General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Sloted rotor question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 05:09 AM

Sloted rotor question

Can those be turned when I change the pads next time? Also whats better sloted or sloted/dimpled? And lastly what kind of pads should I get for those, ceramic or regular? This is for normal everyday driving, mostly at 25mph being stuck in traffic
Old 04-23-2006, 08:09 AM
GrandPa

I don't have a answer about turning the rotors but I use Hawk HF pads with my drilled/sloted rotors.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Mr.Sparkle
Can those be turned when I change the pads next time? Also whats better sloted or sloted/dimpled? And lastly what kind of pads should I get for those, ceramic or regular? This is for normal everyday driving, mostly at 25mph being stuck in traffic
I don't see any problem with it. I plan on turning mine at 30K when I rotate my tires...
Old 04-23-2006, 09:03 AM

I just ordered slotted dimpled rotors for my car. Great looks imo.

Bat™
Old 04-24-2006, 06:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

in theory, dimple slotted. in reality, you won't see a difference in normal driving

"ceramic" rotors will generally be less squeaky.
ceramic is a term really used too generally:
from dictionary.com:
ce·ram·ic n.

1. Any of various hard, brittle, heat-resistant and corrosion-resistant materials made by shaping and then firing a nonmetallic mineral, such as clay, at a high temperature.

by definition, there are many many different compounds or combinations of compounds that can be considered "ceramic" they range in price, performance, life, and squeakyness.

"regular" by regular I assume you mean semi metallic. the same goes as above.

Looks like you are avoiding drilled rotors, wise decision.

from wikipedia:
Today's more advanced brake pads (both racing and street) do not suffer from outgassing problems, and so, the holes' purpose is largely cosmetic today. Poorly-made cross drilled rotors (such as those made by simply drilling through a plain faced rotor) may crack at the holes under severe use, such as on the track. Other designs include "slots" - shallow channels machined into the disc to aid in removing used brake material from the brake pads. Slotted discs are generally not used on road cars because they quickly wear down brake pads. However, this removal of material is beneficial to race cars since it keeps the pads soft and avoids vitrification of their surfaces.

also:
Cracking

Cracking is limited mostly to drilled discs, which get small cracks around outside edges of the drilled holes near the edge of the disc due to the rotor's uneven rate of expansion in severe duty environments. Manufacturers that use drilled rotors as OEM are doing so for two reasons: looks if they determine that the average owner of the vehicle model will not overly stress them; or as a function of reducing the unsprung weight of the brake assembly, with the engineering assumed that enough brake rotor mass remains to absorb racing temperatures and stresses. A brake disc is a heat sink, so removing mass increases the heat stress it will have to contend with. Generally an OEM application that is not drilled will crack and could fail catastrophically if used over and above the original equipment design. Once cracked, these discs cannot be repaired.

If for street use, you're probably best off getting blanks, unless you really have to have these for cosmetic reasons. Then I'd recommend slotted, dimpled, or dimple slotted. Brembo produces 'cast in' drilled rotors which by definition are technically not drilled. you can purchase those in the group deal here in the forums. best bet: just go with blanks.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:02 AM

you dont have to turn your rotors if it doesn't need to be turned. if its still smooth, dont worry about it.
brake pads, ceramic give off less heat when breaking, i recommend ceramic, but life is not as good as semi-metallic (Which i dont recommend) or Organic.
Try Organic, they last long and since you dont do hard breaking, it should be good.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:28 AM
Tha Snatcher

The best rotor for daily driving is a blank rotor. Get some Hawk HPS pads and call it a day. 99% of the slotted/drilled or dimpled rotor owners buy them for the appearance.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Conecarver

Depending on your car year, Tirerack is having a sale on the Powerslot slotted/dimpled rotors right now. Fronts for a 4th gen are $151 for the pair. Slightly less grip than slotted but for steet driving you'll never notice.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Dimples/holes:
- Better cooling
- Less chance of getting scored by dirt
- Less surface area
- Faster pad wear
- Prone to cracking
- Prone to noise while driving (even when not pressing the brakes)

Slots:
- Better cooling
- Faster pad wear

Blanks:
- MUCH cheaper

In other words, dimples/holes are not worth it, except for looks. If you're super-worried about scored rotors, get slotted ones. Otherwise, just get blanks. They work the best.

I personally chose Brembo slotted rotors because apparently the roads I drive on have a lot of just the right kind of dust to get caught in my brakes and score my rotors. I had Brembo blanks before and they were great, but they got chewed up pretty badly in a matter of months. I'm not sure what it is... all I know is that these slotted rotors are doing perfectly fine after much, much more time on my car than the blanks.

BTW, in case it matters, I also have Hawk HPS pads and they're awesome.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:38 AM
VIP Maxima

i think only blanks can be turned. anything else throws off the machine.

Old 04-25-2006, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
i think only blanks can be turned. anything else throws off the machine.

once i have heard from a brake expert.....people say you cant turn slotted rotors, but what they dont know is that "You Can"
Old 04-25-2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
Dimples/holes:
- Better cooling
- Less surface area
- Faster pad wear
- Prone to cracking
- Prone to noise while driving (even when not pressing the brakes)

Slots:
- Better cooling
- Faster pad wear

Blanks:
- MUCH cheaper

In other words, dimples/holes are not worth it, except for looks. If you're super-worried about scored rotors, get slotted ones. Otherwise, just get blanks. They work the best.

I personally chose Brembo slotted rotors because apparently the roads I drive on have a lot of just the right kind of dust to get caught in my brakes and score my rotors. I had Brembo blanks before and they were great, but they got chewed up pretty badly in a matter of months. I'm not sure what it is... all I know is that these slotted rotors are doing perfectly fine after much, much more time on my car than the blanks.

BTW, in case it matters, I also have Hawk HPS pads and they're awesome.

Great, thanx for your help. I will get the hawk pads and I am still undecided between the slotted or the blanks. Oh BTW they are going on a 04 max. Oh and how much faster do pads wear out on sloted rotors?
Old 04-25-2006, 06:06 PM

Great, thanx for your help. I will get the hawk pads and I am still undecided between the slotted or the blanks. Oh BTW they are going on a 04 max. Oh and how much faster do pads wear out on sloted rotors?
How much faster they wear out will definitely depend on your driving, so it's impossible to say.

Basically, if you want to minimize the chance that you'll have to worry about your rotors down the line, get slotted rotors. If you don't mind possibly changing them occasionally, save yourself a ton of money and get blanks.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:54 PM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

Originally Posted by Karim
The best rotor for daily driving is a blank rotor. Get some Hawk HPS pads and call it a day. 99% of the slotted/drilled or dimpled rotor owners buy them for the appearance.
Correct!!!

Aside from a big brake kit (if your a circuit racer), if you want the best brake feel and stopping for a normal street dude, the recommendation is:

- Good Tires (the more sticky, the better)
- high performance brake lines
- Quality brake pads
Old 04-26-2006, 04:50 AM

Well I called local stores here like PepBoys and they want around $85 for each rotor (blank) I saw the group deal here for sloted and or dimpled rotors and they are $200 for a set or $185 for blanks. Should I just get the sloted ones then, the price is basically almost the same as for blanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:58 AM

Wow. I've seen blanks for half that price. Maybe things have changed. But if they're that close in price, then yeah, just get the slotted ones.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:48 AM
GrandPa

Well I called local stores here like PepBoys and they want around $85 for each rotor (blank) I saw the group deal here for sloted and or dimpled rotors and they are $200 for a set or $185 for blanks. Should I just get the sloted ones then, the price is basically almost the same as for blanks.
I won't tell you what to buy but if you buy the sloted ones make sure they are zinc coated to prevent rusting.

Good luck on what ever you buy.
Old 04-26-2006, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ramberg
I won't tell you what to buy but if you buy the sloted ones make sure they are zinc coated to prevent rusting.

Good luck on what ever you buy.
Its from this GB:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095
Anyone know if those are decent quality rotors?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:39 AM

I thought slotted/dimpled rotors were supposed to be a good investment, helping to keep the rotors from warping and keeping the pads much cleaner. As for turning them there should be no problem, the machine used for re- surfacing the rotor is like a lathe, basically it is a lathe.
Old 05-02-2006, 06:01 AM
Boosted Panda

Ive never tried, but I have heard both statements that you can and cannot have slotted rotors turn. I have heard that drilled rotors can be turned but not slotted, they say slotted rotors ruins the blade on the machine.
Ive had cross drilled rotors for quite some time and mine have never cracked.
The ones that crack are usaully the cheap no brand rotors. My old rotors were from IRotors.
I bought new 300z rotos from AuToMaX_95 with the zinc coating and they have worked fine so far. They are also cross drilled.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:12 PM

Its from this GB:
http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=396095
Anyone know if those are decent quality rotors?
I have bought multiple sets from him (for different cars including my own). I was told they're the same rotors that Stillen sells. Total milage on the sets combined are well over 100,000 miles. I got them slotted and zinc'd.

Jae
Old 05-02-2006, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by kenji
in theory, dimple slotted.
Curious, what pro racing uses dimpled? I've seen slotted and cross drilled. Of the high performance street legal cars, I also haven't seen dimpled. Maybe I'm not seeing enuf variety of high performance cars.

Jae
Old 05-02-2006, 01:58 PM
SuPeRmOd

I have powdercoated slots from AutoMax_95 which may go on soon. got a little shake after 22k so the oems may be starting to warp.

only negative i've heard is the ticking sound from the slots and they can clean your pads too well requiring new pads sooner.

I got them for looks. the whole "gases need to escape" no longer applies to pads. now maybe water can escape better and maybe scoring will reduce, but i like the looks.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maximus_95
once i have heard from a brake expert.....people say you cant turn slotted rotors, but what they dont know is that "You Can"
As far as i know, the only ones you cant turn are the drilled rotors, because that would get rid of the chamfer edge, making you rotors into cheese graters for your pads..
you could re-chamfer the holes, but who has the time to do that!, not me.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:10 AM

i called a few places b/c i had slotted rotors and was told they are not able to turn slotted rotors.

on a side note...be careful when you buy brembo slotted rotors b/c some places take brembo blanks and make their own drilled and/or slotted rotors. these are not authentic drilled and/or slotted brembo rotors. these will go "bad" faster. i bought slotted rotors like this and became warped after only a year of use. buy the authentic from a trusted brembo seller.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:50 PM

So you're saying Brembo has slotted rotors from the factory? Do you have a Brembo part number?

Jae
Old 05-19-2006, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
So you're saying Brembo has slotted rotors from the factory? Do you have a Brembo part number?

Jae
Yes. Check out this link from the group discount forum. He sells the legit parts from the factory. Prices are good, but took awhile to get all four of my rotors.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=422678
Old 05-21-2006, 01:04 PM

I had an import mechanic tell me recently that slotted or drilled rotors were a waste of money, just buying 'good' rotors was enough. This was about a year after replacing the rotors on my wife's Volvo 960 when one warped badly, and one feels like its starting to warp. Is there a majority belief that slots and holes really help? (I've never had problems with warped rotors on any of my 2nd Gen Maximas, that I can remember....)