General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Custom CAI for S/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2001, 08:23 PM

Anyone have one, and want to share some ideas? I want to maybe use a RACtive filter, and an AEM bypass in there. Not sure exactly where to go from there? Anyone know the specs?

Thanks.
-Mike
Old 06-26-2001, 10:40 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

bypass valve isn't going to do anything on a 5 inch pipe design.

why? u need enough room for the "water" to travel up enough to create the vaccum needed to open then bypass valve.
phyics just doesn't play that great of a role with a 5 inch pipe, water will suck into it if you that valve .. cuz the blower will be sucking very fast at that close of a range...

imho. forget the bypass. and the reactive.

just get a nice k&n filter and maybe a velocity stack. but the VS really won't do much cuz the air will just be spinning anyway once it gets into the blower.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:57 AM

didnt aem recall those bypass valves?
Old 06-27-2001, 04:49 AM

Originally posted by Chebosto
bypass valve isn't going to do anything on a 5 inch pipe design.

why? u need enough room for the "water" to travel up enough to create the vaccum needed to open then bypass valve.
phyics just doesn't play that great of a role with a 5 inch pipe, water will suck into it if you that valve .. cuz the blower will be sucking very fast at that close of a range...

imho. forget the bypass. and the reactive.

just get a nice k&n filter and maybe a velocity stack. but the VS really won't do much cuz the air will just be spinning anyway once it gets into the blower.
The reason I want to go with a CAI now, is because I think the people who installed this S/C on the last car, ****ed it up. The filter has 3 holes. One to attatch to the blower. One that looks like its formed in it, and one that looks like it was cut into it. So I dunno what to do.

So those Ractive filters are garbage? You recommend anything besides a K&N? HKS? Greddy? etc?

Maybe, I'll get just a nice filter that drops into the fender, or lower...

Thanks.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:01 AM

Just a piece together job

Just got some PVC pipe from Home Depot and a K&N conical airfilter. Cut up the PVC to make it fit the where you want it to fit in the passanger side fenderwell. Lots of custom work but I don't have better instructions than that to tell you how to do it.

Originally posted by Screaminfast
Anyone have one, and want to share some ideas? I want to maybe use a RACtive filter, and an AEM bypass in there. Not sure exactly where to go from there? Anyone know the specs?

Thanks.
-Mike
Old 06-27-2001, 07:13 AM

Re: Just a piece together job

Originally posted by jgadlage
Just got some PVC pipe from Home Depot and a K&N conical airfilter. Cut up the PVC to make it fit the where you want it to fit in the passanger side fenderwell. Lots of custom work but I don't have better instructions than that to tell you how to do it.

I dont want it to be mad ghetto. I want it to look like a professional CAI. I wonder how much it would be to have something done.
Old 06-27-2001, 07:36 AM

Re: Re: Just a piece together job

I dont want it to be mad ghetto. I want it to look like a professional CAI. I wonder how much it would be to have something done.
I posted pics of my Custom CAI cuz some members were requesting it.. this was about a week ago. Do a search? Its like 7:30am here and im tired/lazy..
Old 06-27-2001, 07:39 AM

Re: Re: Re: Just a piece together job

Originally posted by OgreDave

I posted pics of my Custom CAI cuz some members were requesting it.. this was about a week ago. Do a search? Its like 7:30am here and im tired/lazy..

The search function completely sucks. I searched for everything possible. It said no results. Maybe you can find it. Dont waste your time though, just let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:08 PM
Ford Only.

Dallas @ WSP said he would be willing to produce the CAI for the SC'd Max but he would need someone to step up with there car so he can use it.
Old 06-27-2001, 01:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just a piece together job

The search function completely sucks. I searched for everything possible. It said no results. Maybe you can find it. Dont waste your time though, just let me know when you get a chance. Thanks.
I didnt bother searching.. i just looked in the shell n figured out the url ..

http://shell.exo.com/~mman/Maxima/

The pics yer interested in are 20 and up. (a whole 4?) .. if anything is unclear, let me know, ill take more pics. I promised to take pics that nite, slacked off, took pics the next nite.. (work days) .. and takin pics at nite is hard in a dimly lit garage.

Hope it helps.

[EDIT] .. the site is currently down, but itll be back ASAP, just try it once in a while or something. C&W havin problems in souther cali today. Sucks a$$.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:22 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just a piece together job

PVC will melt, won't it?

i'm trying to get some ABS plastic
or do what skimax did.
aluminum.
Old 06-27-2001, 06:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Just a piece together job

Originally posted by Chebosto
PVC will melt, won't it?

i'm trying to get some ABS plastic
or do what skimax did.
aluminum.
I think he is using ABS because his pipeing is black and the ABS at Home Depot is Black and the PVC is white. But I dont think PVW will melt, but pehaps it is more likely to become brittle due to the heat cycles it will indure.
Old 06-28-2001, 03:09 AM

Im not sure what kinda plastic was, that was a guess. Its sorta like tissue & kleenex to me, sorry if i mixed you guys up.

But whatever that plastic is under my hood.. no problems at all.
Old 06-28-2001, 06:19 AM

How did you get access to the inner fender there? You probably ran the pipe, then put the filter on underneath? If thats true, I'm guessing that it is a hard thing to remove and put back on...heh
Old 06-28-2001, 02:34 PM

How did you get access to the inner fender there? You probably ran the pipe, then put the filter on underneath? If thats true, I'm guessing that it is a hard thing to remove and put back on...heh
Mechanic did it, but yah, i believe front fender has to come off.. so if you got big tires.. that tires gotta come off too. Thats the price of CAI tho..
Old 06-28-2001, 03:52 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Just a piece together job

um. u list a stage 3 clutch.

ur going to blow ur tranny. if u put that in.

even with the VLSD... u better watch out.
its too strong for the maxima tranny.
Old 06-28-2001, 04:48 PM
Ford Only.

Cheston is Fiber Images going to make a carbon fiber hood for the 3rd or 5th gen Maxima?