General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

car wax recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2001, 04:05 AM
buffotoad

What car wax do you use to keep your Maxima looking great? Anything out there that is easy to use, sparkles like a diamond, and lasts?
And, do you use wax AND polish?

Old 06-10-2001, 05:59 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

It depends on the condition of your paint. Your profile indicates that you have a '98. How often do you wash it? Wax it? A good test is to thoroghly wash and dry your car. Run your finger along the paint. If you feel little bumps in the paint, you have dirt, road grime etc...imbedded in your wax and or clear coat. Some car parts stores carry a 'clay bar' that can pull this dirt out of the clear coat.

My car has been parked outside all yr. I haven't been able to take great care of it. So I'm bringing it to a detailing guy I trust that is going to buff it, and get rid of some dirt and particles that are in my paint. If the paint isn't clean, you will just be waxing dirt into the clear coat. It may look better than not waxing at all, but it's not the proper way to take care of the paint.

There are different kinds of waxes out there. Some have cleaners in them, some have none. If you don't think your paint is in pefect condition, you might want to consider 'Mother's Wax and Cleaner' I don't know it waxes and cleans at the same time, but that's what it claims to do. When I get my car buffed, I am going to use a brand called 'Ardex.' It has no cleaners and my detailing guy said that it works well with dark, non-metallic paints like Super Black (my color).

I read up on this stuff quite often, and there is alot of information on this topic! I actaully got a book from Barnes and Noble that was pretty helpful
Old 06-10-2001, 06:18 AM

Everyone has their own preferences. Some like Meguiars, others like Mothers, IBIZ, Zaino, etc. My preference is 3M detailing products. I tried a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class polish and did not like the way it came off. The 3M comes off much smoother and easier.
Old 06-10-2001, 10:36 AM

I use meguires 3=step system and that works great for me.
Old 06-10-2001, 06:15 PM

I use Mother's 3 step system, but for a lot of info, check out this forum (just talks about detailing). http://216.147.22.29/forum/index.php3
Old 06-11-2001, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SLightly off the topic, but what do people use on the interior, like dasha dn panels?
I am not a fan of Armour All. I have a 98 and have not used anything so far.
Old 06-11-2001, 10:56 AM

Interior-- dash, panels....

Lexol is very good. Or you can try a cheaper Meguir's, which I use also and it is good.
Old 06-11-2001, 11:12 AM

i decided to use the stuff from griots garage (www.griotsgarage.com). no, i dont work for them; i just decided to give their stuff a try and i'm impressed by the results.

they sell a clay bar, and a spray lubricant (also detailing wax) called "speed shine". i also used their "best of show" wax for the first time this last weekend, and my car looks super shiny! also i used their "vinyl and rubber dressing" for the tires and the dash.

the downside is that their stuff is a bit pricey, but they seem to have good customer service, and their products are guaranteed for life (!).

my impressions -- the clay bar was 8oz., not the 4oz. pieces that the other clay bars i have seen.

the "best of show" wax is very good ($19.95 for a 16oz. bottle, expensive, but it may be worth it). so far (3days), i noticed that there is no dust settling on it (which seems to happen really quickly when i used zymol. (don't know, is it possible that a wax is "statically charged" and attracts dust?). also, i have to say it was not the easiest wax to take off (zymol was easier), but it didnt leave all the dried wax bits after wiping. they say that you only have to wax 4 times a year, with cleanings in between, using "speed shine". we'll see about that.

the vinyl and rubber dressing is good, i like it because it is not overly shiny (i like the satin look).

i'm satisfied with the car care products from griots, i would recommend checking them out; if anything, they also sell some cool car related stuff (like a $600 aluminum floor jack).

sorry if this sounds like advertising, but just my 2 cents. oh and if you do decide to something from them, see if the product comes in a "kit". i didn't buy a kit the first time i bought the clay, and the second time i wanted the wax, i bought it in a "kit" and it came with another clay. could've saved some money if i bought the "kit" in the first place.

dfwmax