General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

My theary on how warpspeed broke my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 06:41 PM
The original VQ...

My theary on how warpspeed broke my car

Well it all started from the install of the warpspeed superflow felx section y-pipe , there was something wrong with the gasket on the flex section (basicly it didnt flex) . It made the entire car vibrate like crazy (felt almost as if i was driving down the road without tires or something....)

Warpspeed exchanged the y-pipe for a new one but i had to drive around with the broken one for a few days ,cause the stock y-pipe broke durring removal ,and I had to wait a week or so for the regular y-pipe to arive and i had to to drive to work and etc. (dumb but i had no toher choise)

After i put the new y-pipe, the car still had a vibration at WOT and higher rpms(but shaking was about half as bad), i couldnt figure it out, was changing axels( at first that seemed like it helped but it didn't) , checked the flywheel , the clutch, had the tranny checked , motor mounts , alightment etc...

I just drove around with the shaking, and eventually ended up selling the car to a friend for cheap (it was a sterling mist 99 for those who remember) , my friend now did figure out the problem that im explaining .

Turns out, that my motorstorm pulley was shot, for those that are fimiliar the motostorm pulley, it is two peice , it has a part that is removeable with 2 alen keys, me and my friend tightend the alen screws ,but the piece was still loose, basicly the aluminum was worm out were the two pieces connect?

Now i had a motostorm pulley on my old 96 maxima and had no problems for more than 20k.....

My theory is, this is all because of the vibration of the broken warpspeed y-pipe , because it was after this all the problems started.

Please someone correct me if i missed something.

Regaurdless, The pulley was the initial reason for the shaking but i think it happend because of the stupid superflex y-pipe.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:36 PM
Suspension Yoda

I dont understand how a a=bad y-pipe can make the car shake. I think its your pulley that messed up your y-pipe. Something must have happened during install of the y that effed with the pulley, somehow.

(Please note, I am NOT insulting your mechanic skills, if applicable.)

ninja edit: another theory is learning how to spell theory correct
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
The original VQ...

Well the purpose of a flex section on a y-pipe is to elimiate vibration, and its suposed to flex because of the movement of the engine .

if there is no flex, the vibration travels trought the car...
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
I'm needing a caw

If your stock Y broke during removal, it could have been the stock Y also. But in general, the Y theory is slim IMHO
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
Well the purpose of a flex section on a y-pipe is to elimiate vibration, and its suposed to flex because of the movement of the engine .

if there is no flex, the vibration travels trought the car...
Well it's not there so much as to eliminate vibrations as it is to be there to give when the engine rocks in its mounts, but yeah.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM

Please don't take this as any sign of disrespect.

You cannot blame WSP because you failed to properly identify the problem in the first place. You assumed it was the y-pipe, they did not tell you it was the y-pipe, you told them. You replaced the y-pipe and found that your deduction was wrong. You cannot blame that on WSP. They sold you what you asked for, a y-pipe. When you had a problem, the replaced it as quickly as they could. THEN you discovered that the problem was the pulley.

Sometimes troubleshooting is like that. You think you find the problem only to discover it somewhere else. Don't blame yourself and don't blame WSP. It is what it is.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:32 PM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by jonmandude
Please don't take this as any sign of disrespect.

You cannot blame WSP because you failed to properly identify the problem in the first place. You assumed it was the y-pipe, they did not tell you it was the y-pipe, you told them. You replaced the y-pipe and found that your deduction was wrong. You cannot blame that on WSP. They sold you what you asked for, a y-pipe. When you had a problem, the replaced it as quickly as they could. THEN you discovered that the problem was the pulley.

Sometimes troubleshooting is like that. You think you find the problem only to discover it somewhere else. Don't blame yourself and don't blame WSP. It is what it is.
Well , i replaced the superlex y-pipe with a regualer one, and the shaking was basicly cut in half , but after driving on the bad one for a week or so , i think it did perminate damage......

Or just the combo of two ****y parts,

has anyone else everyheard of udp pulley causeing problems like this cause i dnt think i have?
Old 09-12-2006, 08:41 AM
† ErV †

good luck on thinking an exhaust rattle will stress a pulley.....

you do mods you take the chance with pos parts. simple as that. OEM > most aftermarket stuff ever produced.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Boosted Panda

I really dont uinderstand how a non flexing y pipe would cause the crank pulley to wobble.
If indeed the shifting of the exhaust was so great as to damage other components why wouldnt it snap the exhaust bolts at the connecting sections? Why wouldnt the motor mounts suffer also?
To me, these items would have been effected before a crank pulley.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Boosted Panda

has anyone else everyheard of udp pulley causeing problems like this cause i dnt think i have?

No, but many have had issues with that Motostorm pulley though.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:18 AM
"and falling like a rock"

...This thread sucks....
Old 09-12-2006, 10:47 AM
Nations 1st 6th Gen Turbo

....................All ashore...
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 AM
I Broke OT

ok, the exhaust is held up under the car by pliable rubber exhaust hangers. these will dampen most if not all vibration. there is no way that a shaky y-pipe will cause your pulley to break.

also, you can't blame warpspeed for the problem, even if it was their fault. their y-pipes are meant for off-road use only, and i'm sure you drove on the road. therefore, it would void any liability on their part.

my advice is to just figure out what the REAL problem is with your car and fix that.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
my advice is to just figure out what the REAL problem is with your car and fix that.

+1 Y-Pipe and Pulley are not related unless your Y-pipe broke off while you where turning left in reverse thereby causing the pipe to interfere with the pulley and make it all wobbly…but I have not heard of that yet.

Sorry you not getting any
Old 09-12-2006, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 86maxima96
ok, the exhaust is held up under the car by pliable rubber exhaust hangers. these will dampen most if not all vibration. there is no way that a shaky y-pipe will cause your pulley to break.

also, you can't blame warpspeed for the problem, even if it was their fault. their y-pipes aren't meant for off-road use only, and i'm sure you drove on the road. therefore, it would void any liability on their part.

I agree, but what exactly does this mean???

"their y-pipes aren't meant for off-road use only"
Old 09-12-2006, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by chernmax
I agree, but what exactly does this mean???

"their y-pipes aren't meant for off-road use only"

He means on-road. Most of these companies state that their products are used for SHOW only and are not meant to be used on public roads.

WHY cause Americans like to file (a brief) first think last...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
WHY cause Americans like to file (a brief) first think last...
OK got the first part, but what exactly does this mean now???
Old 09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The exhaust problem had nothing what-so-ever to do with your Motostorm pully problem. Exhaust leaks don't cause vibrations either. They don't shake anything, they just make noise.

Your theory sucks, just about the same as the 87 octane broke my knock sensor theory.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:50 PM

OK got the first part, but what exactly does this mean now???

Americans are lawsuit happy.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM
The original VQ...

ok , so that means the pulley was just a sh!ty product...
Old 09-12-2006, 02:50 PM

I think all UDP's are ghay.

Steal/iron holds up much better than soft metals over the long term.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:15 PM

I think all UDP's are ghay.

Steal/iron holds up much better than soft metals over the long term.
I disagree, most of the strongest, hardest, lightweight metals/materials used today for automobiles, aircraft, etc are anything but Steel or Iron.

My UPD pulley has been rock solid for 2+ years and I ride my baby hard and put her out wet!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 07:32 PM
Boosted Panda

I disagree, most of the strongest, hardest, lightweight metals/materials used today for automobiles, aircraft, etc are anything but Steel or Iron.

My UPD pulley has been rock solid for 2+ years and I ride my baby hard and put her out wet!!!

I had my UR UDP for at least 4 years with no issues at all as well.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:48 AM

I'm talking about the chemical properties of aluminum vs. steel. Steel isn’t nearly as susceptible to stress related metal fatigue as steel and as such WILL wear out faster than steel (if subjected to high stress-like vibration and temp changes like most UDP deal with on a daily basis.)

I am going to leave my OEM pulley on there for that reason alone.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:40 AM

I'm talking about the chemical properties of aluminum vs. steel. Steel isn’t nearly as susceptible to stress related metal fatigue as steel and as such WILL wear out faster than steel (if subjected to high stress-like vibration and temp changes like most UDP deal with on a daily basis.)

I am going to leave my OEM pulley on there for that reason alone.
It's your pulley, do what you want...
Old 09-13-2006, 06:03 AM

It's your pulley, do what you want...

you wanna pull my pulley don't cha...i can tell

Old 09-13-2006, 06:10 AM
The original VQ...

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
I had my UR UDP for at least 4 years with no issues at all as well.
i think i gotta start sticking with name brands like ur and greddy, not crap like motostorm, rvm and warpspeed.......

let this be a leason to all of you, dnt be cheap when it comes to your car........
Old 09-13-2006, 06:32 AM

Dont be

When it comes to your car either...

I have not installed nor worked with WSP but I will still keep them in high regards even after reading this thread
Old 09-13-2006, 06:42 AM

you wanna pull my pulley don't cha...i can tell
Actually No , sounds like you're just trying to justify your own reasoning as to why you don't have one. You know you want one!!!
Old 09-13-2006, 06:47 AM

only if it improved MPG by 30% and shortened my braking distance and gave me better handling....cough*drfuelmax*cough

Oh yeah I went there...
Old 09-13-2006, 06:53 AM

only if it improved MPG by 30% and shortened my braking distance and gave me better handling....cough*drfuelmax*cough

Oh yeah I went there...
A quality UPD Pulley will improve your gas mileage, increase HP and TQ. Everything I have done to my max has been about performance, I have never given a **** about gas mileage because no matter how high it goes, I can affort it. As for drfuelmax, again, not looking at gas saving properties but the potential for a better fuel burn.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:18 AM
Boosted Panda

only if it improved MPG by 30%

So why wopuld you get a turboed maxima? That sure as h#ll isnt going to improve gas mileage.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:57 AM
The original VQ...

if gas milage is a priority, why would you buy a maxima, by a 4 banger carolla....
Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM

You know you want one!!!
Yeah, if mine was damaged I'd prolly get one.

A quality UPD Pulley will improve your gas mileage, increase HP and TQ. Everything I have done to my max has been about performance, I have never given a **** about gas mileage because no matter how high it goes, I can affort it. As for drfuelmax, again, not looking at gas saving properties but the potential for a better fuel burn.
Just a joke bud. I'm kind of a smartazz. I was making fun of drfuelmax, and its over the top BS...
I agree with everything you said there.

So why wopuld you get a turboed maxima? That sure as h#ll isnt going to improve gas mileage.
Read above ^^
Cause I like turbos It gets almost the same MPG as my VG, even with some boosted runs here and there.

if gas milage is a priority, why would you buy a maxima, by a 4 banger carolla....
Yuk

BTW Good idea on keeping those comments to PM only maxspeed96CT.
And yes my black maxima is junk, but at least I know what a flex pipe does...
Old 09-13-2006, 11:30 PM

i think i gotta start sticking with name brands like ur and greddy, not crap like motostorm, rvm and warpspeed.......
I have a complete WSP exhaust and a WSP cold air. I would say they are quality parts. The exhaust is well made and fit perfectly, same with the CAI. I would definitely not call Warpspeed "crap".
Old 09-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Boosted Panda

Cause I like turbos It gets almost the same MPG as my VG, even with some boosted runs here and there.

Then you must be making low power when you boost.
I get about the same gas mileage as i did when i was NA, but when I boost my gas disappears quick and Im not making real big numbers.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:31 AM

Sounds like the pulley is and was the issue, not the Y-pipe!?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
... when I boost my gas disappears quick and Im not making real big numbers.

Like I said, some boosted runs. Stay off the turbo and you can make close to the same MPG as a stock car (with a really restrictive exhaust system) get on right foot and you gas will go faster than an approval rating point after a Bush speech.

EDIT: Wait WFT. How did we get to this...OIC because I made a joke about drfuelmax. dood!

cough*
I DON"T CARE ABOUT MY OR YOUR MILES PER GALLON.

I know you feel compelled to post your most mundane thoughts when ever you see these letters MPG but do us all a favor and DON'T I bet even the Civic forums get tired of hearing about this
Old 09-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Wild for Width

I bet they have MPG tournaments.