General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

when u guys polish your car ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 11:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

does it leave a film on the paint? how do you remove?

I'm using the Meguire's swirl remover & polish .. but when I try & remove it .. it leaves an oily film that won't come off easily! the same occurs when I use the stuff Nissan gave me ... am I doing something wrong?
Old 06-29-2001, 12:46 AM

It does leave a film on the paint.

Remeber that you should use as minimal of polish as you can when wiping it down on the paint. You should spread them as evenly as you can across the paint; thus, leaving very little of the polish. What I meant was that they have to be thin enough to dry off to haze.

You should do the polish before you use the swirl remover.
Old 06-29-2001, 12:48 AM

answer

You're either:

a). Putting too much wax or polish on

b). You are not rubbing the polish enough. You need to keep on working at it until that film is gone.

or

c). When you go back to take the wax or polish off the car, make sure to use a clean portion of the towel. If you continue to remove the wax with the same part of your clean towel, then eventually you will be rubbing the wax back into the surface.

I always use at least two towels. One to apply the wax and another to remove it. Occasionally, I have to use a third towel once my wax removal towel becomes inundated with wax.

David C.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:13 AM

What exactly is the difference between a wax and a polish? Or are they the same thing??

Also, Maximapower: you have a WICKED Maxima..I love your paintjob. What exactly is that colour called?
Old 06-29-2001, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
What exactly is the difference between a wax and a polish? Or are they the same thing??

Also, Maximapower: you have a WICKED Maxima..I love your paintjob. What exactly is that colour called?
OMG! I hope you haven't been using polish as wax!

Polish is a compound that removes older wax. You do the polish once a year before a major waxing.

Glaze is a sealer that seals the paint to give it a deep shiny look. However, it does not protect the car. It should be used after polishing.

Wax is something a protects the car. It should be used after the polish and glaze.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:20 AM

Really?? Dang..I always thought polish gave the shine and the wax protected the shine..but I wasn't sure which is why I asked.

SO what if my car is already waxed? Should I use the polish then glaze and then wax? Or can I just wash like I normally do, and then add glaze and wax?
Old 06-29-2001, 11:38 AM

Pure Fire Prism

Old 06-29-2001, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

probably just to much polish

Go to Meguiar's website and fill out the paint care prescription form, and it will tell you what to use and in which order, just make sure and check the professional products button.
Old 06-29-2001, 04:27 PM

Really?? Dang..I always thought polish gave the shine and the wax protected the shine..but I wasn't sure which is why I asked.

SO what if my car is already waxed? Should I use the polish then glaze and then wax? Or can I just wash like I normally do, and then add glaze and wax?
The proper way to do it is like this:

Wash your car. Dry it
Use polish
Use Glaze
Use Wax (2 layers)

This way, you only have to wax twice a year. If you just keep on waxing over the old wax, your paint will look very dule and will loose its color.
I've done the whole thing in less than 3 hours.
Old 06-30-2001, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by LoveSick
OMG! I hope you haven't been using polish as wax!

Polish is a compound that removes older wax. You do the polish once a year before a major waxing.

Glaze is a sealer that seals the paint to give it a deep shiny look. However, it does not protect the car. It should be used after polishing.

Wax is something a protects the car. It should be used after the polish and glaze.
Since all the Zaino products are polishes, do they not protect your paint? Is it unsafe to use Zaino too often? Should I wax after Zaino?