General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

when struts are shot... what happens to the ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2001, 08:40 PM

what are noticeable diffeences
is there goin to be excess noise...
please some one advise me when you know your struts are shot...
thnx in advance
joe
Old 05-30-2001, 09:02 PM

Noise, teeth cracking bumps... annoying stress sounds.. not good.. very bad.. very annoying... very stressful ride.. very not good. I KNOW THIS MAN!!! Sprints and stock shocks are definatly taking their toll on me, my passangers, and my ride.. Tokikos here i come.
Old 05-30-2001, 09:05 PM

You will feel that your car bounces around everywhere, it may not track straight, and your ride will deteriorate noticeably. An old method to test struts is to the "corner push method". You would push down on one corner of your car, and if the car doesn't settle with one "bounce" then your shocks are shot. But I don't think that applies anymore, unless your shocks are really dead.

When I swapped out my stockers for H&R/Tokicos, my drivers front strut was leaking (it was dead) but I did the bounce test on it and it recovered without any up and down motion.

The most extreme case of a worn out shock absorber is if you hit a bump on the road (usually on the freeway) and the wheel just bounces up and down up and down without stopping. I've seen that on a Tercel and a Dodge van and it's almost painful to watch (must be punishing to ride on those worn shocks).
Old 05-30-2001, 09:11 PM

Another thing I noticed is that with our heavy Borbet Type M's (26lb/rim, as opposed to low 20's for most) the ride is harsher due to higher unsprung weight. I rode in a Max with H&R/Toks but with lighter 17's and the ride was noticably better. Oh well a small tradeoff for a great looking rim for dark Maximas, in my opinion.

Originally posted by MaxiPad96
Noise, teeth cracking bumps... annoying stress sounds.. not good.. very bad.. very annoying... very stressful ride.. very not good. I KNOW THIS MAN!!! Sprints and stock shocks are definatly taking their toll on me, my passangers, and my ride.. Tokikos here i come.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:05 PM

Well all of mine are shot right now...

and the ride sucks! Harsh yet floaty feeling...Wheels bounce around a lot more, and the back end has hopped loose a couple times going around bumpy corners because the wheels won't stick to the ground. And when I'm stopped at a light, and my kids in the back start to bounce/sway back and forth for whatever reason (fight, music, whatever...) the car rocks back and forth. Reminds me of some volvos...Oh, and the nose dives a lot more when braking hard.

I'm going to have them done when the exhaust work is done.