General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Shaving handles

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2001, 09:48 AM

Has anyone shaved thier door handels? I kind of wonder how this works. I mean, wont there be a big ol hole where the handles were? I saw a kit in Sports car compact for one, says it fits most imports. so anyone done this? if so, lets see some pics!
Old 06-02-2001, 11:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I haven't personally shaved my door handles, but what I do know may help you out. Here goes...When the door handle assemblies are removed, it leaves a hole. The door handle shave kits/custom shops fill this hole in with similar material to the car door and blend it in, so you can't even tell that a door handle existed there. It will look completely smooth, just like the rest of the door. The entire door will have to be primered and repainted to match the rest of the car also. To open your doors, you'll have to use a remote system, similar to keyless entry with the key fob for your alarm/door unlock/trunk. They will install solenoids, which are kinda like pistons to open the doors with a certain amount of force, depending on how expensive you are willing to go. The solenoids are like hydraulics to open the doors, since you won't have anything to grab on to, and pull them open. You probably would want to go with solenoids that open with 40-50 pounds of force, especially if you get snow and ice in your area, because the doors can freeze shut just like any other time and the solenoids have to be able to force them open. The kits usually include everything needed for the install, except tools. Each door will cost approximately $200-$250 to have done, depending on the shop (if you can find one that does this custom job). The price is probably what keeps many people from getting it done. Hope this helps you some.
--Peace,
Rich
Old 06-02-2001, 11:43 AM

yuck

I guess that is why not does this? Plus, it would suck if i couldnt open the door in the winter or somthing. Anyway, i have better uses of 1 grand =)
Thanks though