General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Behind the Scene at MaximaDay.. MUST READ!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: hey ... totally off-topic question ...

Originally posted by ohboiya
i c that u have the stillen sts ... i hope u can answer a coupla questions ...

1. do u know how long the throws r?
2. if u could .. would u shorten the throws or is it just rite?

tkx .. i'm trying 2 determine how long my throws should b on my smc sts
I'll send you an e-mail.
Old 06-10-2001, 04:56 PM

Re: Re: hey ... totally off-topic question ...

Originally posted by y2kse

I'll send you an e-mail.
tkx dude ... i'm going 2 post a gen'l question 2 c if this popping out has happened 2 n e 1 else b4 ... sounds scary
Old 06-10-2001, 04:57 PM

Like I expressed in my previous post, Y2kSE and Don In Texas seem to think the same way I do. Boycott Stillen if you want, but don't do it because of this. Do it because their customer service sucks, and their prices are too high. What they did here was purely business like.
Old 06-10-2001, 06:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would have to agree with Don and the others. You can't walk in to Stillen's home and try to take business away from them. Maxima day is just an even to try to sell stillen's products to maxima owners. We who are part of Maxima.org know better than to get some products from Stillen. We should educate people about how over priced the stillen products are. But not in their facility and paid event. I guess we will have to keep it at maxima.org meets and on the BBS. But I'm very interested in seeing what products Brian Catts and Cheston have up their sleeves.. =) I wouldn't mind seeing a nice Cattman CAI that is cheaper than the PR CAI. Cheap big brake upgrades sound great too. Keep up the good work guys. Just not on Stillen's land. Thats a slap in the face to stillen. They don't have to take it.

=)

ZuM
Old 06-10-2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by BrianV
Like I expressed in my previous post, Y2kSE and Don In Texas seem to think the same way I do. Boycott Stillen if you want, but don't do it because of this. Do it because their customer service sucks, and their prices are too high. What they did here was purely business like.
Interestingly, I've never had a problem with Stillen's Customer Service Department, and I've had a couple of interactions with them. As usual, if I treat people with respect, I'm treated with respect in return. And if I'm willing to allow people to make mistakes and I courteously give them an opportunity to correct them, they'll usually do just that. At least that's been my experience.

I also hear a great deal about how overpriced Stillen's products are. But I find compelling Stillen's argument that they invest much of the R&D to develop products other people knock off. Without having to invest in R&D, it's no wonder that others can sell their products more cheaply. They just buy the Stillen product and fabricate their product off of that. And those manufacturers who actually have to do their own R&D like Place Racing or use higher quality components like Cattman sell their products at a premium over Stillen's. But you never hear anybody b!tch about that. So go figure!
Old 06-10-2001, 06:55 PM

i agree with you guys, but cheston had asked to set up a booth and he did so then they ask him to shut it down ???.... and cattman wasnt actively selling any products.....

and if you think for one second that the maxima is stillens bread and butter, think again.... i dont know how Stillen will do compared to Brabus and AMG with the MB modding, but i wouldnt even let Team Stillen replace a spark plug on an MB that i own.

Stillen does make decent things, but most of it is stuff that is rebadged as stillen. Stillen as a company is probably very profitable but where they really need help is Customer Service's ..... ask Jane lol
Old 06-10-2001, 07:03 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Ditto

Originally posted by yongjun
That's exactly why I have nothing stillen on my car.
Stillen cheapa*s *****... I've never dealt with them and will never give them an ounce of business for as long as I own my Maxima. I'd rather obtain noteworthy items such as Stillen rsb from fellow Maxima owners and wait around for 'ethical' companies like Cattman to come out with their products thru R&D.

Peace
Old 06-10-2001, 07:08 PM

Re: Ditto

Originally posted by 97MaxGurl

Stillen cheapa*s *****... I've never dealt with them and will never give them an ounce of business for as long as I own my Maxima. I'd rather obtain noteworthy items such as Stillen rsb from fellow Maxima owners and wait around for 'ethical' companies like Cattman to come out with their products thru R&D.

Peace
So it's OK for you to have a Stillen product on your car as long as you don't buy it from Stillen?

I guess you must not think very highly of the "fellow Maxima owners" you purchase your "noteworthy" Stillen parts from.
Old 06-10-2001, 07:17 PM

Re: Ditto

I'd rather obtain noteworthy items such as Stillen rsb from fellow Maxima owners and wait around for 'ethical' companies like Cattman to come out with their products thru R&D.

Peace
you're still buying Stillen & they're still making their $$$
Old 06-10-2001, 07:52 PM
Vic

Re: Re: Ditto

not really... the original purchaser from stillen would be supporting stillen. She gets the parts from a friend for little or no $. She then removes all the stillen badging that stillen puts on other peoples parts (YES, stillen buys parts from taiwan and other small countries) and installs them =)

Vic

Old 06-10-2001, 07:55 PM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Re: Further Clearification

Stillen may very well made money from others but they're not making money from me direct, correct? The money for my 'used' Stillen bar goes to the previous owner, NOT STILLEN.
Posted by y2kseSo it's OK for you to have a Stillen product on your car as long as you don't buy it from Stillen?
I guess you must not think very highly of the "fellow Maxima owners" you purchase your "noteworthy" Stillen parts from.
I'm not going to tell other Maxima owners who and where they should OR should not buy from. To each their own. For I do think highly of fellow Maxima owners in their ability and right to choose, except for you.

I may be displeased by Stillen's business ethics and practices, that's not to say they do not produce 'noteworthy' products such as that of their RSB.

nuff said
Old 06-10-2001, 08:18 PM

Re: Re: Further Clearification

For I do think highly of fellow Maxima owners in their ability and right to choose, except for you.

Old 06-10-2001, 08:35 PM

Re: Re: Further Clearification

Stillen may very well made money from others but they're not making money from me direct, correct? The money for my 'used' Stillen bar goes to the previous owner, NOT STILLEN.

I'm not going to tell other Maxima owners who and where they should OR should not buy from. To each their own. For I do think highly of fellow Maxima owners in their ability and right to choose, except for you.

I may be displeased by Stillen's business ethics and practices, that's not to say they do not produce 'noteworthy' products such as that of their RSB.

nuff said
n e 1 else getting excited?
Old 06-10-2001, 09:02 PM

I've had bad experiences with Stillen, i.e. returns and customer service department... and that is why I choose not to buy from stillen. The whole deal with Cheston and Mr. Catts is interesting. People viewing this are not going to think highly of Stillen and Mr. Millen. But, business is business, which many you should know b/c Stillen charges a bundle for things they R&D themselves and things they don't(They wanted to charge me over $220 for an Optima until I told them I saw one that summit sold for $130). In my opinion, they are in the business of selling and that's it. They could truly care less if your an enthusiast or even if you like their product as long as it still sells and they still get paid. One company I won't bother dealing with again...
Old 06-10-2001, 09:31 PM

I think I mis-understood the first round.

If Brian was just a guy walking around, then why would Steve throw him out? Is there any truth to the "Hi, I'm Catts, I'm your competitor"? If so, then Brian was asking to be known, and seen as an instigator?

Unless he was actively "selling" or "pitching" his stuff, I don't know why Stillen would remove him.

With Cheston, its a toss-up. He doesn't actively sell these products, but he does "promote" them for others. Those "others" aren't the guys at Stillen. Its a kinda grey area.

People always complain about Stillen's pricing, customer service, etc. If Stillen didn't have people paying $220 for a $130 battery........you see where this ends up? hehe

Consider the source of your frustration.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:46 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
Unless he [Brian] was actively "selling" or "pitching" his stuff, I don't know why Stillen would remove him.
I didn't hang out around Brian's car all that much, Don. But while he wasn't actively "selling" or "pitching" his stuff, it's clear that he didn't come to the event just to check out what was going on. Brian is a savvy business person. And from what I could gather, he played the hand Stillen dealt him to perfection.
Old 06-10-2001, 09:57 PM
is invisible

What an ***...

so when does the ban on Stillen go in effect?
Old 06-10-2001, 10:01 PM

If Brian was just a guy walking around, then why would Steve throw him out? Is there any truth to the "Hi, I'm Catts, I'm your competitor"? If so, then Brian was asking to be known, and seen as an instigator?

I think it is just common courtesy to introduce yourself if you are a competitior at a show someone else is putting on. I would assume by doing that he was showing that he had nothing to hide, and if it did bother anyone at Stillen that he was there then that would be the time and place to let him know. . . Others may see this differently though.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:06 PM
is invisible

He's right and reluctantly...

Originally posted by y2kse

I'm afraid I'll have to join ohboiya on this one. Steve Millen is running a business and Maxima Day was a business-sponsored event. That means that on Stillen's property, Stillen's time and Stillen's money, Steve makes the rules. And if Steve doesn't want competition on his premises, low-profile or otherwise, then that's his right. I, for one, have no argument with that.

I should also mention the obvious fact that a lot of the aftermarket products available for the Maxima were originally designed by Stillen. And some of those parts are still exclusive to Stillen. So whatever I may think of Steve Millen personally, I owe him a debt of gratitude. And if you've got any aftermarket parts on your Maxima, Stillen or otherwise, you probably do too.
I'll have to agree.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:51 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Is there any truth to the "Hi, I'm Catts, I'm your competitor"?
He said that at the autograph table (right after me), so I heard it. It was more like, "Hi, I'm Brian Catts, your competitor." I was like
Old 06-10-2001, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

He said that at the autograph table (right after me), so I heard it. It was more like, "Hi, I'm Brian Catts, your competitor." I was like

Then you should have started a fight and sneak off with some s/c for the 5th gens kev
You never think about our best interest do ya
Old 06-10-2001, 11:18 PM
PhatGuy

The shorter the better??

i c that u have the stillen sts ... i hope u can answer a coupla questions ...

1. do u know how long the throws r?
2. if u could .. would u shorten the throws or is it just rite?

tkx .. i'm trying 2 determine how long my throws should b on my smc sts
I think the stillen sts is 25% less throw than stock. I have one installed on my 2K1 (it seems even better than 25%). I could not drive a Max 5spd without a STS...I highly recommend one!

Old 06-10-2001, 11:19 PM

That's when you get the fight started and you steal a couple of s/c for YJ
Old 06-10-2001, 11:35 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by yongjun

That's when you get the fight started and you steal a couple of s/c for YJ
Hahahaha.... sure Jelly Boy.
Old 06-11-2001, 01:18 AM

man...i never knew this happened...i think i left like around 1:30 to 2:00... that bitez...we should boycott stillen...mainly for me...their freakin prices are so damn expensive...now i'm sorry i even have one of their products on my car...but i bought it used so it wasn't that bad...but i think i'm gonna sell the stillen exhaust...it was funny though...the guy putting the stillen stickers on the car asked me if i wanted one...and i was like hell no...lol...no stickers for me
Old 06-11-2001, 01:41 AM

Yeah and then after that he ($tillen) said I hate you.

Chris
Old 06-11-2001, 01:53 AM

Ok. This is how it always happens. Somebody flames stillen or someone else and everybody jumps on the bandwagon. That's funny that this subject comes up since me and a couple of other guys were taking the facility tour and talking to stillen's sales manager about the exact subject. He was telling us about the hate e-mails he'd received after my4dsc2000's superchager problem and a whole bunch of other stuff. He also said that emails didn't bother him much since it was a bunch of people jumping on the flame bandwagon and just writing him, which is very true. I hope this response doesn't start yet another "boycott stillen" post as this one has already become. Stillen's prices are to make a profit to stay in business. That is how any business is, the reason I don't buy from them is I can get similar functionality items for less elsewhere such as my FSTB for $20 and my Addco RSB for $75. We took a tour around the whole facility and it shows that stillen takes a lot of their time and money to develop the much needed products for our cars. As far as their response to Brian and Cheston, well...Cheston was promoting displaying his products at the table, which would be a conflict of interest for stillen, Brian however, just displayed his car to the people that came by and explained his setup and upcoming products. He did not actively pursue business, but rather enlightened us on the cool stuff that can be done to the maxima. He's a very nice guy, and so is Steve. To all the people that said that the reasoning behind stillen behavior was the disruption of their sales event..you're wrong. The whole event was to show the new product and to allow the public to take a look at behind the scenes look of stillen's facility. In no way was it designed to be a major revenue source event.

I'm done..

Flame this at your own will, but please say something that makes some kind of common sense and something that involves you, not just some stupid hear say.
Old 06-11-2001, 07:10 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by capmaxima99

Yeah and then after that he ($tillen) said I hate you.

Chris
I heard that too but I thought my mind was playing tricks on my. Jane asked me if Steve said that but I took it that we didn't hear it right. Man, what an @$$!!!
Old 06-11-2001, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by BrianV
This is my reason for boycotting them.
I think Cheston and Brian should have bought a cup of coffee from Steve to how he would have reacted.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:01 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i think that mr.cattman screwed his self by walking up to stillen and saying "hi, i am your comp". kind of boastful. but before he is a competitor i would like to believe that he is a maxima lover like everyone else out there. he should have been able to stay. if jim wolf showed up, would they have kicked him out too? now cheston on the other hand setting up a tent is kind of pushing the limit. i understand both sides of argument though. but it makes you wonder why doesnt stillen make things like an adjustable coilovers or a cold air intake. carbon fiber hoods, cheap big brake kits projector head lights, different body kits bring back the type II wing and add more wings. it seems like when other people try to come out with this stuff stillen wants to hate on them. i dunno? i have a stillen y-pipe and i think it works great. i paid 290$ for it and i did not have any problems with customer service. but thats just me. is there anyway to get somebody from stillen onto this board to see wassup? well on the lighter side maybe cheston, cattman and stillen should have settled it the we handle things here in atl. stoplight to stoplight!
Old 06-11-2001, 08:04 AM

It seems like it just depends on who your sales person is and what day it is. The only bad experience I had with them was when I inherited a new sales guy after my previous one left. This guy never followed up on anything I asked for. I finally was in immediate need of something and insisted on speaking to someone else. That was a guy named Kevin Wynn. Never had a problem after that. Price wise, they are high if you're only getting one or two things. I waited until I was buying several large things like my whole brake package, Greddy exhaust and intake all at once. Got what I feel was a fair discount for everything in a large order. It also saves on shipping. But you are paying for their R&D on some things as someone mentioned earlier.
As for Maxima Day, I wasn't there, but I wouldn't be happy either if someone else showed up to MY sales event selling their own stuff. I'd probably tactfully ask them to desist also.
If I get a 2002 next year I probably will only be able to get one thing at a time for it so I will be shopping around first for things like springs, shocks, wheels and tires. When I first heard of them I thought they were the only game in town. Now I know better. Most things you can get anywhere. They will have to be competitive and very helpful, or there won't be a big Stillen windshield visor decal on my next car.
Old 06-11-2001, 08:17 AM

REALLY?????????????

Originally posted by Stillnmax
Stillen is Crappy stuff sold to us at a premium price...... i could design so many better things than stillen stuff, maybe after a bit i will. Wow who would think that Stevey would be such a *****, i feel bad for his son.... growing up knowing that his dad is a Jerk0ff
REALLY?????? YOU COULD DESIGN IT BETTER???? well, then why don't you, they were the ones who put the time and $ to come up with the product, you don't have to buy it, if you could make a better product then go for it, we'll buy it from you

Konstantin
Old 06-11-2001, 08:56 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
i'll host a MaximaDriver.com fun day or something in the summer... u know. just to hang out and race or something..

but this is ridiculous.. Stillen is a joke. first me (lowly 21 yearold with a website) now cattman.

i mean. thats just wrong.

#1 is customer base, and the way this is going, i hope stillen gets punished by their "loyal" fan base via boycott or something..

%!@#%@

this is worse than Altezza lights. Catts is the damn.
wtf millen.
I was there and didnt know about this!! Altezzas are bEtter than this!! of course! Sory to hear about brian.. now know why you were keeping your proto brakes in the trunk. man that sux!! the brake looks good though!!
Old 06-11-2001, 10:14 AM

Wow, sounds like an interesting day. I'm not of the mindset to do anything rash like boycott, but from my own personal experience I can understand some of the frustration with Stillen. As far as the customer service, I had the same experience as maximizd27. I had a great sales rep about 3 years ago when I still had my SE-R, then he left and I ended up with a jerk. Unfortunately, I don't know of many larger companies that don't have both good and bad customer service.

Some people will always flock to the biggest or most well known name in business. For Nissans, Stillen had developed that reputation. I know I have fallen into that trap myself at times.

For me, it's good that I'm in the beginning stages of upgrading my Max because there are more options today then there were a couple of years ago. That doesn't change the fact that when it comes to certain upgrades, only Stillen makes them and if you're not an engineer or mechanic and just an enthusiast, like myself, then you wait on maximadriver, cattman, warpspeed or whoever else to give you options at comparable quality and hopefully a cheaper price.

Such is the life of a consumer...

Though I'll give my 2 cents on whether I like the looks or performance of an aftermarket product, I'm always glad when somebody else steps into the marketplace (i.e. Budget Exhaust performance y-pipe, Altezza lights) and gives me another option. It sparks good conversation and debate and hopefully keeps all aftermarkets pushing for more products... both in quantity and quality.

Holla...
Old 06-11-2001, 12:38 PM

i could make one now, but i dont have the time or $$$ to start a project over night .... i have designs and such things..... moron
Old 06-11-2001, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Stillnmax
..... moron
Stillnmax, you simply must learn to become less self-effacing!

Old 06-11-2001, 02:03 PM

Herbs .. where r u?

Originally posted by Herbs
Wow, sounds like an interesting day. I'm not of the mindset to do anything rash like boycott, but from my own personal experience I can understand some of the frustration with Stillen. As far as the customer service, I had the same experience as maximizd27. I had a great sales rep about 3 years ago when I still had my SE-R, then he left and I ended up with a jerk. Unfortunately, I don't know of many larger companies that don't have both good and bad customer service.

Some people will always flock to the biggest or most well known name in business. For Nissans, Stillen had developed that reputation. I know I have fallen into that trap myself at times.

For me, it's good that I'm in the beginning stages of upgrading my Max because there are more options today then there were a couple of years ago. That doesn't change the fact that when it comes to certain upgrades, only Stillen makes them and if you're not an engineer or mechanic and just an enthusiast, like myself, then you wait on maximadriver, cattman, warpspeed or whoever else to give you options at comparable quality and hopefully a cheaper price.

Such is the life of a consumer...

Though I'll give my 2 cents on whether I like the looks or performance of an aftermarket product, I'm always glad when somebody else steps into the marketplace (i.e. Budget Exhaust performance y-pipe, Altezza lights) and gives me another option. It sparks good conversation and debate and hopefully keeps all aftermarkets pushing for more products... both in quantity and quality.

Holla...

r u in TO? asking b/c u got the Budget Exhaust ... or did u get off the internet?
Old 06-11-2001, 03:13 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

I love Stillen. My sale's guys Kenny @ ext. 185 is my best friend and he hooks me up with retail prices all time. I can't believe I'm getting such a good deal. My hero is the Customer Service manager Bill. He goes out of his way to hook me up with a bolt for my camber kit for $200. What another great deal!!! I can't wait to talk to them again because they care so much about me and my Maxima. I LOVE YOU STILLEN!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2001, 03:21 PM

if the event was funded by stillen and hosted by stillen, then what right at all do you have to use their space to promote your products?
i find it quite amazing how people are saying stupid **** like "**** stillen" and boycott them when they in no way did anything wrong
i doubt stillen would feel any financial pressure even if you all DID boycott their products
Old 06-11-2001, 03:27 PM

That's a buncha bullshiet. I'm adding BOYCOTT STILLEN! to my sig. I hope I will like your prototype body kit because I don't feel like buying any Stillen products. I hope Cattman comes out with a S/C so I don't have to go through Stillen. There are so many complaints about Stillen that I don't want any of their business. examples 1.) bad customer service, 2.)ridiculous prices 3.)long waits for replies 4.) and many other reasons.

Victor

Quick Reply: Behind the Scene at MaximaDay.. MUST READ!!