General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Camber Bolts Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 05:54 PM

Camber Bolts Installation

Im going to buy some eibach camber bolts.
is there anything i need to know about them before installing them?

Which bolt on the strut does the camber bolt replace?
Theres two bolts from the strut to knuckle. Which bolt do i remove and replace it with the camber bolt?

any positive/negative feedback?

thanks guys.

i need as much info as possible seeing that ill be doing this tomm or wednesday.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:31 PM
retired moderator

I do not recomment camber bolts, no matter what anyone says. If you get them, you'd better be willing to check them on a weekly basis to make sure they're tight...I've seen too many camber bolts shift when you hit a big bump or pothole and throw the whole camber off (which, in turn, throws the toe/alignment off). I've also seen them break. Remember, since they are offset, they are NOT as strong as the OEM bolts.

If camber is that important to you, get plates.

btw, why are you installing these and what camber are you planning to run?
Old 07-17-2006, 06:45 PM

im on tein s-techs. should i be worried about cambering and uneven tire wear problems??
Old 07-17-2006, 06:46 PM

whered do i get plates and how do they work compared to the bolts??
Old 07-17-2006, 07:40 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by wikidminds
im on tein s-techs. should i be worried about cambering and uneven tire wear problems??
no, not likely. Rear camber won't change, since you ahve a beam axle. I doubt you'll have any serious wear problems if your tire pressures are correct.

Camber plates...the only company that I know of that makes them for the 5th gen is Stillen, but might want to check in the 4th gen forums to see if anyone else makes them. They run about $400.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
no, not likely. Rear camber won't change, since you ahve a beam axle. I doubt you'll have any serious wear problems if your tire pressures are correct.

Camber plates...the only company that I know of that makes them for the 5th gen is Stillen, but might want to check in the 4th gen forums to see if anyone else makes them. They run about $400.
I thought plates were pretty straightforward install.. but I saw 1 pretty screwed up install where they ended up drilling a buncha holes in the towers. It was by a reputable shop too. Anyways, like any suspension install, double check to be sure it's done right. Your life rides on it.
Jae
Old 07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally Posted by wikidminds
Just have your front toe set correctly. Even your running a little over a degree of negative camber you will not have excessive tire ware if your toe setting is correct.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM

well im sitting on 19 inch hp design rims.....so i really dont wanna eat up my new tires. sd my biggewst concern would be the toe vs the camber right?
Old 07-19-2006, 04:46 AM
Blown

I have eibach camber bolts, if you have not bought them yet. They are new. PM me if you are interested.
Old 07-19-2006, 04:53 AM
this place is dead

I do not recomment camber bolts, no matter what anyone says. If you get them, you'd better be willing to check them on a weekly basis to make sure they're tight...I've seen too many camber bolts shift when you hit a big bump or pothole and throw the whole camber off (which, in turn, throws the toe/alignment off). I've also seen them break. Remember, since they are offset, they are NOT as strong as the OEM bolts.

I have heard the opposite, that camber plates put more stress on things because of their location and are more finicky to keep correctly adjusted. I'll bite on this one....you know where I am getting my information from (phillyscca) where is yours coming from?
Old 07-19-2006, 12:01 PM

so is it worth my time.effort and money to buy the bolts and install em or just leave it as is??
Old 07-19-2006, 02:18 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
I thought plates were pretty straightforward install.. but I saw 1 pretty screwed up install where they ended up drilling a buncha holes in the towers. \Jae
um....there is no reason to be drilling anything when installing camber plates
Old 07-19-2006, 02:22 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I have heard the opposite, that camber plates put more stress on things because of their location and are more finicky to keep correctly adjusted. I'll bite on this one....you know where I am getting my information from (phillyscca) where is yours coming from?
My information is coming....from the fact that I HAVE camber plates. I've had no trouble keeping them adjusted. When tightened they don't move at all.

How could they "put more stress on things" exactly?

The bottom line with the bolts is that, if not checked often, they can come out of adjustment easily if they rotate in the hole. Secondly, because they are only 1/2 as thick as OEM bolts (est.) at the offset location, they are inherently weaker.

No chance I'm going to replace suspension parts with parts that are not as strong!

info from SCCA is irrelevant IMO, since typically they are referring to often-tracked/autocrossed cars, where the owners are continually checking their suspension to make sure things are tight, in good shape, etc on a weekly or frequent basis......not guys who are driving around streets all the time, hitting potholes, etc etc...and may not look at their suspension for months at a time.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:12 PM
this place is dead

My information is coming....from the fact that I HAVE camber plates. I've had no trouble keeping them adjusted. When tightened they don't move at all.

How could they "put more stress on things" exactly?

The bottom line with the bolts is that, if not checked often, they can come out of adjustment easily if they rotate in the hole. Secondly, because they are only 1/2 as thick as OEM bolts (est.) at the offset location, they are inherently weaker.

No chance I'm going to replace suspension parts with parts that are not as strong!

info from SCCA is irrelevant IMO, since typically they are referring to often-tracked/autocrossed cars, where the owners are continually checking their suspension to make sure things are tight, in good shape, etc on a weekly or frequent basis......not guys who are driving around streets all the time, hitting potholes, etc etc...and may not look at their suspension for months at a time.
I'm guessing you haven't seen this or just don't agree with it then?

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=28
Old 07-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

um....there is no reason to be drilling anything when installing camber plates
Exactly! Which's why the install was messed up. Apparently, the installers didn't think of rotating the plate so the 3 bolts line up. Instead they lined up 2, and drilled a hole for the 3rd.

Jae
Old 07-21-2006, 05:48 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Exactly! Which's why the install was messed up. Apparently, the installers didn't think of rotating the plate so the 3 bolts line up. Instead they lined up 2, and drilled a hole for the 3rd.

Jae
That is when you go back to the installers and sue the crap out of them for permanently damaging your car through negligence.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:58 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
I'm guessing you haven't seen this or just don't agree with it then?

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...3&postcount=28
I have every bit of respect for Brian, but I would disagree with what he says there....

My plates have taken a beating already - these terrible roads, multiple autocross events, etc....and I have had no problems with them shifting, rattling, or anything else.

As to camber bolts...

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....+bolt+broke%22

note in this one that Matt Blehm, our esteemed handling guru, does not appear to be a fan of them either:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....camber+bolt%22

note post 6 on this one:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....camber+bolt%22

though in defense of the bolts, our "other" handling guru, Brian (BEJAY) uses both plate AND bolts.....though I'm sure he's playing with his suspension on a DAILY basis and would notice any problems.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:54 PM
this place is dead

After I posted I realized something I left out, the phillyscca guys were almost constantly messing with their camber, some guys ran different at each event. So maybe those guys were having problems because of their constant adjustments....who knows. Good bolts, just like good plates should work fine.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:39 PM
this place is dead

I've linked this to the suspension forum..where it should probably be moved to anyway....
Old 07-21-2006, 08:03 PM
vsamoylov

btw, why are you installing these and what camber are you planning to run?
before i upgraded to coilovers i had H&R camebr bolts installed. I had those on the car for 2+ years. They never came loose or "shifted". They are a pain to adjust though because everytime you remove the whole strut assembly the camber bolt has to come out which throws the camber off. I say if you got the money go for Stillen camber plates unless you are going to be running coilovers in the future.

Old 07-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Hooooooonda.....

aren't the tabs on the camber bolt washers there to prevent the bolts from turning from bumps? It's not like the tabs are in there lightly, they are jammed in there.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:18 PM
Custom User Title

Originally Posted by DAVE Sz
aren't the tabs on the camber bolt washers there to prevent the bolts from turning from bumps? It's not like the tabs are in there lightly, they are jammed in there.
Yes

A friend has S-tech's on his car and he seems to be doing fine after the alignment and no camber bolts.