General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The Japanese automaker will also unveil its redesigned flagship Maxima in New York.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006 | 07:19 PM

I really like the look of the refreshened 6th gen...but I agree about the CVT. I drove a Murano and it just felt wierd, not something for a sporty sedan. I guess buyers who want performance will just go for the manual version.
Old 04-01-2006 | 07:45 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by SR-71 Blackbird
It can't be worse that the crime against humanity that is the 4th/5th gen 5spd which likes to eat differential bearings and which has a pos 5th gear which is shorter than an albino midget.

The 6th gen really isn't that much different than the 4th and 5th gens. They are all built on the same platform.
6th gen is built on the altima platform
Old 04-01-2006 | 07:52 PM
Helicopters! Money!!!

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
6th gen is built on the altima platform
Which is the same platform as a 4th and 5th gen.
Old 04-01-2006 | 07:56 PM
vsamoylov

not true. maxima had its own platform for the 4th gen and 5th gen. then the new altima came out and the maxima started to use that platform. you ever take a look at the platform at all? 6th gen is completly different from the 4th and 5th gen.
Old 04-01-2006 | 08:02 PM
Droppin logs

404 Bigdealnotfound
Old 04-01-2006 | 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Zog
Appreciate it. We used to have people that were just sig police, I guess we don't anymore. My laptop's screen isn't that big.....
Lol, it took up like 1/3 of the screen on mine, so i didn't even think anything of it
Old 04-02-2006 | 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 007max
the 2nd gen i had had many more features than my 4th gen... or any 4th gen for that matter
Yep the 2nd gens are what really put the Maxima on the map (Sporty and Luxurious) and yes they came with tons of features back then. No other Japanese car came close except for the Cressida at that time. Even when they introduced the Legend in 86 it still did not have some of the features the Maxima or Cressida had at that time.
Old 04-02-2006 | 03:05 PM

time to move onto something different.... gonna put a down payment on a m3 with my max next yr.
Old 04-02-2006 | 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike
Murano comes to mind.
.....and I'm not too impressed with it myself.
Old 04-02-2006 | 03:41 PM

Just to expand on what vsamoylov correctly indicated:
4G = A32
5G = A33
6G = 3G Altima derived FFL platform.
Old 04-02-2006 | 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Yep the 2nd gens are what really put the Maxima on the map (Sporty and Luxurious) and yes they came with tons of features back then. No other Japanese car came close except for the Cressida at that time. Even when they introduced the Legend in 86 it still did not have some of the features the Maxima or Cressida had at that time.
I still recall seeing the 1987 Maxima SE as one of the SHARPEST sedans on the market back then. It was probably the only Asian sedan that was regarded in the same manner as the popular E30 BMW and MB 190. The Toyota Cressida and 1G Legend were decent but neither seem to have the Maxima's cool factor. Quite simply, the 2G Maxima was the car to get.

Side question: Didnt either the SE or GXE have sonar suspension and a digital dashboard??
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:22 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by F23A4
I still recall seeing the 1987 Maxima SE as one of the SHARPEST sedans on the market back then. It was probably the only Asian sedan that was regarded in the same manner as the popular E30 BMW and MB 190. The Toyota Cressida and 1G Legend were decent but neither seem to have the Maxima's cool factor. Quite simply, the 2G Maxima was the car to get.

Side question: Didnt either the SE or GXE have sonar suspension and a digital dashboard??
e30 was the best for its time especially the m3
Old 04-02-2006 | 07:49 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I think you're reading into the terminology a bit too much and taking it too literally. There is marketing buzz words in there and even if a car is just updated they'll still call it "new" to generate hype and sales. The Quest is "updated" (a lot) but it's not "all new" yet. He used the same "new" terminology for the Maxima which is in the same boat, and I think we're looking at a 6.1G, not a "7G". The "all-new" Altima is a full redesign for sure.

If it's really getting a CVT (God I hope not) then I will definitely not be buying the new/updated Max. May try to get a closeout '06, that is, if I decide on getting another Maxima.
have you guys not noticed this?
They've been planning this move for the last 8 years, probably longer.
back at Maxus 2000, we had some guys from Nissan NA show up and talk to us about their plans for the car. their overall goal was to make the flagship (Maxima) exactly that. Q45 territory, not just a "nice sporty FWD" like is has been for the last 10 years..

In order to do that, they need something to fill that gap... which is why the altima is almost exactly like the current Maxima..... and why the current Sentra is almost exactly like the older altimas... everything is moving up a step on the model line.

it's been in the works for nearly a decade, and you people seem to think the sky is falling because of this news. :shrug:
Old 04-02-2006 | 08:12 PM

I will always like Nissan, just look at the cars they have altimas always been UGLY! now look at it its a dime. when Maximas first came out it was an okay car then it just got better and better now look at it its straight up gutta. I just love it, the next car im going to buy when i get in my 20's is a NEW maxima like the ones out now.
Old 04-02-2006 | 08:47 PM
Wild for Width

I heard they were changing the name from "Maxima" to "Land-Yacht".
Old 04-02-2006 | 09:18 PM

I think it was the SE that came with adjustable shocks, with a button inside. The GXE and pretty much any 2G max (as long as the owner was willing to pay) had the digi dash as an option(mine has all the amenities)
Old 04-02-2006 | 11:28 PM

I have no idea what trim my 2nd gen was but it had both the adjustible suspension and the digital dash...

Old 04-03-2006 | 06:23 AM
SuPeRmOd

Should be an Org Sticky
get tired of reading, "I can't believe Nissan doesn't just keep making the Maxima like the {insert owner's gen here}!"
Originally Posted by Matt93SE
have you guys not noticed this?
They've been planning this move for the last 8 years, probably longer.
back at Maxus 2000, we had some guys from Nissan NA show up and talk to us about their plans for the car. their overall goal was to make the flagship (Maxima) exactly that. Q45 territory, not just a "nice sporty FWD" like is has been for the last 10 years..

In order to do that, they need something to fill that gap... which is why the altima is almost exactly like the current Maxima..... and why the current Sentra is almost exactly like the older altimas... everything is moving up a step on the model line.

it's been in the works for nearly a decade, and you people seem to think the sky is falling because of this news. :shrug:
oh, and here's about all the info you can possibly find on the 6.5gen aka 2007:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=450512
Old 04-04-2006 | 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Scriz92SE
I mean look at the 1st and 2nd Gen Maximas..they've only gotten better, they rise and fall just like every other company.

Hey! the 1st gen is not bad, it was in style at the time and is a good car! You just have to like 1980's styling and having a RWD car.
The second gen is also a nice car and was a move in the correct direction in terms of style and engine.
Old 04-04-2006 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Scriz92SE
Looks the exact same as a 6G to me

DIFFERENCES, HEADLIGHT SHAPE AND A SPOILER, WOOOO WHAT A BOAT it LOOKS to be the same size as the 6th Gen, as far as I'm concerned this WILL BE a 6th Gen, its not that significant of a change to be named the "7th Gen" Maxima.

If you wanna be a "front runner" and turn away from an auto company just because they put out an ugly car then why own a Nissan at all? Get a friggen grip, all automobile manufacturers have their rises and falls..I mean look at the 1st and 2nd Gen Maximas..they've only gotten better, they rise and fall just like every other company.

Agreed car companys put out ugly cars, sick buy them and buy a car that you think is ugly? No way not me,

From Edmunds:

LINK

Looks like the 6G is shaping up to be the shortest Maxima generation on record.
??? Looks like the 6G is shaping up to be the shortest Maxima generation on record at best its a 6.5, look at the changes between generations, why would this be a
7th Gen?
Old 04-04-2006 | 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky
hey, I resent that. i love my 2nd gen. It is not as good looking as the later gens, but it can hardly be equated to a fall or low point of the maxima line. It was the 80's for gods sake, did you expect them to look like a car nowadays? It was not a bad look for the time, in fact it looked better than other cars of those same years.

BTW it also had a few things that set it apart from the rest and it was the first maxima to have rear disc brakes(which some later generation maximas didn't even have (not sure about 4th gen and later though)), automatic volume control on the stock stereo, "automatic" climate control, keyless entry system (although quite unreliable), also the first maxima with a V6(correct me if I left anything else out). It was the car on which they tested all these features to see if it was viable later. So I really don't think it is a lowpoint at all.
Good point didn’t look at it that way.
Old 04-04-2006 | 03:51 PM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Hoooper
youre right, they started making nissans that go faster and be more fun than ever before. we call that a fake maxima because before 1996, all maximas were SLOW. it couldnt be a maxima after 1995 because they became quick.
Are you riding on a beam or IRS? You can't really compare different gens as they are basically exceeding what the competition put out. Third gens had only a few true rivals (mainly one was the SHO then the VE gave it a run for hell). THe VQ was then produced as the competition was offering lighter and more up to date machines. Afterwhich NIssan excelled as have the best engine for 10 + years. MAxima's still are slow. We just make them fast.
Old 04-04-2006 | 06:32 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Scope
MAxima's still are slow. We just make them fast.
Maxima's are fast, just not very quick compared to some sedans - but it's relatively good.
Old 04-04-2006 | 07:44 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
Looks are subjective.
Far from it...where did you get that idea from? There is an objective component to aesthetics and in most cases it is much more significant than the subjective component.

In my judgment (subjective plus what I believe to be objective), the 4th gen, 3rd gen, and 2nd gen are tied in terms of looks. All paragons of their own style (4th gen does curvy just right, and the 2nd gen is the epitome of boxy awesomeness). The 5th gen is worse and the 6th gen is a bloated pile-of-crap. Since this last fact is widely acknowledged, it is fair to say that objectively the 6th (and 6.5 gen) are objectively ugly cars. But that's just my opinion.
Old 04-05-2006 | 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by ALSOUSA99MAXIMA

??? Looks like the 6G is shaping up to be the shortest Maxima generation on record at best its a 6.5, look at the changes between generations, why would this be a
7th Gen?
:indifferencesmilie:
Old 04-05-2006 | 12:07 PM
Z

Dammit. No leaks yet? NYC Auto Show is in 8 days.
Old 04-05-2006 | 04:01 PM
Too obsessed

Originally Posted by SMX95
they stop making real maximas since 95.

When the VQ was born.

d@mn right! haha
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:38 PM

I like my 6th gen and thinks its a great car. It could use some help with a few handling quirks and some other things but over all it kills the Toyota and the Honda. I tried them all I am 6'3" and 230 lbs (bb not a fat ***) and I just don't fit in most cars. I had an 05 Altima first and it was ok but it had a blind spot so i had to get the bigger car. Max is only about 1" bigger but my near misses with pedestrians has diminished. My next car will be the BMW 550 or whatever the equivalent will be then. I like the idea of a sport sedan that I can fit in, and it doesn't rattle down the rd or ride like a Lincoln
Old 04-06-2006 | 12:41 PM
vsamoylov

Originally Posted by Smooth
I like my 6th gen and thinks its a great car. It could use some help with a few handling quirks and some other things but over all it kills the toyoata and the honda. I tried them all I am 6'3" and 230 lbs (bb not a fat ***) and I just dont fit in most cars. I had an 05 altima first and it was ok but it had a blind spot so i ahad to the bigger car. Max is only about 1" bigger but my near misses with pedestrians has diminished. My next car will be the BMW 550 or whatever the equivalent will be then. I like the idea of a sport sedan that I can fit in, and it doesnt rattle down the rd or ride like a lincoln
spell check man
Old 04-06-2006 | 02:07 PM

I feel sad and happy at the same time:
Sad, because I won't be buying a new Maxima any time soon
Happy, because I happen to own a Maxima I like the best.
Old 04-07-2006 | 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by vsamoylov
spell check man

Fixed it... I was in a hurry and didnt proof
Old 04-08-2006 | 12:30 AM
*moderator*

Originally Posted by VQuick
the 6th gen is a bloated pile-of-crap
For the record I love my "bloated pile of crap"
Again just my personal opinion...

Please insert your flaming here__________________
Old 04-08-2006 | 05:32 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The objective here is to subjectively be objective with the subject whereas I will base my objectivity on subjectivity LOL
Old 04-08-2006 | 01:53 PM

The 89-90 GXE had the sonar suspesion as a part of a package along with a digital dash that had heads up display it was cool, although it was/ is very expensive when things went wrong out of warranty to repair that suspension. Nissan dropped it for 91 on, also the 91 was the only Maxima year since the 1st gen not to offer auto climate control at all.