices of wood would do the trick anytime I wanted to get it up in the air... I would drive the car on a couple inches of plywood and then it would clear the jack. I would consider that...
Old 05-29-2001, 04:45 AM

I have both and they're both usefull in certain situations. Floor jack/jack stands are great if you want to work with the wheels off the car and higher clearance. The ramp is great for just the oil/transmission change or if you want to take a quick crawl under the car. I've also used a combination of both...back the car onto the ramp then use the floor jack to jack up the rear and set the car on the jack stands. The reason for this is that with the car already on the ramp it gave me more height clearance for the floor jack lever and less prone to slipping at the jacking point on the rear beam. Also if I don't need to work with the wheels off then I'd rather have the car on ramps for better stability if I'm gonna be tugging/yanking at anything under the car.
Old 05-29-2001, 11:15 AM

I have ramps but never use them. My Miata is slammed 4" and I can't get the jacks under the car either, but, by driving on some wood blocks it's not a problem. With a 2.5 ton hydraulic floor jack, I can get the car up about 4-5" higher than on the ramps. That extra room comes in handy when doing exhaust or tranny work. It's practically impossible to pull a tranny with just those ramps!