General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Planning on installing Tranny Cooler.. Info needed..

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2000, 02:54 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Okay, I plan on installing a tranny cooler before the end of the month. I checked out Greg's site and I think I have the general idea of it all. But I have a few questions. I know that the tranny will require more fluid because there is now more tubing. How much fluid extra will I need to add? Do I just put it in from the dipstick tube? How will I know when its enough? Any tips would be great. =)

ZuM
Old 10-12-2000, 04:03 PM

It might take a half quart at most. Yes, you just dump it in right at the dipstick! If you catch the tranny fluid that comes out, you will see just how little it is. You can safely do nothing, drive it around for a day or two, then check it. If it needs some, add it.

I needed a half quart (that's a LOT) only because I was not satisfied with my line routing and (being the **** retentive that I am) I re-did the install partially.

One tip I did not put on the web site that I wish I had - if you pop out the grill (REAL easy, no tools required) it will make your life infinitely easier. I am assuming you have a 4th-gen.

-Greg

Old 10-12-2000, 04:12 PM

Yep 4th Gen.. I think I will pop the grill too. So running a bit low on tranny fluid won't do much eh? It won't matter much. After the install it should be time for my inspection and I plan to have the tranny fluid changed then anyways. =) I assume I'll need a little funnel or something. =) Thanks for the info..

ZuM

Originally posted by GregP

It might take a half quart at most. Yes, you just dump it in right at the dipstick! If you catch the tranny fluid that comes out, you will see just how little it is. You can safely do nothing, drive it around for a day or two, then check it. If it needs some, add it.

I needed a half quart (that's a LOT) only because I was not satisfied with my line routing and (being the **** retentive that I am) I re-did the install partially.

One tip I did not put on the web site that I wish I had - if you pop out the grill (REAL easy, no tools required) it will make your life infinitely easier. I am assuming you have a 4th-gen.

-Greg

Old 10-12-2000, 04:33 PM

Where?

Where did you guys mount the cooler? Is it behind the grill?

Thanks for the info,
Rob
Sin City
Old 10-12-2000, 04:42 PM

Re: Where?

Check out Greg's site.. He has all the info there.

ZuM

Originally posted by Gumby510
Where did you guys mount the cooler? Is it behind the grill?

Thanks for the info,
Rob
Sin City
Old 10-12-2000, 05:39 PM
Kato

What a coincidence!

I finally picked up a Hayden cooler (403) today from Autozone. Plan on installing it tomorrow if the weather's nice.

Old 10-13-2000, 05:41 PM

Greg....

-Greg

Greg, I visited your website and I greatly appreciate the very detailed information. I do have a couple of more questions based on this post. One, when you say you re-did your line routing, how so? What can I do first to prevent having to do that. Also, I haven't even tried yet, but how do you remove the grill. I am installing my tranny cooler tomorrow am and jsut had these last few questions.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Old 10-13-2000, 06:56 PM

I re-routed the lines (actually, I re-DID the lines) because originally I did not route them close enough to the center support and when I tried to put the plastic engine undercover back on it did not fit well at all because the lines were in the way. I suggest getting a lot of slack and route the lines as absolutely close to the center support as possible. You will need a lot of line and you will tend to have very large bends but if you wire tie everything securely you should have no problems. The info on my site is still correct and the pictures still illustrate what I did so I did not really need to update the site. If you don't go close to the center support and you run the lines "across" the front part of the unibody it will be very difficult to get that undercover back on and screw it in properly.

To take the grill out (I have a 99) just squeeze the two tabs on each side and push (hard). It is easy and you will save yourself about an hour of annoying work. Idiot that I am, I did the whole job and then said to myself - "I wonder if I could have removed the grill to make life easier?" and it took me about 2 seconds to do it. I felt like a dumb dumb.

-Greg
Old 10-13-2000, 07:08 PM

Got mine

I got my Hayden 403 today at autozone. They didn't have the 404 so I just settled for the 403. I figured it can get kinda cold out here in NY and wouldn't want any overcooling problems anyways. Okay, so I just couldn't wait.. Maybe that was it.. =P But I got everything and I should be attempting the install tomorrow. Hopefully all will go well.. I have to get myself a bottle of ATF and a funnel tomorrow. =) I guess I won't notice any performance increase from this mod eh? =)

ZuM
Old 10-13-2000, 07:33 PM

thanks, Greg

I re-routed the lines (actually, I re-DID the lines) because originally I did not route them close enough to the center support and when I tried to put the plastic engine undercover back on it did not fit well at all because the lines were in the way. I suggest getting a lot of slack and route the lines as absolutely close to the center support as possible. You will need a lot of line and you will tend to have very large bends but if you wire tie everything securely you should have no problems. The info on my site is still correct and the pictures still illustrate what I did so I did not really need to update the site. If you don't go close to the center support and you run the lines "across" the front part of the unibody it will be very difficult to get that undercover back on and screw it in properly.

To take the grill out (I have a 99) just squeeze the two tabs on each side and push (hard). It is easy and you will save yourself about an hour of annoying work. Idiot that I am, I did the whole job and then said to myself - "I wonder if I could have removed the grill to make life easier?" and it took me about 2 seconds to do it. I felt like a dumb dumb.

-Greg
thanks a lot..I appreciate it.
Old 10-14-2000, 01:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Large bends are good...you shouldn't have any bends in the hose less than 3" in radius according to the lil' booklet that come with the Hayden..

-Greg