General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

6th gen maxima and now the CVT = Death of the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
Ok them,,, mmmm, so explain how the **** a 5th gen maxima could not keep up with my stock 6th on 20s? and dont give me carp about the other guy not pushing his car, cause i know he was trying. .
6th gnrs might be big, what is amazing about them, is that they can still smoke you (on 20s)
A 5.5 gen would easily win with you so I dont know your talking about.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
track times stock for stock go in favor of the 5.5 gen. The 6th gen autos are faster than the 5.5 gen autos due to the extra gear, but 5.5 gen 6-speeds are quicker than * (even if it's by a small margin between the two 6-speeds)

EDIT: and yes, it's VERY hard to judge the performance due to different drivers/conditions/mods/tires, etc. etc. etc. but I'm basing this off of a general average...(typically auto 5.5 gens do 14.6-15.0 auto 6th gens do 14.4-14.8 manual 5.5 gens do 14.1-14.6 manual 6th gens do 14.3-14.7)
There have been a few 6th gens to run 14.1s stock. One of em was a guy who rented one and actually owned a 5.5 gen and the other is a member who rarely post here anymore. Those were the 6th gen autos though, not the 6 speed.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Glude
There have been a few 6th gens to run 14.1s stock. One of em was a guy who rented one and actually owned a 5.5 gen and the other is a member who rarely post here anymore. Those were the 6th gen autos though, not the 6 speed.
Yeah, I've driven a 6th gen auto, and I have to admit, it seemed very efficient compared to a 5.5 auto (my mom actually almost traded her 2k auto in for a 2k2 auto, so I've driven that one, too ) And like i said before, it really depends on the driver, the conditions, and traction. I would love it if a 6th gen 6-speed were somewhere around here so that we could go to the track at the same time, and maybe even switch drivers to see how we did, but you and I both know 6-speed 6th and 5.5 gens are pretty scarce

Anyways, back to my original point, the handling on these cars are MUCH different. The 6th gen may have the advantage on very bumpy roads due to the IRS, but on a road coarse, the clear advantage goes to the 5.5 due to it's smaller wheelbase and weight. Also believe me when i say this, but I am NOT a biased person. I openly admit when my car is not as good as another in certain categories. But looking at the pure facts on this matter is where my judgement comes from.

EDIT: and oh yeah, I was actually directing my comment on being faster than MAX2DAMAX (not all 6th gens), because he said he could 'smoke' me. With 20" wheels, that's not happening any time soon.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:52 PM

Ok them,,, mmmm, so explain how the **** a 5th gen maxima could not keep up with my stock 6th on 20s? and dont give me carp about the other guy not pushing his car, cause i know he was trying. .
6th gnrs might be big, what is amazing about them, is that they can still smoke you (on 20s)
but in the end... the 5.5 gen still looks better. 6th gen
Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by X-Vert
but in the end... the 5.5 gen still looks better. 6th gen
100% opinion, though i do tend to agree, just because it looks a little sportier.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by maxS
20s? in crome? what a
what do you want me to write 20 inch wheels, you know what i meant, if you didnt well im sorry to hurt you feelings, and they are gunmetal tuped.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 PM

and LA02MAX, quick question, first I dont know what my english has to do with the perfomance of our cars,??(just wondering, i refuse to believe that you are enough to make that comment), and second have you ever driven a 6th gen, you've seem like a very logical person, that likes to go by facts and all that, so i assume that you have in order to be making all those comments on the the 6th gen.. also i went with 20s because i know what looks good on what, and since my car its big 18s with low profile tires would've looked weird, im not a "bling bling" type of guy, like you might think, in fact im more sport oriented, thats why im buying a 240sx and making that my racing car.
And if you dont believe me about that 5th gen, well thats your problem not mine.
and at the end of the day, it all comes down to... I like my car thats why i bought it, and you like your car that why your mom bought for you. , and dont take it personal im just having fun around here.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:17 PM

and LA02MAX, quick question, first I dont know what my english has to do with the perfomance of our cars,??(just wondering, i refuse to believe that you are enough to make that comment), and second have you ever driven a 6th gen, you've seem like a very logical person, that likes to go by facts and all that, so i assume that you have in order to be making all those comments on the the 6th gen.. also i went with 20s because i know what looks good on what, and since my car its big 18s with low profile tires would've looked weird, im not a "bling bling" type of guy, like you might think, in fact im more sport oriented, thats why im buying a 240sx and making that my racing car.
And if you dont believe me about that 5th gen, well thats your problem not mine.
and at the end of the day, it all comes down to... I like my car thats why i bought it, and you like your car that why your mom bought for you. , and dont take it personal im just having fun around here.
You need to read there buddy...

1. he stated that he test drove the 6th gen
2. he's talking about the 5.5 gen, not 5th.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 PM

A few things i noticed about most 6th gen owners.

1. Prefer bling over go almost universally

2. Are not loyal to the maxima and are just using it as a gateway car to something more upscale

3. Have very little appreciation/knowledge of the maxima's history and heritage through the years

4. ???

5. Say the 6th gen is the sportiest max yet but (see number 1)

6. Mistakingly think that the reason that more max owners don't like the 6th gen is because they can't afford one...

I know i just and it's but i just had to...

Old 09-25-2006, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by nismology

2. Are not loyal to the maxima and are just using it as a gateway car to something more upscale

3. Have very little appreciation/knowledge of the maxima's history and heritage through the years

4. ???

6. Mistakingly think that the reason that more max owners don't like the 6th gen is because they can't afford one...

QFTMFT.....
Old 09-25-2006, 10:07 PM
iAMIXAM!

BATTLE OF THE GENERATIONS......
Old 09-26-2006, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by Blackwind
you cant make a hoe into a housewife!
I disagree, mine makes a wonderful housewife!

And everyone can agree the Maxima has gotten bigger and heavier over the years and maybe you don't like the styling or maybe you do. The point is that a 6th gen is still a well appointed sedan that can be driven hard and fast. And maybe I did put a dvd in for the kid, but I'll be rolling on rims that are 15lbs a corner so it evens out.
Old 09-26-2006, 04:21 AM
"and falling like a rock"

Originally Posted by X-Vert
To me... the g35 sedan is the new maxima.

As for Maxima going RWD? Doubt that'll ever happen... unless they change the name. I dont know a single car that has been in such long production that suddently changed it's wheel drive from fwd to rwd or visa versa.

The 6th gen shouldn't even be called a maxima... behemoth would be the right name for it ^

Yeah the G35 is what most people move to after maximas nowa days.

BTW the Maxima started life off as a RWD car, so they could run a nice ad campaign for a new RWD platform maxima using pictures of the 1st gen.....wait on second thought maybe they shouldn’t include pictures:

Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 AM

4. ???

Hmm, Im FAR from any of this. I guess thats why u said most.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:44 AM

I always thought all the Maxima's before the 6th gen were UGLY as hell. I guess thats why i waited for the 6th gen before i bought one.

Every one i know outside of this forum loves the 6th gen maxima. The only people that seem to hate the 6th gen are peoople with older versions of the MAX
Old 09-26-2006, 07:06 AM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by Snobgoblin
I always thought all the Maxima's before the 6th gen were UGLY as hell. I guess thats why i waited for the 6th gen before i bought one.

Every one i know outside of this forum loves the 6th gen maxima. The only people that seem to hate the 6th gen are peoople with older versions of the MAX
i love the 6th gen maximas but i have to disagree with you, i would go for a 5th or 4th gen with the power of a 6th gen any day......... and no one hates the 6th gen..... we love maximas, thats y we can see its flaws..... like i said before, some of us on here are maxima enthusiasts and and other just happen to own a maxima..
Old 09-26-2006, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Hmm, Im FAR from any of this. I guess thats why u said most.

From what i can see with my limited time spent in the 6th gen forum, you, chern, and dues seem to be the only (maybe i missed a few) ones to take constructive criticism and aren't what nismo listed. BUT you have to admit that most other 6th gen owners on the board are what he said....i don't know how ya'll deal with it!

as for MAX2DAMAX:

Obviously writing english isn't you're only problem. You also aren't able to read it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:27 AM
fwd gone rwd cr00

I thought it was only the 4th gen forums that had these kinds of posts. Obviously I was wrong.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
:
From what i can see with my limited time spent in the 6th gen forum, you, chern, and dues seem to be the only (maybe i missed a few) ones to take constructive criticism and aren't what nismo listed.
What about me?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by loverholic
like i said before, some of us on here are maxima enthusiasts and and other just happen to own a maxima..

Yeah, it's a good way to think about everything.

I talked a buddy into getting a 96 Maxima SE 5spd that has had everything go wrong with it (a real lemon) and as hard as it was I had to apologies to him for that, but he still liked it so much he got a 04 Maxima SL cause he liked what the mission of the maxima was, a really nice camry/accord anti-clone with different style and a semi-sporty charm.

So of us take it a bit further, and call themselves enthusiasts.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 AM

Ok people, before you all get btt hurt, put it this way, you say my car is ugly is like saying my girl is ugly, and thats not going to fly by. dont expect me to sit here and do nothing about it. If you dont like the 6th gen keep it to your self, and if you want to write about it, dont think that you are not going to get burned for it.. besides comparing the 6th to previous gens is like comparing oranges to apples, totally different cars, they just have the same name, thats why there is this line between 6 and the rest.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:00 AM

... you say my car is ugly is like saying my girl is ugly, and thats not going to fly by...
Taking it WAY too personal yo.

Every maxima is pretty in its own way, and ugly in its own way.

1st gen:
Pro:
RWD, good options to increase power.
IRS a rare option for RWD cars in those days.
Had some nice features.
Cons:
Grille was ugly as sin.
Makes UPS trucks call them boxy
small on the inside.

2nd gen:
Pro:
FWD
Good power in those days.
IRS (i think at least)
lots of electro goodies inside
Cons:
FWD
box styling
rear end+trunk lid sucks

3rd gen:
Pro:
Lots of power (3.5 gen at least)
Good looks in those days
IRS
ABS+airbag
first 4DSC
Cons:
low power (3.0 gen with the VG motor)
heavy, chassis not built well
rust is not fun
rear end is pretty ugly along with early model grilles

4th gen:
Pro:
looks (later in life that is)
power from the vq (and the sound of a CAI is great)
car feels light on its feet
Cons:
looks (still doesnt look as good as the 3rd gen )
rear end is pretty lame
twist beam (yeah it may handle better on the track but...)
interior took about 2 steps back in build quality.
rear end is pretty bad through most of its life front grille was lame in early models

5th gen:
Pro:
power of course
did i say power (read 5.5 gen + 6spd)
still a light car = fast
interior gets better
looks are better and grow on you fast.
Cons:
twist beam again
the camry/accords are getting pretty good now...
rear end is still ugly (not the grille though)

6th gen:
Pros:
Good looks (to some)
nice options inside
6 spd (until 07)
great power
interior gets even better
IRS bad from the dead.
drool exhaust (not a typo)
Cons:
Looks (ugly from the grille to the rear end)
HEAVY (the 5.5 gen is faster)
CVT only for 07
expensive
Did i say the rear end is ugly
Old 09-26-2006, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
What about me?
I said maybe I missed a few
And I don't hang out in the 6th gen forums very often, so those are the only people who i've really seen post something constructive. I think i've seen you in the all motor forum but that could be a different person.

Ok people, before you all get btt hurt, put it this way, you say my car is ugly is like saying my girl is ugly, and thats not going to fly by. dont expect me to sit here and do nothing about it. If you dont like the 6th gen keep it to your self, and if you want to write about it, dont think that you are not going to get burned for it.. besides comparing the 6th to previous gens is like comparing oranges to apples, totally different cars, they just have the same name, thats why there is this line between 6 and the rest.
Well I've heard several comments about how the rear of my car looks bug-eyed but I take no offense to it, because I like the way my car looks and that's all that matters. And I agree with you, to some extent, that comparing generations are apples to oranges, but I think that 5.5 gen vs. 6th gen is a good comparison as they both have the 3.5 and they're both new enough to not be worn out, component-wise, like the 3rd and 4th gens. This whole argument started from you saying you could 'smoke' everyone with your 20's, and not because someone made fun of the way your car looks, although there were a few comments thrown out there. Take it as a grain of salt because the way people feel about how a car looks is 100% opinion and everyone is entitled to their own.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:20 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=nismology]A few things i noticed about most 6th gen owners.

I never knock down anyone's ride. I brought my 6th gen because I like it period. I will be keeping it for a long time. Yes I do mod my car just like most Maxima owner's do.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:27 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=89blackse]

Those cross-eyed lights on the '04 to '06 are not fog lights. They are cornering lights.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 AM

I walked past a 2002/2003 SE today

Made me want to buy one
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
owned a 3rd gen, now a 6th. i don't miss the 3rd gen one bit.
An automatic VG

one last time for good measure, sir!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:55 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by MrGone
I walked past a 2002/2003 SE today

Made me want to buy one
I walked pass a brand new Lexus yesterday, I will have one.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:06 PM
SmokinMaxSE

I was willing to consider that theory but some of these "Maxima" owners want us to believe they are so loyal and love a piece of trash used up/eye sore rolling trash can for a car ??????????

6gens are not the best looking cars but I have yet to see any other gen on this forum make me think otherwise. Loving the 5.5gen helped me decide on a 6gen. I'll be pimping my Max until I'm done
Old 09-26-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SmokinMaxSE
... love a piece of trash used up/eye sore rolling trash can for a car ...

hey now, be nice...
Old 09-26-2006, 02:07 PM

6gen + cvt = 6.5 gen segway into 7th gen = Large Luxury sedan with kick *** motor and "decent" dynamics. That's what people who buy max's want and that's what they'll get. Yes it may be the end to some, but the beginning for others.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:00 PM

amen to that ^^^^
Old 09-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Wow I never realized that there was so much anamosity between the Gens!!! Or at least between the 6th Gen and all the others. Yes I can see people being guarded about their cars and how one would feel that one gen is better than the other. Just look at it as evolution things will change the the things car buyers want in cars now is differnent then what they wanted 5 + yrs ago. I love my 6th gen I also loved the 4th gen I had for a short time. My only issue with this whole thread is the stereo types that get thown around. So since I since I like to have nice 20's and video for my kids and a killer system that I am shallow. You all need to grow up. We should all embrass what each other is doing with each gen of the max. Just my .02
Old 09-26-2006, 06:27 PM
iAMIXAM!

Originally Posted by KUBLKMAX
Wow I never realized that there was so much anamosity between the Gens!!! Or at least between the 6th Gen and all the others. Yes I can see people being guarded about their cars and how one would feel that one gen is better than the other. Just look at it as evolution things will change the the things car buyers want in cars now is differnent then what they wanted 5 + yrs ago. I love my 6th gen I also loved the 4th gen I had for a short time. My only issue with this whole thread is the stereo types that get thown around. So since I since I like to have nice 20's and video for my kids and a killer system that I am shallow. You all need to grow up. We should all embrass what each other is doing with each gen of the max. Just my .02
amen to that brotha....
Old 09-26-2006, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=89blackse]Dear Nissan and .org members,

I don't spend much time in the other gen forums other than the 3rd gen cause its what i own, but there is a trend for many people to move onto G35's or BMW's or Audi's or whatever instead of looking at the new maximas.

Why is this?

Well, my reason is.... back when I purchased my 3rd gen Maxima it cost me $16500.00 out the door brand new, When I went to look at the 2005/06 Models the salesman could not justify the price difference. at $34,000+ for a new Maxima I just could not do it. Ok the motor has more HP, the inside has more electronic gizmos, but thats it, It is not worth the $17000+ more.

But I did not look at BMW's or Audi's I went for the Titan LE KingCab 4X4 loaded, now were're talkin.

Oh yes my 91 Maxima rides just a smooth today as the day I purchased it.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:03 PM

Next step will be the M35 or M45 Infinit~~~~~~Y
Old 09-26-2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by KUBLKMAX
Fair enough, but allow me to add one more flame.

You know a car is too big when you gotta get 20's just to get the proportions right.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:53 PM

Can't we all just be friends???!!! but seriously, I admit, Ive hitched on the Maxima train late. I own a 6gen and never have owned anything older in the honoured Maxima line. I HAVE however owned and loved a 1986 Pathfinder and now that Im in the position to own another Nissan, bought the best NEW Nissan out there, the flagship Maxima. Like what a bunch of people said in the above posts .... lets respect each others rides, dispite what we think of the looks of one or the other, or who can run circles around who .... who the F@#% cares. Enjoy your whip!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:00 PM

No idea what all of the arguing is about. Every generation Maxima is great, and each has its pros and cons. I own a 6th gen, and I know it has some cons like the grille, but the pros are great too. I bought it because I like it, and I know for sure it is not ugly. The performance of a car that big, is great..good sound too. I don't think any gen max is ugly at all. Would you rather own a Hyundai Accent, or a 6th Gen? Heres what I think ..1st and 2nd Gen..little outdated, but nothing wrong with them. (Bring the diesel back) 3rd Gen...Amazing, Love the styling again.. 4th/5th Awesome and GREAT styling, and......I have no complaints about any max.. The best max would have to be 7th gen with RWD + 300 HP...V8...and you got it..

Do you think 7th gen max will be based on 07 g35 sedan?
Old 09-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I disagree, mine makes a wonderful housewife!

And everyone can agree the Maxima has gotten bigger and heavier over the years and maybe you don't like the styling or maybe you do. The point is that a 6th gen is still a well appointed sedan that can be driven hard and fast. And maybe I did put a dvd in for the kid, but I'll be rolling on rims that are 15lbs a corner so it evens out.
HAHAHAH!!

Quick Reply: 6th gen maxima and now the CVT = Death of the Maxima