General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Pop Charger.......Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 12:09 AM
90maximaSE

Hey I posted this question about what was the difference between a pop charger & a cold air intake in the 3rd Gen. forum but they weren't any help. So what is the difference between the two & what will each do? Thanks for helping me out here.

Old 06-10-2001, 12:32 AM

The POP intake will be under the hood. It lets the car breather more, with slightly better performance, but also sucks in hot under the hood air, which does not help for performance. Its costs less then the CAI, and no modification to the car's body is needed to install.

The CAI (Cold Air Intake) is the same thing, except the filer is located out side the engine bay, in your finder well, providing nice cold air for better performance over the POP intake, but costs more, and you have to cut a hole behind your battery tray to install.
Old 06-10-2001, 12:52 AM
90maximaSE

ok.....

Originally posted by TexMaximum
The POP intake will be under the hood. It lets the car breather more, with slightly better performance, but also sucks in hot under the hood air, which does not help for performance. Its costs less then the CAI, and no modification to the car's body is needed to install.

The CAI (Cold Air Intake) is the same thing, except the filer is located out side the engine bay, in your finder well, providing nice cold air for better performance over the POP intake, but costs more, and you have to cut a hole behind your battery tray to install.

So do they both increase your hp the same?

Old 06-10-2001, 01:00 AM

I already answered that question for you "nice cold air for better performance over the POP intake"
Old 06-10-2001, 01:48 AM

Originally posted by TexMaximum
I already answered that question for you "nice cold air for better performance over the POP intake"
Not completely true...check out this link to get the real dirt on POP vs. CAI....
http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html
Old 06-10-2001, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The CAI and POP charger have the same purpose; freeing up air flo into your engine. The POP charger does it by using a very short pipe, thereby reducing any air flow losses thru the pipe. The CAI does it by putting itself in a position to grab nothing but cold air.

Drawbacks??

1. The POP charger, aka JWT POP charger, Stillen Intake, and others, while having a short pipe, sits right inside the engine bay, so it has a tendency to grab hot air.

2. The CAI, with it's filter positioned away from the engine, just above the left foglight, grabs nothing but the cold air from outside. To get that cold air, it has to be routed thru this longer pipe, and may be subject to frictional losses due to the air travelling thru the pipe into the throttle body. Also, to install the CAI, you have to cut a hole in your fender. Once installed,however, on the 4th gen at least, you can't even see the hole afterwards.

As for which one's better, the debate rages on. The differences may be minimal, but, the CAI does sound better. The POP costs less and involves no physical cutting up of your car.

As for this test comparing the 2 types of intakes, the articale below does state that it is not a completely fair comparison b/c of different cars etc, but I think it also leaves out one significant measurement; the torque dyno measurement throughtout the rev band. That would have been very interesting. I would think that the CAI would increase the torque better than the POP for most of the rev band until you get to the higher RPMs, like 4500 RPM and above.

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/caivssi.html

Anyway, I have a CAI and I absolutely love it

DW

Originally posted by 90maximaSE
Hey I posted this question about what was the difference between a pop charger & a cold air intake in the 3rd Gen. forum but they weren't any help. So what is the difference between the two & what will each do? Thanks for helping me out here.
Old 06-10-2001, 05:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One other thing I noticed when I installed my CAI. Where the hole was supposed to be cut, there was already a circular outline in the fender exactly where I was supposed to cut the hole for the CAI. It was as if Nissan was about to use it (for the CAI, I wonder??) but decided against it. I wonder if anyone else noticed that in their car.

DW
Old 06-10-2001, 07:15 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by 90maximaSE
Just to clear up as to why we weren't of "any help" to you.

A) you posted a question that is posted once a week.

B) DA-Max pointed you to use the search function...i'll do it for you..here's a link...

http://forums.maxima.org/search.php?...der=descending

C) i said use the FAQ...very valid advice...here you go...

"P E R F O R M A N C E

Intake Systems:

What intake systems are available for my Maxima?
If you have a 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation Maxima, you can get either the Stillen, JWT PopCharger, or The Place Racing cold air intake. There are also a lot of different kits out there that can fit on a Maxima, but the only thing to watch out for is the foam type filters. Foam tends to break down over time. You do not want to sucking in foam. It is definately not going to help performance.

What's a cold air intake and where can I buy it?
It is an intake system where cooler air is brought in from outside of the engine bay, unlike the other systems. The filter for the CAI sits inside the driver side wheel well. Though it appears that water can be a problem, till this day no CAI owners has reported problems while using it. You can order the CAI either through Cattman Performance or through Place Racing directly.

Which intake system is the best?
The CAI makes the most horsepower. The Stillen and JWT are about equal. The JWT is the cheapest with the CAI being the most expensive. With the CAI, you will have to drill a 3" diameter hole in the fender well because the filter for the system sits in the fender well to suck in cool air."

now try to do a little research once in awhile...im sorry if our advice was too difficult or too much work for you
Old 06-10-2001, 05:14 PM

Well, I've had both, and during the summer, and if you live anywhere half as hot at El Paso, I'm telling you the CAI is better for HP and pulls harder, and yeilds better ETs regardless of that that dyno read.