General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Thank goodness for fuel pressure gauges!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 02:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

I was just running my NOS when I noticed the fuel pressure suddenly drop from around 70psi to just above 50 psi. I immediatly shut it down, and I was only a block from home so I headed there. As soon as I opened the car door I smelled gas, so I popped the hood. A fuel line from the fuel pressure gauge sender to the FPSS had come partially off, and was leaking fuel everywhere. I had everything nice and tight, and you can still see the grooves in the line from the clamp. I guess the extra boost of fuel pressure just popped it off. I will be looking into a better way of securing the lines, maybe try to find some wider clamps or something. If you are using NOS, I would deffinetly recommend a Fuel pressure gauge!!!
Old 06-13-2001, 02:16 PM
Administrator

well i cut my fuel line finishing up my install on saturday night.. my fightments were not the right size.. so i jused an attachment to put it back together..

i don't have a FP gauge ..
Old 06-13-2001, 02:38 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by SprintMax
well i cut my fuel line finishing up my install on saturday night.. my fightments were not the right size.. so i jused an attachment to put it back together..

i don't have a FP gauge ..
I would recomend you get one Sprint. They are only like $70-80, and an added piece of mind. True, the kit does come with a FPSS, but so far I have had trouble getting it set up right, so it's worthless right now. I was planning on doing a couple of runs before I noticed the fuel pressure drop off, so it definetly saved my a$$. Good luck with your kit. When ya gonna do your first run?
Old 06-13-2001, 02:51 PM
Administrator

what? i thought they were like $200

Originally posted by mtrai760

I would recomend you get one Sprint. They are only like $70-80, and an added piece of mind. True, the kit does come with a FPSS, but so far I have had trouble getting it set up right, so it's worthless right now. I was planning on doing a couple of runs before I noticed the fuel pressure drop off, so it definetly saved my a$$. Good luck with your kit. When ya gonna do your first run?
Old 06-13-2001, 02:56 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by SprintMax
what? i thought they were like $200

Damn, I don't have the part number around right now, but go to www.summitracing.com I got mine for under $90. That's what I thought before about the cost, until I saw one of there adds in SCC or somewhere. I just moved so all my crap is still packed, but I'll see if I can find you the part # later.
Old 06-13-2001, 02:59 PM
Administrator

cooo

Damn, I don't have the part number around right now, but go to www.summitracing.com I got mine for under $90. That's what I thought before about the cost, until I saw one of there adds in SCC or somewhere. I just moved so all my crap is still packed, but I'll see if I can find you the part # later.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the FP guages with the electric sender are more expensive. those are the $200 ones. the regular ones are less than $100.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:24 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by sx7r
the FP guages with the electric sender are more expensive. those are the $200 ones. the regular ones are less than $100.

I have an electric one, not a mechanical one. I will post the part number later
Old 06-13-2001, 03:43 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Sprintmax

Here ya go http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=22573 if the link doesn't work, it's part number ATM-5709 $79.99 Electrical, you will need some extra wire and fuel line, but thats it. It has a light that you wire into your dimmer switch too. Hope this helps.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:49 PM

I have an electric one, not a mechanical one. I will post the part number later
well, i went to summitracing.com and did a little research. turns out they have electric fuel pressure gauges for around $90, but there's a catch... they are short sweep gauges - not full sweep. like this one(part# ATM-4309):

the electric ones that are around $200 are the full sweep, like this one(part# ATM-4463):

the difference would be that the full sweep is more accurate and easier to read/see, but that's about it.
Old 06-13-2001, 03:59 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: Re: Sprintmax

Originally posted by sx7r

didn't see that one when i searched, but that's a pretty good deal then.
Yeah, it doesn't come up for some reason in the normal search, probably because it is a good deal. Your right about the sweep though, it is not a full sweep, but it serves it's purpose, especially for the price.
Old 06-13-2001, 06:04 PM

I have the short sweep, I got it over the full sweep because I'm cheep like that

BTW, Yall should look at getting the FPSS working. Properly set up its a better life saver than the gauge. You can PM me and I'll give ya my phone number so I can help you with it. Its very important.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:59 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax
I have the short sweep, I got it over the full sweep because I'm cheep like that

BTW, Yall should look at getting the FPSS working. Properly set up its a better life saver than the gauge. You can PM me and I'll give ya my phone number so I can help you with it. Its very important.
Thanx MardigrasMax. I want to mess with it a little bit more, I know I need to get it working, I just haven't had the time. Ive had my RSB in my trunk for a week now, and I just got a NOS leak fixed, which is why I gave it a shot today. It's all fixed now, this weekend I will probably try it again, I got a copy of your instructions from Synki, but if I need anymore help I'll PM ya. Thanks again
Old 06-13-2001, 11:11 PM

alright!!! mtrai760 is back

wassup bro!! im getting my car back tomarrow from the dealer. they swapped another tranny and im getting my rims on saturday. now i gotta get a job to pay it off. hehe ITS good to see all the NOS running guys participating in this thread
Old 06-14-2001, 10:11 AM
'Trynna' is not a word

Re: alright!!! mtrai760 is back

Originally posted by nizmolee
wassup bro!! im getting my car back tomarrow from the dealer. they swapped another tranny and im getting my rims on saturday. now i gotta get a job to pay it off. hehe ITS good to see all the NOS running guys participating in this thread

ANOTHER TRANNY...WTF?!?! Wayne, NO more neutral drops!!! So your tranny sleeps with the fishes huh? HA HA. I guess those problems you had last week didn't go away. But your not under warrenty anymore, did you have to pay for the new tranny? That sucks man. You need to hurry up and install your NOS. Did you get the VB yet? Take it easy on this tranny man, I think your setting a new record for bad MAX tranny's!!!
Old 06-14-2001, 04:47 PM

hey bro,
its not my fault if the maxima TRANNY SUX!!!hehe, i just got my car back today and the tranny is good as new. I still have it under warranty. I have about 800 miles left. so its all good. The guy at Connell nissan said that i cant use my aftermarket tranny cooler anymore b/c it has to much metal debris in there. and he said that the max has a stock tranny cooler which runs through the radiator. i dunno. Im not gonna hook up the tranny cooler. About the VB mod. Dons drowning in his work and cant really get back to me yet. So yes, im waiting for the VB mod. I got my Alpine unit today and cant wait to get it installed this weekend. ttyl bro Your missing out on so many cute hunnies ..ehhe
Old 06-14-2001, 06:09 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Originally posted by nizmolee
hey bro,
its not my fault if the maxima TRANNY SUX!!!hehe, i just got my car back today and the tranny is good as new. I still have it under warranty. I have about 800 miles left. so its all good. The guy at Connell nissan said that i cant use my aftermarket tranny cooler anymore b/c it has to much metal debris in there. and he said that the max has a stock tranny cooler which runs through the radiator. i dunno. Im not gonna hook up the tranny cooler. About the VB mod. Dons drowning in his work and cant really get back to me yet. So yes, im waiting for the VB mod. I got my Alpine unit today and cant wait to get it installed this weekend. ttyl bro Your missing out on so many cute hunnies ..ehhe
That's a bunch of BS man. Just flush the thing out and it will be fine. The cooler in the radiator isn't really a cooler per-say. It heats up the tranny fluid faster, and then maintains it around the same temp as the radiator. Better than nothing, yes; Good enough with the VB mod, No. THe cooler is just a tube bent around. Take it out and run some fluid through there until it comes out clean. Use a white cloth to strain it through and you will be able to see if there is any metal still in there. Good luck. Your missing all the fine hunnies up here, ha ha ha.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:21 PM
Disco Biscuit

Just a tip, to help keep the hose on, use a zip tie nice and tight on the barb. That will keep it on......