General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Se Rules

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 01:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I can't help but jump in... GXEs all want to be SEs! and last week at the track I ran much better times then ejj did in his GXE and he has tons more mods than I do (no flames eric, I know your hole in the y-pipe is the reason you were stuck in the GXE 15 sec club.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:56 PM
Administrator

don't also leave out that Eric has 17 inch Konig monsoons that weigh about 45lbs each with rims and tires and that your SE rims are 16's which weigh about 29 lbs with rims and tires

Originally posted by theblue
I can't help but jump in... GXEs all want to be SEs! and last week at the track I ran much better times then ejj did in his GXE and he has tons more mods than I do (no flames eric, I know your hole in the y-pipe is the reason you were stuck in the GXE 15 sec club.
Old 06-30-2001, 01:57 PM
Administrator

thats funny... sx7r weighed his GXE at the truck station and it was 2900 lbs .. and my 97 GXE weighs 2830

Originally posted by dental stud
Actually the GLE is marketed as "top". But we all know the SE is best stock for stock. When you compare modded cars vs. stock cars, you're comparing two different cars entirely, not different models. And that's what this thread was about. One more thing...what is up with this idea that the SE is so heavy compared to the GXE? In Nissan's own brochure, a '99 GXE manual is 3,012 lbs and an SE manual is 3,014. Boy, lemme tell you, those 2 pounds are gonna make SOOOOOOOOO much difference, LOL. The curb weight is so similar that what matters more is unsprung weight...I'd wager the SE's wheels are lighter than the GXE's, reducing unsprung weight and contributing to slightly quicker acceleration. I'm talking extremely slight differences, but the whole point of this thread is over slight differences. They're both great cars, dangit! If you wanna stay relatively stock, get an SE. If you wanna mod the heck out of it, get a GXE. The SE is better off the lot, though.
Old 06-30-2001, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
don't also leave out that Eric has 17 inch Konig monsoons that weigh about 45lbs each with rims and tires and that your SE rims are 16's which weigh about 29 lbs with rims and tires
not my fault, he choose his own fate

I seriously expect him to run 14.5s once his b-pipe + y-pipe arrive.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:26 AM
MaxedOut97SE

Ok here we go again....wait screw it I don't wanna waste my time....maybe later. SE!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2001, 08:13 AM

who cares all maximas are nice....but SEs look better(atleast 5th generation does)
Old 07-01-2001, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Sounds to me like SE owners are turning their cars into Aftermarket GXE's so they spend more money upfront and then the spend more money after trying to look like an aftermarket GXE
Originally posted by AndyXXL

Oh really? So you saying I, for example, make a bad reputation for Maxima cars? That's nonsense buddy. I'm not trying to make my car perform like an SE, my car can outperform a stock SE. Why would I spend tons of money to get what I'll have to replace in the future anyway??? You pay more for your "se tuned" suspension and end up replacing it for an aftermarket one just like GXE owners do. So what's the point of buying an SE when most of you replace white gauges with indiglo, just like SprintMax pointed out. What's the point of paying more for a Bose stereo, then complain that it's the worst stereo ever and end up replacing it for an aftermarket stereo? What's the point of getting a car with factory leather when some end up getting a new aftermarket 2 tone leather upholstery?
If you try to use your brain for just a minute, you'll realize that you over pay for your SEs and then end up spending more money to replace all that stuff for something new.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:45 AM

jOO all sux
Automagic SE's owns jOO
Old 07-01-2001, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by mAdD MAX
THe SEs get LSD and leather/bose/climate control all standard with bigger rims and tires.
what good is LSD with no power?
Old 07-01-2001, 11:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SprintMax
Sounds to me like SE owners are turning their cars into Aftermarket GXE's so they spend more money upfront and then the spend more money after trying to look like an aftermarket GXE
That's exactly my thought, SprintMax.
Old 07-01-2001, 05:21 PM

There are two thing that makes each and every Maxima a winner:

VQ30

VE30

'Nuf said
Old 07-01-2001, 05:31 PM
Administrator

bert.. are you putting down the Tick tick tick of the VG30?
Originally posted by bert
There are two thing that makes each and every Maxima a winner:

VQ30

VE30

'Nuf said
Old 07-01-2001, 08:37 PM

Originally posted by sx7r

what good is LSD with no power?
What good is 280hp and 380ftlb of torque with no LSD?
Old 07-01-2001, 10:29 PM
i SeE what you did therE

The BEST reason to have a SE would be the COLOR... you can't get my color on a GXE...

GXE
Old 07-01-2001, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick

What good is 280hp and 380ftlb of torque with no LSD?
hey get it straight, it's 295hp and 385ft-lb.
...rolling starts, heh heh.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:20 PM
RIceD OuT moDErAtor

hey.
at least GXEs owners have at least $3k in their wallets more than SE owners' once they step out of that show room.

besides.
you mod and SE, and mod a GXE, sooner or later, both will start lookin' the same.

and then it all comes down to..

GXEs are lighter. so. PPPTTTHHH :P
Old 07-01-2001, 11:24 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
hey.
at least GXEs owners have at least $3k in their wallets more than SE owners' once they step out of that show room.

besides.
you mod and SE, and mod a GXE, sooner or later, both will start lookin' the same.

eyyy we talkin about stock for stock, thats actually comparing the 2 models, once you mod it, then that doesnt really count as a comparision.
Old 07-01-2001, 11:35 PM

Originally posted by Chebosto
hey.

besides.

SE has better engine mount. It provided the confidient at high speed. Maybe GXE isn't that bad, but they are too classy and not sporty.....
Old 07-02-2001, 08:28 AM

Um.....did anybody read my earlier post? The difference is a measley TWO POUNDS. And when the 4th gens came out, the SE's were $1600 more than GXE's, not $3000 as someone else stated. Not a bad price for a slightly firmer suspension, wider tires, REAL alloy wheels (not wheel covers), leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, liquid-filled engine mounts (on automatics), white-faced gauges, a spoiler that doesn't look dumb like a GXE with an aftermarket spoiler AND that light still in the back window...even the rear seat trunk pass-thru was optional on the GXE's. Many upscale options were UNAVAILABLE...whereas an SE could be loaded up same as a GLE. If you don't want ANY of these options, then the GXE is better for you...but the SE is definitely the better car OFF THE LOT. And THAT's all you can compare, because you can mod ANY car to be "better" than another stock car.

GXE's are fine on a budget...or if you're doing crazy mods, anyway. GLE's are pointless because you can get an SE with the same options for the same money. But SE's can't be topped "as is".

Alex
Old 07-02-2001, 08:32 AM

Oh yeah, give us fog lights for free on ours, too.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by AndyXXL

Oh really? So you saying I, for example, make a bad reputation for Maxima cars? That's nonsense buddy. I'm not trying to make my car perform like an SE, my car can outperform a stock SE. Why would I spend tons of money to get what I'll have to replace in the future anyway??? You pay more for your "se tuned" suspension and end up replacing it for an aftermarket one just like GXE owners do. So what's the point of buying an SE when most of you replace white gauges with indiglo, just like SprintMax pointed out. What's the point of paying more for a Bose stereo, then complain that it's the worst stereo ever and end up replacing it for an aftermarket stereo? What's the point of getting a car with factory leather when some end up getting a new aftermarket 2 tone leather upholstery?
If you try to use your brain for just a minute, you'll realize that you over pay for your SEs and then end up spending more money to replace all that stuff for something new.
Preach on!!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 09:14 AM

Re: I have the best of both worlds

I don't agree that an SE is better than my GXE. Not everyone wants a stiff riding car(like me). I didn't want the the Bose, sunroof or leather. I don't have a governor and I like the chrome better than the SE's same color trim. I have fogs that are way better the OE SE fogs. All I need is a nice set of wheels and I am done.

I didn't buy the GXE to make an SE but I'll tell you what, stock for stock a GXE is faster than an SE. Now who will disagree? If you do, there is no case you can make up except for poor driving. The GXE is lighter.
Old 07-02-2001, 09:48 AM
Administrator

did you read my comment? your numbers are wrong

Originally posted by dental stud

Um.....did anybody read my earlier post? The difference is a measley TWO POUNDS. And when the 4th gens came out, the SE's were $1600 more than GXE's, not $3000 as someone else stated. Not a bad price for a slightly firmer suspension, wider tires, REAL alloy wheels (not wheel covers), leather wrapped steering wheel and shifter, liquid-filled engine mounts (on automatics), white-faced gauges, a spoiler that doesn't look dumb like a GXE with an aftermarket spoiler AND that light still in the back window...even the rear seat trunk pass-thru was optional on the GXE's. Many upscale options were UNAVAILABLE...whereas an SE could be loaded up same as a GLE. If you don't want ANY of these options, then the GXE is better for you...but the SE is definitely the better car OFF THE LOT. And THAT's all you can compare, because you can mod ANY car to be "better" than another stock car.

GXE's are fine on a budget...or if you're doing crazy mods, anyway. GLE's are pointless because you can get an SE with the same options for the same money. But SE's can't be topped "as is".

Alex
Old 07-02-2001, 10:13 AM

SE=stick. 'Nuff sed. SE rules.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:15 AM

If you plan on doing mods then the GXE makes tons of sense. Save 1000-2000-3000 (street-msrp) and put them on a set of wheels and tires, or skirts or whatever.

If you are not into moding then the SE or GLE makes sense. Please realise that I am Canadian, so when I say SE, I mean a Canadian SE, which is to say loaded.
Old 07-02-2001, 10:18 AM

Sprint,

What the hell does SE=Stick mean?

Can you correct johns please.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:04 PM

Hey, stop trying to drag the GLE into this, we GLE owners know the real truth. POPOUT DRAWER!!!!
Old 07-02-2001, 02:12 PM
Ford Only.

SE's OWN!
Old 07-02-2001, 02:13 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Originally posted by medicsonic
Hey, stop trying to drag the GLE into this, we GLE owners know the real truth. POPOUT DRAWER!!!!
Pop-Out Tray: 68475-40U10 (Wood) $40 68475-40U00 (Black) $65

How to? in Max.org "Shop Talk" section.

Old 07-02-2001, 02:18 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

The pop out drawer is nice. But I think the fuzzy A-pillars are the coolest thinig about the GLE.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg

The pop out drawer is nice. But I think the fuzzy A-pillars are the coolest thinig about the GLE.
Were they actually cloth covered on the 95 and 96 Models? I know the 97 to 99s are cheap vinyl......

Another casualty of "De-contenting Phase 3"....
Old 07-02-2001, 02:25 PM

Hey I forgot about that too, POPOUT DRAWER AND FUZZY A-PILLARS!!
Old 07-02-2001, 02:35 PM

Hey I forgot about that too, POPOUT DRAWER AND FUZZY A-PILLARS!!

Are the B and C-pillars fuzzy as well?
Old 07-02-2001, 02:46 PM

Yup, they are all fuzzy.
Old 07-02-2001, 02:50 PM

Yup, they are all fuzzy.
[Light bulb goes off]

Hmmmm....time to add the "fuzzy" package to the I30 Chrome Appearance Package.....

Boneyard huntin' time!
Old 07-02-2001, 02:55 PM
PRINCE NISMO

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE......

and it's the SE..... GX*....Who?

Old 07-02-2001, 02:57 PM

THE SE IS TWO POUNDS HEAVIER ACCORDING TO NISSAN THEMSELVES. IT'S IN THEIR OWN BROCHURE ON '99 MAXIMAS. WHO ELSE ARE WE TO BELIEVE?

Now that I got that out...FOR THE THIRD TIME...do you really think 2 pounds makes a car faster? If so, go on a diet, buddy, so you could "walk me". That is ridiculous...I could respond by saying that my "stiff" suspension helps me off the line because I don't get as much squat. There's some truth to that, actually. And certainly the lighter wheels (unsprung weight) also make more difference than TWO FREAKIN' POUNDS of curb weight. I don't think you can take a GXE with only $1600 extra (when the '95's came out, the GXE's started at $19,999 and the SE's at 21,599) and come out with a better car. Just the wheels and tires alone would cost that much or more if they're to be better. If you're making a complete tuner car and ripping out everything stock on your car, then get the GXE, yes. You WILL save a little money perhaps. But under NO other circumstances is it the better car. Try again.
Old 07-02-2001, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by bill99gxe

Were they actually cloth covered on the 95 and 96 Models? I know the 97 to 99s are cheap vinyl......

Another casualty of "De-contenting Phase 3"....
they're cloth covered in the gen 3's as well.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:11 PM
Administrator

GXE=stick.. next comment

Originally posted by johns
SE=stick. 'Nuff sed. SE rules.
Old 07-02-2001, 04:38 PM

In my family, we have 2 SE, 95SE and 98SE. Why do we want to buy SE?? Because SE sounds like SPORTS EDITION. Even thought I don't know if that's what it stand for..BUT SE sounds COOL...Enough said..Besides we had a little more cash in our pockets.

Quick Reply: Se Rules