General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Lowering the maxima

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2001, 11:48 AM

i want to lower my car an inch or so to get rid of that huge gap but im not the worlds most knowledgable car person. i have a 96 SE and i'd like to know what i would need to get. i was thinking just springs but then this kid last night at my friend's house was telling me i'd need springs, shocks, and something to keep the inside of my tires from wearing down (since the center of gravity would be different). thats just what he told me. so, what do i need to buy or what should i buy to lower my car. thanks for the help
Old 06-03-2001, 01:06 PM
Master Will

Originally posted by Newman96SE
i want to lower my car an inch or so to get rid of that huge gap but im not the worlds most knowledgable car person. i have a 96 SE and i'd like to know what i would need to get. i was thinking just springs but then this kid last night at my friend's house was telling me i'd need springs, shocks, and something to keep the inside of my tires from wearing down (since the center of gravity would be different). thats just what he told me. so, what do i need to buy or what should i buy to lower my car. thanks for the help

you will need to buy springs
the choice is yours.....Eibach,Sprint,Intrax,Progress,H&R,and there are many others.....

shocks/struts.....Tokico,KYB,KONI...

you won't need the camber plates if you get just the basic 1-1.5 drop...but you will ned a good alignment job....go ahead and save the money to get all of it at one time...shocks/struts,and springs and get it all installed at the same time to save you self double labor fees...
Old 06-03-2001, 01:51 PM

I lowered mine myself with the intrax springs, they are really good in my opinion, but for you I would go with the H&Rs that is if you are not going for a really stiff ride, cause I have heard that the eibachs are really stiff, but that's of course what I have heard. But I have also heard very good things about the h&r s , not to mention that the bimmers in the GT cup on speedvision use H&R If I had a bimmer that;s what I would buy, but if you like little or no gap at all, go with the intrax or sprints, they both drop it about 2 inches and handle like a dream, I have no body roll at all (intrax, FSTB, RSB). As far as alignment goes, after I lowered mycar (did it myself with a little help from the wife/girlfriends father) and didn't align it until I got my new tires, and the car didn't loose that much in alignment (must be a natural mechanic ) and the car didn't pull to one side or the other, enough for me to spend 50 some bucks on an alignment.
hope I helped
Old 06-03-2001, 06:44 PM

Read the FAQ on www.maxima.org for some great info...

Here is a little to get you going.

Eibach, nice and sporty, nice and stiff.
H&R, semi-sporty, closer to stock than Eibach

I'm such a tease...

As was said before, you won't need camber bolts if you keep your drop around 1", which is what you were looking for... so perfect!