General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

I think I'm rubbing off on my dad a little.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Play with my balls

I think I'm rubbing off on my dad a little.

He's almost 56 years old, and I see his interest in some of the things that I've done to my car. He has a '96 GXE with 45k on it. Very well taken care of, and until recently has only been a 2nd car for my parents. My mother does not drive much. He had a '95 Camry XLE that I helped him buy off of ebay, and passed it down to my sister.

Last week he bought 4th gen SE wheels from Blu and ordered the Falkin 512's from edgeracing today. With my help of course. I also helped him get an OEM spoiler from ebay that he has to get paint and installed. Tonight he called me and inquired on what lugs looked better. I also furthered his knowledge in available suspension setups that would help improve his ride. I think he's going to give the RSB a shot. I highly doubt he'd go to my extremities, but it's all in his moderation.

This is kind of cool for me, because growing up he's always been against me modding anything on my car. I've owned a 4th gen but didn't get a chance to do much to that, and my Accord's suspension was a disaster to my tires with it's 2.25 dropped and no camber kit. That was sold before it was corrected. That's probably why he was always like.... Anyrate, I've never expected to rub off on him, but we get to spend more time together which is nice from a son's perspective.

He's a Tech V Machinist and has much ability to do alot with cars, he just simple and "used" to like them the way they are.....Stock. Maybe I see a good change.

btw, I've introduced him to the org since I've joined........maybe he'll stop in and check it out now.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:42 PM
Mass_Media™

Thats awesome. I know i have rubbed off on my cousin. Ever since i have had a maxima he has loved it. He wants his first car to be a maxima. I think its awesome when this happens you don't mean it to happen but it just does, I love it. Hopefully he will chim in.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:19 PM

I have the same effect on my dad he has seen me work on my car and do different things and now everytime i go home he has something different on his car.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
Play with my balls

I think it brings that father/son experience closer when you can both contribute to something that has good outcomes.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:42 PM
VIP Maxima

thats cool. my parents are against every single penny that goes into the car ! but its my money

Old 01-29-2006, 06:48 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I think it brings that father/son experience closer when you can both contribute to something that has good outcomes.
just do what i did. race him and put him to shame. then he starts ordering a full pulley set, headers, catback, etc. in an attempt to ou do you. my father ended up losing the car in a wreck but seems anxious to start modding the next one. it is nice to have another common ground to talk about.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:19 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

I think it's great, maybe he wants your help because he values your opinion as a man. Regardless nothing wrong with helping or working with your Pops, life is short, when your older it may be something you look back on as a positive family experience.

My dad is a retired contractor and visited me for about 6 weeks in MD. We did lots of work to my home while he was here and everytime I walk by one of our projects, I remember our bickering about ideas, design, work, tools, material, etc, etc and everything came out beautiful. We still talk all the time about it. PRICELESS...
Old 01-29-2006, 10:43 PM

Man i wish i could have that relationship with my father,but we dont really see eye to eye all the time.So we stay arguing...But good for you
Old 01-29-2006, 11:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've rubbed off on my dad a little too. He keeps asking if I'll sell him my green maxima (I have two 3rd gens now) and I keep saying "Uhhh, maybe...." I also have a few friends that want to buy it or another one just like it and I say "good luck finding a nice VE5." LOL
Old 01-30-2006, 12:46 AM

I dunno what it is but my Dad's been kind of crazy this past year.

Mainly just his stereo stuff, then wants DDE's, wants wheels aswell. Also wants to help build my mustang.

It's funny because he used to take his cars to the shop for all the work that needed to be done. Now I am the shop lol
Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by lowandslow88
Man i wish i could have that relationship with my father,but we dont really see eye to eye all the time.So we stay arguing...But good for you
+1...I don't really talk to my Dad much but my Mom is obsessed with cars and she's already been asking me for help picking out a decent exhaust and rims for whatever SUV/truck she ends up buying. I also influenced my Uncle's decision to buy a Maxima...I'll have to see if he wants to do any mods to it!
Old 01-30-2006, 11:58 AM

Dad's love bonding with their sons especially when it comes to cars
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM

iv'e definitely converted my dad into a believer just by letting him drive my car to the store and what not and i tell him to put his foot to the floor a couple times every trip. he loves it , which says a lot about the car because he has a 454 LS5 stingray in the garage. not that my vq is nearly as fast as his vette, just that he takes it seriously. plus i got to teach him the difference between rice and imports. now he taunts civics and neons when he's out in the vette.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:32 PM
Banned

My dad still grunts and groans a little when I talk about cars, but I finally found a way to get to a common ground. He had a '72 Hemi Roadrunner up until 1978 when he had to sell it because of the gas crisis. One day when he was giving me crap about my car, I told him it was my Roadrunner. Since then, he's asking me what I've done to it instead of what money I've waisted on it. For my dad, that's a HUGE change! If I lived closer to him, I'm sure he'd be in there getting his hands dirty with me. He taught me a ton growing up. We rebuilt two engines together, changed multiple car parts (brakes, rotors, axels, trannys, ect), and toyed around with my old S-10's bodywork and suspension upgrades. Now that I'm getting close to buying a second beater car (like a 2006 civic or accord) to drive around for work, he's a little less grumpy about the cost of keeping a maxima.

BTW: he had a 1987 maxima. Still to this day he says it was the most expensive car he's owned because it costs so much to keep on the road.

Oh ya, he's acts like he's not impressed with the power, but somehow always manages to put his foot into it when he drives it...
Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by GBAUER
My dad still grunts and groans a little when I talk about cars, but I finally found a way to get to a common ground. He had a '72 Hemi Roadrunner up until 1978 when he had to sell it because of the gas crisis. One day when he was giving me crap about my car, I told him it was my Roadrunner. Since then, he's asking me what I've done to it instead of what money I've waisted on it. For my dad, that's a HUGE change! If I lived closer to him, I'm sure he'd be in there getting his hands dirty with me. He taught me a ton growing up. We rebuilt two engines together, changed multiple car parts (brakes, rotors, axels, trannys, ect), and toyed around with my old S-10's bodywork and suspension upgrades. Now that I'm getting close to buying a second beater car (like a 2006 civic or accord) to drive around for work, he's a little less grumpy about the cost of keeping a maxima.

BTW: he had a 1987 maxima. Still to this day he says it was the most expensive car he's owned because it costs so much to keep on the road.

Oh ya, he's acts like he's not impressed with the power, but somehow always manages to put his foot into it when he drives it...
That's great, you opened his eyes by putting your modding up against something he could relate to. Way to prove your point George.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:59 PM
Shiver me timbers.

I rub my dad off. Is that the same?
Old 01-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Play with my balls

Originally Posted by maxfanfromohio
I rub my dad off. Is that the same?
With your little penor..... ftw!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM

I've rubbed off on my dad a bit. He convinced me to get a Maxima since he used to have a 91 SE, loved it. After driving my car he decided to get a Maxima to drive for himself until my brother got his drivers licence. Ended up buying on_alert's old car. He loved the Apexi catback which I think is strange for someone who grew up having muscle cars. Now he's moved on to a supercharged M3.

He still doesn't like me doing any mods, he'd rather I save all my money for college
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM

My dad was the perverbial hot rodder when I was a kid. He bought me a motorcycle when I was 13. We split on buying an Anglia(Same car used in last Harry Potter movie) when I turned 16. When I turned 17, I bought a 1964Chevelle with a 327 and 4 speed. He had bought a 64 four years earlier new.
Over the years he helped me a lot as when I put the 350 Chevy engine in the 240Z Datsun that I put 156,000 miles more on it. Twenty years after I got married, he got me back into motorcycles. Now I have a 36 year old son that is into cars and motorcycles and a 14 year old grandson that is into motorcycles. At the present time we have eight motorcycles. I have a 1200 Yamaha Venture(same basic motor as a V-max) and son has a CBR 600 and a Yamaha FZ1 that pulls 130 HP off the rear tire.
The point I want to make here is my dad died five years ago, but he is still part of all of our lives and we work out of the garage that we built 18 years ago. I was truely blessed to have a dad that supported some of the crazy ideas that I had and even encouraged them. I still miss him a lot and hope everyday that I can be to my son and grandson like he was to me.
As you all grow older, you will be amazed as how quickly these relationships are gone.
Randy
Old 01-31-2006, 06:06 AM
Banned

I think anyone who has a dad who would rather complain about their sons modding their cars rather than helping out shoudl have him read this thread.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 AM
tastey wheat

haha, my dad is the same way, except he has a brand new V8 dakota. he wants exhaust, and maybe a small sound system and some cooler wheels... its kinda funny, really

i already helped him shave the emblems off, lol