General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Maxima Informative Speech..

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Maxima Informative Speech..

well i have a Informative Speech for my Public speaking class i need to do. I cant figure out any ideas. i was going to do "how to make a pass at the strip" but it seems kinda stupid. People have done speechs on: AIDS, human lie detector, ADHD, Gak, How to use a clay wheel, water color painting, and HIV. I cant figure out a darn topic.

Im not to creative about speechs. i hate giving them and hate makin them.

so be creative through some ideas at there. It just has to be informative!

Thanks all
Old 09-27-2005, 08:30 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by sean05
human lie detector,
The government will not have that terminology .. more like, Diagnostic Polygraph ..

Do something more specific, i.e genertaion specific Maxima ... or better yet, the VQ series engine .
Old 09-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
The government will not have that terminology .. more like, Diagnostic Polygraph ..

Do something more specific, i.e genertaion specific Maxima ... or better yet, the VQ series engine .
That is what the girl called it. A Human Lie Detector. What could i tell them about the VQ?

ohh btw its a 7 minute speech
Old 09-27-2005, 08:40 AM
dot dot dot ...

Tell them what you know, and do a little research to find out more ...

Talk about dynamic supercharging, effects of emmissions equiptment, torque curve, bore/stroke, CR,
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 AM

lol they would all sit there dumbfounded. it would be funny to see the teachers face bc shes a really witch.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 AM
dot dot dot ...

Why not, unless it has to be on a specific subject, f'uck 'em ... do it on something you know most about so it will take less time to prepare, and you'll actually learn something that you're interested in if you add a little research time in.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

screw doing a speech on maximas, do something that the teacher is very intrested so u get a good grade, for example, womens rights, it works like a charm everytime
Old 09-27-2005, 09:28 AM

How about a speech on "how to properly detail a car?"
Old 09-27-2005, 09:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

How to act sober when drunk.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:58 AM

Make it more generic - say a speech on overall car maintenance from A to Z, including:

- fluids & lubricants - oil, radiator, transmission, transaxle, brakes, power steering - what to do, frequency etc.
- detailing
- tires - eg. rotation, pressure, summer, winter
- engine
- transmission
- exhaust
- suspension

etc.

I wouldn't be Maxima-specific. Gear the language so the female audience can understand you.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:01 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Bobo
Gear the language so the female audience can understand you.
Screw them, if they don't know or understand it, they cannot correct you even if you're wrong. ..
Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 AM

haah thats good. sorry but i cannot stand up there and talk about womens rights i would shoot myself.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

I would do it if the instructor was hot ...
Old 09-27-2005, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sean05
haah thats good. sorry but i cannot stand up there and talk about womens rights i would shoot myself.
motha f'en

but, do something that interest you, screw everyone else and what they think. what i've learned when i do speeches, is that you have to be enthusiastic, if not , no one will care about your subject, not even your teacher.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 AM

Screw them, if they don't know or understand it, they cannot correct you even if you're wrong. ..
Any imbecile knows that a speech has to be tailored to the audience and the audience in this case is not just the teacher! Also be aware that 7 minutes is a fairly long time. Get on an automotive maintenance website or go through your Haynes manual and plagiarize your speech. The teacher will not know the difference. Better yet go to the public library.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:23 AM
dot dot dot ...

Any imbecile knows that a speech has to be tailored to the audience and the audience in this case is not just the teacher! Also be aware that 7 minutes is a fairly long time. Get on an automotive maintenance website or go through your Haynes manual and plagiarize your speech. The teacher will not know the difference. Better yet go to the public library.
It's freakin high school ... They only want them to "get a feel" for public speaking, not make full time public speakers out of them.

When doing a speech in the real world typically, whoever wants to know about it and its subject will be there, anyone else wont be, since they have no interest and a choice.

In school, either they give you a subject, or you make your own, everyone has to be there for the grade, not for personal interest.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM

Uh oh, Bobo is back from his ban.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:55 AM
VIP Maxima

i had speech last semester. for informative, i just talked about how an engine works. everyone loves it ! make sure u slap on a few powerpoint pics

Old 09-27-2005, 11:25 AM
I Broke OT

^^^^that would be a nice one

or you could explain the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke dirt bike engine
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 AM

It's freakin high school ... They only want them to "get a feel" for public speaking, not make full time public speakers out of them.

When doing a speech in the real world typically, whoever wants to know about it and its subject will be there, anyone else wont be, since they have no interest and a choice.

In school, either they give you a subject, or you make your own, everyone has to be there for the grade, not for personal interest.
wrong its college.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:54 AM
dot dot dot ...

Sorry for the touchy subject tehre chief ... But I meant school in general, unless you were defending your thesis, in which you've spent many months researching/experimenting with something you're very interested in. Then you'll defend it in front of people whom probably know it better than you, or at least think they do, and you must prove them wrong.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Give a speech on what all the safety devices are in cars these days (ABS, SRS, traction control, crumple zones), how each one works to help reduce injury and then see if you can find some numbers to show the effects of the major ones on accidents/injuries. Something useful...

I also like NMex's suggestion on emission control systems. You can start of basically describing combustion and the by-products. And then you can go into what all happens to help reduce those by-products, PCV, EGR, catalytic converter, etc.

Or you could be controversial and go into the details of the Ford Explorer/Firestone rollovers and discuss the fundamental issues and tire-technology... and the root causes of tread seperation etc...
Old 09-27-2005, 12:08 PM

Do one on different exhaust for our cars, get prices, how there made piping, get sound clips and video clips, compile and present.

Or same thing but with an Intakes.

Same thing but different suspension setups.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:24 PM

Get on an automotive maintenance website or go through your Haynes manual and plagiarize your speech. The teacher will not know the difference. Better yet go to the public library.
Trust me, not a good idea! When I was in highschool, the teachers used special websites/software that would track assignments to see if they were plagiarized. Many students got failing grades for that. Since this is college, they could charge you and kick you out. They take this VERY seriously!

I think njmodi's suggestion on safety features/crash tests is a great idea because there will be tons of info for you to cover from the history of automotive safety to the future. I'm sure most ideas will be better than talking about gak or a clay wheel for 7 minutes. Go for a topic that has a lot of info. and will be easy to fill up all that time with.

If you go for that Explorer & exploding Firestone tires idea I can be a reference...happened to us...
Old 09-27-2005, 01:38 PM

[QUOTE=Northern Maxima]Trust me, not a good idea! When I was in highschool, the teachers used special websites/software that would track assignments to see if they were plagiarized. Many students got failing grades for that. Since this is college, they could charge you and kick you out. They take this VERY seriously!

Now that you mention it I did see something on TV sometime back about this. Given this is college, you have to be pretty careful about presenting your material.

Long gone are the good old days of Coles notes!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by TXT-1
Uh oh, Bobo is back from his ban.
That's riiiighttt, lol!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:54 PM
dot dot dot ...

Well sean, since you're in college, what's your major ... that's what I would do it on, or something relative (i.e engineering-->mechanical drivetrains --> Chemical --->emissions systems by products etc
Old 09-27-2005, 02:04 PM

Well sean, since you're in college, what's your major ... that's what I would do it on, or something relative (i.e engineering-->mechanical drivetrains --> Chemical --->emissions systems by products etc
I like that idea, something on subject of your major more than your hobby unless their the same.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:14 PM

i dont have a major yet. as a freshman im just taking courses that are needed to go onto other classes. i really cant decide on a major. i have a few: Finance/business management, computer programming, or a firefighter.

I really like the idea of the safety features, emission devices, and how an engine works. they all apply to ever car and not many people know much about them.

The engine idea would be cool becuase i could show the differences between a 2 stroke, 4 stroke and a rotary. show how a 2 stokes needs the oil to be mixed into the gas as a 4 stoke doesnt.

The safety devices would be pretty cool bc im sure there are videos of old cars that were tested for crashes. show some good and bad crash test.

The emissions would be a tab bit tricker.

keep the ideas comming guys. thanks for all they help!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:16 PM

you can talk about how the 3rd gen VE 5spd was the greatest maxima ever produced
Old 09-27-2005, 02:21 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by MrGone
you can talk about how the 3rd gen VE 5spd was the all around greatest maxima ever produced
Fixed ...
Old 09-27-2005, 02:50 PM

talk about something that everyone on here argues about....MEVI vs. 00Vi...lol, j/k. maybe something on a more serious note where u can actually give statistics such as accidents related to driving. u can go into drunk driving, racing the streets, car related deaths, so on. im sure everyone drives in ur class so everyone could use a little lesson on it, to be safe and how to be safe (driving characteristics, outside factors, and car factors.) but i dont know, could make the girl in the front row go "if u fill ur tires u can save gas!?????? how weird!"
Old 09-27-2005, 03:01 PM

I would do it if the instructor was hot ...
More like: I would do (OMIT: it if) the instructor (ADD: if) she was hot

I've got a research paper coming about anything I choose to write it on, and I'm in the same position as you are.

A friend of mine made the suggestion of "the rise and fall of muscle cars" and will then discuss the rebirth of muscle cars in this era. He wants to do it, so I don't know if I can, but then I would discuss the possibility of muscle cars falling again due to economic circumstances - much like they were when they failed years ago...
Old 09-27-2005, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by MDeezy
I like that idea, something on subject of your major more than your hobby unless their the same.
All these things you guys are telling him would take way to much work and probably bore the hell out of everyone listening. Just do something simple and broad. If you can do your informative speech on teaching something, do something stupid like how to make jello, it will take up time showing the steps and give everyone jello after including the prof for suck up points.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by rsly33
do something stupid like how to make jello, it will take up time showing the steps and give everyone jello after including the prof for suck up points.
its a college course...he would fail in a heartbeat
Old 09-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Kevlo for President

I wrote an essay on Sunday about why Projectors/HIDs are the best headlight combo.
Old 09-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Big thumbs down for plagiarism, colleges are very strict on this and most institutions go as far as expulsion for individuals caught. Since you're posting on maxima.org, I'd go with something about cars. I think routine maintenace would make for a good topic.

Why is routine maintenance required?
What parts of a car require servicing? (some people I know don't even know the transmission fluid requires changin)
How can you check for items that require maintenance?
What happens when you don't perform routine maintenance?
What are the general costs associated?
Different kinds of maintenance, flushing/drain & filling.
Most over-looked items (rotating tires & maintaining air pressure).
Yadda Yadda
Old 09-27-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
its a college course...he would fail in a heartbeat
Why would he fail in a heartbeat? An informative speech is an informative speech, it doesnt matter what the topic is. Did you see what he said other kids were doing? Gak, how to use a clay wheel, and water colors? Just because some kids pick topics that seem "harder" than Gak, doesnt mean they will give a better speech.

I still say jello