General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

questions for all the advanced drivers:

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2000, 09:34 PM

i must admit while i'm a decent driver i have not been driving the manual transmission all that long. i would like to know more about heel and toe, double clutch methods..basically anything to extract the most out of my VQ. also, what is the difference between the double clutch downshift and a normal blip of the throttle while downshifting? both don't seem to upset the balance much..finally, i would like to know if anyone in here has been to a performance driving school and what was that experience like?..thanks for any replies.
Old 10-11-2000, 09:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

When you double clutch.. You disengage the clutch.. Put the shifter into neutral.. re-engage.. and then shift to the next gear.. This isn't need for syncroed cars..

ZuM
Old 10-11-2000, 10:10 PM

heel and toe

this means that u are using the toes of your right foot to press on the brake while tapping/pressing on the accelerator
with your heel.

this trick is better done on a rwd than fwd, but can be done
and used especially by auto-xers and drifters on turns.

i'm sure u already know that the fronts have the most braking power, and on a fwd, if you brake AND gas at the same time, it'll be very different, i.e. car will be pulling to one end and stuff! be very careful trying this trick, i've tried on my max, but can't wait to get a rear drive corolla or something to practice this one,

lates
Old 10-11-2000, 10:30 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

heel & toe advice, this site KICKS ***

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_driving..._heeltoe.lasso
Old 10-12-2000, 06:17 AM

heel and toe driving isn't really that useful at the autox IMHO. The maxima has a big engine with good torque down low, shifting is probably going to hurt performance more than help. I just throw it into second a few seconds after I leave the start and leave it there. Left foot braking is gonna do a lot more good than heel and toe shifting Course it wears out your breaks too, but I'm looking for a reason to buy porterfields anyway...
Old 10-12-2000, 10:06 AM
dvyuan

The heel and toe is more useful with cars that have most of their power in the high end. With you foot on both the accelerator and gas you can build up more power for you exit in a turn. This is especially useful for cars with Turbos that have a lot of turbo lag. Our Max's have a lot of torque so the heel and toe will not really be that useful, just make sure you enter a turn in the proper gear and you will be fine.