General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Got a ticket: need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:43 PM

Got a ticket: need some advice...

hey everyone... tried running a search, but couldnt find anything that could relate to my case...
about 2 weeks ago i got pulled over in santa barbara, ca for speeding and tints.... however, im more than sure that the bike cop didnt get me on a radar and thats why he gave me a tint ticket...
now, im definitely going to fight the ticket, but my question is: if the cop doesnt show up to court or my ticket gets dismissed would it mean that the tint offense is going to get dropped as well as the speeding violation? or is it only the speeding part thats going to get dropped leaving me to correct the tint violation?
also, how strict are people that check the fixing job? i was considering finding someone who has the same black 5th gen maxima without front tints and going like that, but if the people really check the car (vin, etc) it wouldnt work...
i appreciate all the input, thanks...
Old 07-07-2006, 02:58 PM

Bike cops can and usually do have radar guns! They don't have to be mounted to patrol units!

I would assume, but I am no lawyer or paralegalist, but I would think the whole thing gets chucked.

Not sure about the vin and deceit thing.........
Old 07-07-2006, 03:13 PM

i believe if he does not show up in court then everything you were pulled over for gets dumped.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:10 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

in NJ anyway, if the cop doesnt show up when you plead not guilty it all gets dismissed because they cant meat burden of proof.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:51 PM

everything gets dismissed if the cop fails to show.

its basically your word against...no one.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:57 PM
Way out West

I don't know Cali law, but in Oregon the cop has to use a meter to check the tint, otherwise the ticket likely won't stick.

As for speeding, a good lawyer can get you out of most tickets.

As for not using radar, police officers are trained to be able to determine speeds and if he says that you were speeding, the judge can still use the cop's testimony and give you the ticket. It is up to you to prove that you weren't speeding.

I also think it depends on the way the ticket is written. Usually those without radar say something about not obeying the basic rule, driving too fast for conditions or driving at a high rate of speed. I got out of a ticket because it was written incorrectly, with the wrong ORS on it.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:11 PM
I R The Law

ive gotten a speeding ticket in sacramento and the cop didnt show up so the ticket got dropped. also for the ticket for tint, if you know a cop or a friend is a good friend with a cop, that cop could just write it off, but if the cop doesnt show up at all the whole entire report will be dropped.....i have yet to receive back my payment that i paid for for my ticket....BLAH!!

also i just saw where you live and you live in LA, that means if you go to court you have to be at the Santa Barba court which is a pretty long drive from where you live
Old 07-08-2006, 11:34 AM

The reason im saying that he didnt get me on a radar is cause i saw him catching up from far away, but he got stuck behind cars and when he caught up with me i was doing a steady 65... He paced me for a minute or so and then pulled me over, probably, when he saw me pulling my front windows down...

Cliff Clavin:
Actually, I checked the violation that I got charged with and its 22349(a) and it states the following: Except as provided in Section 22356, no person may drive a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 65 miles per hour.
This is much better than the usual 22350, which doesnt specify the driving speed, so i might have a good case there....
I got lawyers in my previous cases and they got me off, but this time Im sure i will have a good chance of fighting and even if im unsuccessful, i should be eligible for traffic school...

The Law: Good idea about friend cops... I think i can pull some strings... Im from LA, but i go to school to UCSB, so i dont have to worry about driving too much... =)

Thanks, everyone...
Old 07-09-2006, 03:31 PM

No expert here either, but 'm pretty sure you're stuck with the tint ticket. That's one of those "fix it" tickets where you have to get it removed and certified by a CHP officer. I think these still go on your record now but not positive. As for the speeding ticket, you may have a case, if you fight it. If the officer doesn't show up to court, that part will be dismissed. Have you considered traffic school, if you're eligible? If you fight it and lose, you're done. It goes on your record and you have no other recourse.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:58 PM
kthxbye2u

biker cops... thats their freakin job is to give tickets actually lol
i think your stuck with it
Old 07-12-2006, 10:08 AM

hmmm, got some interesting info... i called the court yesterday to get an extension and asked about the tints, cause when i called in before to find out the bail amount it said that if i fix the violation the bail would be $100 less.... the guy said that if i pay the full amount i dont have to take tints off, which sounds more than good enough for me, but then again, i thought that i had to take them off in any case....
Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 AM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by Proof
i thought that i had to take them off in any case....
u do, you cant keep breaking the law becuase u paid the fine
Old 07-12-2006, 10:32 AM
+Cru OG

hmmm, got some interesting info... i called the court yesterday to get an extension and asked about the tints, cause when i called in before to find out the bail amount it said that if i fix the violation the bail would be $100 less.... the guy said that if i pay the full amount i dont have to take tints off, which sounds more than good enough for me, but then again, i thought that i had to take them off in any case....
Let's say you DO pay the full amount so you don't have to take the tints off, you're still fair play for the next policeman that sees it. Take the tints off (or at least get one that's legal in your county/city) and slow down.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:49 PM

thats a tuff one, don't know what to say
Old 07-26-2006, 07:07 PM
retired moderator

hey everyone... tried running a search, but couldnt find anything that could relate to my case...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481200

EDIT: NEVERMIND - I forgot that your thread was the one that inspired that sticky, and it's the first one listed. Me = OWNED!

Note the last link in that sticky is a tint-related thread that's fairly long. I found that thread by putting in "tint ticket" into the search box
Old 07-26-2006, 07:22 PM

FYI, according to CA law a police officer can technically tow your car if you have equipment violation. The only reason why he can't tow it is if you are driving home or to a place to get it fixed. It becomes your integrity versus the spirit of the law etc blah blah blah. Anyways, if you do pay the fix it ticket, you can get pulled over again for tints and be fined all over again lol.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:36 PM
OHHH YEA SCISSOR!!!!

Originally Posted by kinzer1
thats a tuff one, don't know what to say
just when u thought a stupid thread was dead
Old 07-26-2006, 08:34 PM

about 2 weeks ago i got pulled over in santa barbara, ca for speeding and tints.... however, im more than sure that the bike cop didnt get me on a radar and thats why he gave me a tint ticket...
now, im definitely going to fight the ticket, but my question is: if the cop doesnt show up to court or my ticket gets dismissed would it mean that the tint offense is going to get dropped as well as the speeding violation? or is it only the speeding part thats going to get dropped leaving me to correct the tint violation?
also, how strict are people that check the fixing job? i was considering finding someone who has the same black 5th gen maxima without front tints and going like that, but if the people really check the car (vin, etc) it wouldnt work...
i appreciate all the input, thanks...
From my vast exerpience on moving voilations in California (after getting so many speeding tickets), if this is your first offense in 18 months it's better you just ask for traffic school and learn your lesson. If this is not your first offense, go to court and if the cop does not show up, you will automatically win the case and everything gets dropped. If you are certain the cop did not have you on radar he will have to produce that evidence during the trail, if he does not, then you automatically win.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:36 AM
darkman

not so on thoes tints if u have the recipt for ur tints bring it with u to ur case and present it to the judge that way with profe that it was a legle tint no one can say a thing i just got my tint but my friend just got pulled over for his and for alturing his tail lights wich is crap bc there all working there just after market ones and our state doesnt have a law on that at all PA sucks **** well atleast ABINGTON does

Old 03-08-2007, 07:49 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by darkman
not so on thoes tints if u have the recipt for ur tints bring it with u to ur case and present it to the judge that way with profe that it was a legle tint no one can say a thing i just got my tint but my friend just got pulled over for his and for alturing his tail lights wich is crap bc there all working there just after market ones and our state doesnt have a law on that at all PA sucks **** well atleast ABINGTON does
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...9&postcount=17
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 AM
is invisible

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481200
Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
retired moderator

mods...lock this up.