General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Anybody have this power delivery problem, too? ->

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2000, 09:33 AM
Keven97SE

This morning on the drive to work, I made a right turn from a stop onto a highway that was pretty congested. I really had to nail the gas to get up to ~50 mph as soon as possible. The highway was headed up a decent hill at that point, so I was accelerating uphill.

Now, I'd had this issue before but today was by far the worst...the engine rpms raced ahead as if I was flying, but the car didn't move like the power transfer was there...it was like my tires were breaking loose, but they weren't; traction was not the problem. It's like either the clutch was slipping or the differential was opening, but there were no obvious clunking/screaching/shuttering that would indicate that.

Anybody have this experience? What the hell is that?

Conversely, I know that accelerating downhill will make the car accelerate faster, but even accelerating down the smallest hills, I seem to really, really haul. The increase in acceleration going down a hill is much greater than I'd expect from the small incline. It's like the power transfer is really, really good going downhill but crappy as hell going uphill...and I'm not talking about traction...it doesn't appear to be a problem.

Any input???

[Edited by Keven97SE on 08-24-2000 at 11:37 AM]

Old 08-24-2000, 09:55 AM

Same Problem

U drive an automatic Rite >>>???

well its because the shifter is in D .... *this is whut i think * b cuz when i put it into first and i floored it there wasnt that lag...

but from D when my tired are rolling goin around 20 -30 mph
and i floor it
the rpm JUMPS to about 4 but hte car doent move ... but once it reaches 5 the car kicks in

its the engine structure man not somehtin to worry about ...
take over drive off when u floor it will give u a sooner kick back

The first couple times i raced i raced from D just to c the difference.... ITS GARBAGE .. thats when i realized wait a sec... lemme see if i put this into first i wont get a kick back..
so i SUGEST U TRY THIS WHEN U GET SOME TIME...
say ur goin 10 15 mph on 1
let go of the GAS for about 2 secs
then FLOOR IT
ur rpm will go up BUT SO WILL UR SPEED ...
make sure ur rpm doesnt go above 6 for more then 4 secs *not good for the engine *
Old 08-24-2000, 09:58 AM
Keven97SE

Sorry...shoulda mentioned ->

I drive a 5 speed.

Old 08-24-2000, 10:01 AM

Re: Sorry...shoulda mentioned ->

arite ...mmm then im outta ideas.... but my Auto has that problem
i dont really mind b cuz the only time i flooor is when im racing .. and thats when i stick it in 1

HOW HIGH DO U REV WHEN CHANGING FROM FIRAST TO SECOND?

Originally posted by Keven97SE
I drive a 5 speed.
Old 08-24-2000, 10:03 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tunedup
If you have an automatic, try turning off Overdrive when you need the power. You'll see a huge difference.
Old 08-24-2000, 06:34 PM

It is your clutch

Greetings,

On the verge of my 30k miles, my car acted weirdly on 1st gear (slipping) and the same as yours up hill. I took the car to the dealer and they performed the uphill loaded test (whatever that means) themselves. The problem was the clutch and assoc. hardware. All was covered by the warranty and they replaced the whole thing. I haven't had the problem since.
I have later learned that 4 gen maximas have a problem with the clutch and they break at about 30k miles.
So my next clutch change should be when my Max turns 60k (an I already am starting to feel a very, very slight slip on 1st once in a while). This is well know problem to the NISSAN folks.
I suggest you to take care of it as soon as possible.

Cheers,
Old 08-24-2000, 10:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: clutch

I don't now how you drive but I have 87K and my clutch is as good as new.The idea of every maxima owner having to change there clutch every 30K is upserd.You must of had a bad clutch or your doing bomb drops way to often.
Old 08-24-2000, 11:00 PM
Turtle turtle... Moderator

how to test our clutch

Wassup

generally when you go uphill and feel like its sluggish or no power it means the clutch is slipping. When we diagnoise a clutch, we take it on a hill and put it in 4th or 5th gear. This will tell you if your clutch slips or not, Try it. Later
Old 08-25-2000, 05:41 AM

You must be a lucky boy

Absurd!, Tell that to the thousands that had this problem and you'll have an ungry mob after you.
Your case is not enough to qualify all others as absurd. I happen to work with several people that have maximas (from GXE to SE) ranging from young enthisiastic to the little old lady that drives on Sunday afternoons and they had the same problem.
As for me I am not an agressive driver. Don't even have a ticket!. I like my car!. While I work on it as a hobbie and I modify it as an interest I would not consider doing "bomb drops" (that is just inmature).
At my age I don't need to run I can instead very comfortably walk and get there before (that is called experience).

Originally posted by emax95
I don't now how you drive but I have 87K and my clutch is as good as new.The idea of every maxima owner having to change there clutch every 30K is upserd.You must of had a bad clutch or your doing bomb drops way to often.