General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

6th gen maxima and now the CVT = Death of the Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 AM
"and falling like a rock"

6th gen maxima and now the CVT = Death of the Maxima

Dear Nissan and .org members,

I don't spend much time in the other gen forums other than the 3rd gen cause its what i own, but there is a trend for many people to move onto G35's or BMW's or Audi's or whatever instead of looking at the new maximas.

Why is this?

I think the 04 Maxima was a big let down for long time maxima lovers. I had honest hopes if it being a rear drive sedan (a lot like the G really) but then they said that it was based on the altima.

Ok

They can still work the sheetmetal and make a nice looking car (maximas have never really been beautiful cars, but we learn to live with them) and what does Nissan give us?

Look at it, from the cross-eyed fogs to the bucktooth grill to the WTF rear door window sails to the hood. It just looks terrible, and don't get me started on the rear end, I mean, yeah no maxima has had a decent rear end, but COME THE FAWK ON. That’s the best you could do?

Ok, at least we get a powerful engine and IRS and good brakes, and interesting "sunroof" glass, and a 6spd.

O wait. Now we have CVT, cool. WOOOOOH where is the 6spd!

I know this is all old news but I honestly think that this will be the death of the maxima as we know and love. From a number of polls on this forum about 1/2 of maximas on this forum drive manuals, so that half will never buy a new maxima (unless something changes) and the other half are buying this thing as a nice lux car with few mods other than a K and N airfilter.

The passion is leaving these cars rapidly and going to the, until recently, joke names Infinity, and Mazda and others.

If I had to get a New car today, it would be a 07 Mazda 3s sedan.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:33 AM

uh might this post be a few years too late?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 AM
♠♠♠♠♠

this seems to be a reoccuring theme: no one likes the 6th gen. well not no one, but a lot of long time maxima owners. I thnk a few factors play in here - first, it seems Nissan's vision of what kind of car the maxima is, is changing, so the car is changing. A lot of the people who are longtime maxima enthusiasts are probably getting older, they can afford a more expensive, sportier car, which is why I think we see people moving to BMW, G35 and others, as you said.

It's been mentioned before, but I think Nissan is trying to turn the Altima, and their previously "lower end" models into the new Maxima. I think Nissan is hoping their longtime maxima buyers will buy into their Infiniti line and people who previously bought altimas, sentras will be looking for an upgarde to the Max.

I can see how maxima owners might feel left in the dark with this, as they have been longtime buyers and it might be sad to move on.. but honestly, I think we're just seeing the natural progression of the auto industry.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:56 AM

It is where the industry is going, and in particular Nissan is going. I honestly dont see why they are moving cars “up market” whereas in the past they would just make a new model to cover that market segment.

Why are they retooling these cars and keeping their low-end nameplate. Yeah sure the new Altima is a kick azz car and the 3.5SE is really what the Maxima was a couple years ago, but its still an Altima.

And now the sentra is taking over for the Altima, with that fugly Versa taking the low-end slack.

And on top of that, Nissan is moving the Maxima away from the old Poor mans BMW image to the poor mans old Lexus image, for whatever reason.

The 04 maxima could have STARTED this whole trend of moving to RWD performance sedans that the American (300C, Next gen Grand Prix, etc...) are capitalizing on now. Instead they made a really nice low end FWD Q45 for a market that wants style and RWD/AWD.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MacGarnicle
this seems to be a reoccuring theme: no one likes the 6th gen. well not no one, but a lot of long time maxima owners. I thnk a few factors play in here - first, it seems Nissan's vision of what kind of car the maxima is, is changing, so the car is changing. A lot of the people who are longtime maxima enthusiasts are probably getting older, they can afford a more expensive, sportier car, which is why I think we see people moving to BMW, G35 and others, as you said.

It's been mentioned before, but I think Nissan is trying to turn the Altima, and their previously "lower end" models into the new Maxima. I think Nissan is hoping their longtime maxima buyers will buy into their Infiniti line and people who previously bought altimas, sentras will be looking for an upgarde to the Max.

I can see how maxima owners might feel left in the dark with this, as they have been longtime buyers and it might be sad to move on.. but honestly, I think we're just seeing the natural progression of the auto industry.
Well said, and this has already been beaten to death. If you like it then thats cool, if not then thats your choice.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Glude
Well said, and this has already been beaten to death. If you like it then thats cool, if not then thats your choice.

Go your car. This may have been talked about in detail in the 6th gen forums, but I wanted to see what 2nd/3rd/4th gen owners feel about this.

Most of us started with these POS maximas, maybe bought another one to really have fun with, then looked to get a new maxima as their disposable income rises.

Now for some of us, our income is at that level and what do we find, no performance/manual maxima (despite what the lipstick commercial says) like the ones we own.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The next gen Altima will smoke all previous max's in performance with a new 6spd, next gen VQ, and new platform that is stiffer with better handling. If you can't get over the fact it says Altima then it's your own fault for being stubborn and blind.
Old 09-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It doesn not look that bad, honestly its just a bigger version of the Saturn ION in my eyes. I buy cars for they way they feel inside and drive. Look at my car, no one buys a Accord V6 MT EX for the looks, its for the way the motors vrooms and that awesome Honda shifting manual.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:29 PM

IBwedontlikethe6Gbecausewecantaffordone
Old 09-23-2006, 07:12 PM
SmokinMaxSE

Originally Posted by 89blackse
Go your car. This may have been talked about in detail in the 6th gen forums, but I wanted to see what 2nd/3rd/4th gen owners feel about this.

Most of us started with these POS maximas, maybe bought another one to really have fun with, then looked to get a new maxima as their disposable income rises.

Now for some of us, our income is at that level and what do we find, no performance/manual maxima (despite what the lipstick commercial says) like the ones we own.
Well, I just purchased my 04 Max SE. My last car was a 2001 Grand AM GT with Ram air appearance package(hood & spoiler). I felt the way you feel,only about the new Grand Prix. I think it looks like a stretched Grand Am with an Ugly front end. Many people wanted to see the Supercharged 3.8 with a 6 speed manual. Never happened. From my point of view the Maxima was more performance oriented offering an optional 6 speed. I also think that it looks bolder than the Grand Prix. I got tired of cheap interior plastic parts. When I test drove the Altima SE-R and Maxima SE, I knew I was going to have one of them. More people in my area drive big cars with lots of power.

I will say that I never liked the Grill on the new Maxima but that didn't stop me from purchasing. I love the rear of this car.There is so much more in this package than the grill. I changed the grill anyway. When I'm on the highway in this car it shocks me every time, the power is more than enough for a car even this big. I don't know where Nissan is going with the 2007 model but lets keep our fingers crossed for the next Maxima.

Buy what you want. Who knows I might purchase a Lexus or Acura in a couple of years. This is how you get what you want.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:42 PM

I think it's kind of odd that you can buy a Versa with a 6 speed manual, if Nissan can offer a 4AT, a 6MT and a CVT why can't they do the same with the Maxima.

Seems like the Corporate heads roll the dice on decision making, why does the Maxima even come in SE and SL they are supposedly identical except for wheel size, a simple option package could upgrade the 17 to 18, early on they where different but that ended.

This is all confusing, if Nissan is taking the Maxima upmarket hopefully it will see a RWD setup with optional AWD of some sort, it would also be nice to see a 6 speed auto in the Nissan lineup along side the CVT.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:30 PM

I have a 04 Maxima SE right now and I love this car. I dont think i would ever get an Altima, no matter how well they perform. I think its the fact that every other car i see is an Altima. Yeah the 2007 altima is nice and new right now.. But by this time next year i'm gonna hate seeing the altima.

My next step will be an Infiniti something. I just cant see myself ever paying close to 30k for an Altima.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:14 PM

Eventually 30k wont be a nice car, inflations a *itch. As for everyone having them, everyone used to have maximas. I can't even count how many 5th gens I see everyday. What would the point of offering a 6spd auto be if you already have a cvt. The only reason the 4spd is even offered in the versa is because Nissan can't make production quotas with the cvt. Eventually the standard auto will be dropped from the versa and all new Nissans will only have cvt or stick(except maxima).
Old 09-24-2006, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by STARR
...This is all confusing, if Nissan is taking the Maxima upmarket hopefully it will see a RWD setup with optional AWD of some sort...

This is more or less the point of this thread. They fawked the dog with the new maxima's looks and with the CVT only bs. Plus they are still FWD?!

I am holding hope (again) that they next one will be a RWD platform with some bigger engine choices (The maxima started life by bringing the Z engine to a sedan, well now EVERY* Nissan has this engine) and some real performance tuning.

*Yes Yes Yes I know not every nissan has the VQ engine.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:21 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

the new maxima is ugly. If it's ugly, i ain't buying it.

Compared to the 4th/5th gen, one who didn't want to move up to "luxury" and stay within the Nissan family would get an altima. Why pay extra?

Personally, I'm moving to Infiniti .. G35. Same awesome engine, sporty, classy, beautiful, etc.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
the new maxima is ugly. If it's ugly, i ain't buying it.

Compared to the 4th/5th gen, one who didn't want to move up to "luxury" and stay within the Nissan family would get an altima. Why pay extra?

Personally, I'm moving to Infiniti .. G35. Same awesome engine, sporty, classy, beautiful, etc.
Yeah, I think a lot of agree with you.

You cant go wrong with the G35, I only wish they made the AWD version with a Manual, but that is a very small complaint.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 PM

Whats wrong with CVT? You'd take a 6sp over a 5sp, why not just take it to the max and give it an infinite number of gear ratios?
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by 96i30azn
Whats wrong with CVT? You'd take a 6sp over a 5sp, why not just take it to the max and give it an infinite number of gear ratios?

CVT = 2 pedals
Manual = 3 pedals

3>2

Manual FTW!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:32 PM

I like the G35coupe not so much a sedan fan, the 3 series/G35sedan size car is nice but I bought the Maxima for the size, Im 6'2 220 and Im just more comfortable in a mid-size sedan.

If I go upmarket I would most likely look at the M35 or GS350, here in the northeast it seems that those 2 cars are standard with AWD, very hard to find 1 with RWD, I've driven 4WD/AWD SUV as daily drivers before the Maxima and you don't need a 4wd for snow, they just want consumers spending more for false sense of security.

The 7th Gen Maxima should be a 300C competitior, large RWD otional AWD, big engine cars are making a return with good gas mileage, keep it at 35-43k and make an SRT version, it has to be value and bang for the buck, just seems like the only way to not make it look like a bigger altima.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by 89blackse
CVT = 2 pedals
Manual = 3 pedals

3>2

Manual FTW!
You must not like SMG either
Old 09-24-2006, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6
Bad example.

SMG = manual transmission w/out the 3rd pedal and physical shift control linkage
CVT= auto transmission with infinite number of gear ratios
Old 09-24-2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Nissan 6

CVT = 2 pedals
Manual = 3 pedals
SMG = 2 pedals + 2 paddles = 4

SMG FTW

SMG's are great, but no I don't think* I would like them. I like having that little extra bit of control that comes from the combo of clutch pedal and gear shifter to pick my gears and control clutch slip how I want.

* Never have, prolly never will drive a SMG so I am bias.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Bad example.

SMG = manual transmission w/out the 3rd pedal and physical shift control linkage
CVT= auto transmission with infinite number of gear ratios
Since he was grading the transmission on the number of pedals how is it a bad example?
Old 09-24-2006, 07:49 PM

blah blah blah
Old 09-24-2006, 07:59 PM

This exact same post happens every generation

People upgrade to BMW's because they are BMW's
Old 09-24-2006, 08:23 PM
SmokinMaxSE

If someone has $27k or more to spend on a new car, why start threads about how sad it is that you can't find something else to spend your money on? I would go find the ride, spend the cash, then come here post pictures and then talk/compare. Anything else is "stuck on stupid".
Old 09-25-2006, 04:53 AM
Banned

If you like your 89 maxima more power to ya, its obvious you have never been behind the wheel of a 2004+ maxima. Its hell on wheels compared to an 89 maxima, and could run circles around it on any track,....this is a really tired and old topic. If the 6th gen is so inferior why are people buying it and not seeking out used past generation models instead and saving alot of money to boot?
Old 09-25-2006, 10:50 AM

you cant make a hoe into a housewife!
Old 09-25-2006, 11:00 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Old 09-25-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
If you like your 89 maxima more power to ya, its obvious you have never been behind the wheel of a 2004+ maxima. Its hell on wheels compared to an 89 maxima, and could run circles around it on any track,....this is a really tired and old topic. If the 6th gen is so inferior why are people buying it and not seeking out used past generation models instead and saving alot of money to boot?
#1 don't start this "running circles" crap again....

#2 I'd like to see your car perform as good as a 3rd gen in 17 years. I'm sorry to say it, but the level of quality put into cars is rapidly decreasing. I'm not just talking about the 6th gens, i think the 5th gens aren't built as well as 3rd gens and I own a 5th gen! You're comparing complete apples to oranges here, and if the 3rd gen were new, it would EASILY 'run circles' around your behemoth on a track.

#3 Most of the people aren't comparing the 6th gen to their previous gen (although I would take a 5.5 over a 6th gen any day of the week even if the 6th gen were to cost less, but that's just me) but rather to the competition. In 2002, the maxima was in a class by itself making much more power and offering standard options not seen on most midsize sedans (VVT, HID headlights, etc.) In 2004, the competition was seriously increased, and now the 6th gen falls sub-par compared to it's competition (even moreso with the scrap of the 6-speed). I would WAY rather get an altima over it for obvious reasons, because I actually look at how the car performs, and not at the name...
Old 09-25-2006, 11:49 AM

To me... the g35 sedan is the new maxima.

As for Maxima going RWD? Doubt that'll ever happen... unless they change the name. I dont know a single car that has been in such long production that suddently changed it's wheel drive from fwd to rwd or visa versa.

The 6th gen shouldn't even be called a maxima... behemoth would be the right name for it ^
Old 09-25-2006, 12:02 PM
iAMIXAM!

well all these types of thread does it seperate the maxima enthusiasts from the one who just own a maxima... i love maxima..... and even when they fall short.... i am gonna be there for them till they pick themselves back up.... every car has its lil short comings... but it get fixed all the time..... maxima is a lovely car..its a bit bubbly like nmax said inthe past but its still a maxima.... and someday when it comes with a 298hp motor and a 6spd tranny... the lost ones will find their way back... nissan fell a lil short with the 6th gen, but i am very optimistic about the future.... some of you disagree with me...like i said, some of us are maxima enthusiats and other just own a maxima...
my $0.02
Old 09-25-2006, 01:07 PM

owned a 3rd gen, now a 6th. i don't miss the 3rd gen one bit.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
owned a 3rd gen, now a 6th. i don't miss the 3rd gen one bit.
I owned a 5.5 gen and a 6th gen till a couple months back, traded in the 5.5 gen and kept the 6th gen for many reasons.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
#1 don't start this "running circles" crap again....

#2 I'd like to see your car perform as good as a 3rd gen in 17 years. I'm sorry to say it, but the level of quality put into cars is rapidly decreasing. I'm not just talking about the 6th gens, i think the 5th gens aren't built as well as 3rd gens and I own a 5th gen! You're comparing complete apples to oranges here, and if the 3rd gen were new, it would EASILY 'run circles' around your behemoth on a track.

#3 Most of the people aren't comparing the 6th gen to their previous gen (although I would take a 5.5 over a 6th gen any day of the week even if the 6th gen were to cost less, but that's just me) but rather to the competition. In 2002, the maxima was in a class by itself making much more power and offering standard options not seen on most midsize sedans (VVT, HID headlights, etc.) In 2004, the competition was seriously increased, and now the 6th gen falls sub-par compared to it's competition (even moreso with the scrap of the 6-speed). I would WAY rather get an altima over it for obvious reasons, because I actually look at how the car performs, and not at the name...
Ok them,,, mmmm, so explain how the **** a 5th gen maxima could not keep up with my stock 6th on 20s? and dont give me carp about the other guy not pushing his car, cause i know he was trying. .
6th gnrs might be big, what is amazing about them, is that they can still smoke you (on 20s)
Old 09-25-2006, 03:47 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
it's a boat compared to other gens, so it's not going to run circles... it's going to float... not circles either. it's not any faster then 5.5 gen or 4.5 gen. and it's uglier er erer. did i mention it's a boat?

Old 09-25-2006, 03:52 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
Ok them,,, mmmm, so explain how the **** a 5th gen maxima could not keep up with my stock 6th on 20s? and dont give me carp about the other guy not pushing his car, cause i know he was trying. .
6th gnrs might be big, what is amazing about them, is that they can still smoke you (on 20s)
20s? in crome? what a

Old 09-25-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by MAX2DAMAX
I'm sorry, but i refuse to believe someone who can't speak proper english. The same goes for the fact that all you care about is bling. (20's says it all...) The 6th gen has a very long wheel base, and a considerable girth. My car may not handle well, but it certainly can out handle yours stock for stock.

What do you mean that your car 'can still smoke [me]'? I think I'm being 100% honest when I say that everyone who was at MSR during maxus 2006 can vouch for the fact that my car can handle. See this video: ( http://www.phdmp.com/pix/mysupra/MSR_June_3rd.wmv ) I'm the one pretty much hanging with the 390 whp supra to the end.

Furthermore, my "slow" 5th gen is considerably faster than your bloated 6th gen on serving platters, sorry to tell you. And I'm not even going to comment on the '5th gen maxima [that] could not keep up' with you, because that is the most vague statement I think I've ever heard and because of the reasons stated above.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
I'm sorry, but i refuse to believe someone who can't speak proper english. The same goes for the fact that all you care about is bling. (20's says it all...) The 6th gen has a very long wheel base, and a considerable girth. My car may not handle well, but it certainly can out handle yours stock for stock.

What do you mean that your car 'can still smoke [me]'? I think I'm being 100% honest when I say that everyone who was at MSR during maxus 2006 can vouch for the fact that my car can handle. See this video: ( http://www.phdmp.com/pix/mysupra/MSR_June_3rd.wmv ) I'm the one pretty much hanging with the 390 whp supra to the end.

Furthermore, my "slow" 5th gen is considerably faster than your bloated 6th gen on serving platters, sorry to tell you. And I'm not even going to comment on the '5th gen maxima [that] could not keep up' with you, because that is the most vague statement I think I've ever heard and because of the reasons stated above.
Im not going to argue, but where is your reasoning for saying the car is faster? It hasnt been proven really, and just because the 6th gen weighs a couple hundred lbs more doesnt make it slower. Just wondering...
Old 09-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
Im not going to argue, but where is your reasoning for saying the car is faster? It hasnt been proven really, and just because the 6th gen weighs a couple hundred lbs more doesnt make it slower. Just wondering...
track times stock for stock go in favor of the 5.5 gen. The 6th gen autos are faster than the 5.5 gen autos due to the extra gear, but 5.5 gen 6-speeds are quicker than * (even if it's by a small margin between the two 6-speeds)

EDIT: and yes, it's VERY hard to judge the performance due to different drivers/conditions/mods/tires, etc. etc. etc. but I'm basing this off of a general average...(typically auto 5.5 gens do 14.6-15.0 auto 6th gens do 14.4-14.8 manual 5.5 gens do 14.1-14.6 manual 6th gens do 14.3-14.7)

Quick Reply: 6th gen maxima and now the CVT = Death of the Maxima