General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

porterfield brake pad question / 2k SE

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2001, 12:03 AM

i stopped over at porterfields today and picked up front and rear brake pads for my 2k SE and noticed there are no signs of sensors. they don't come w/ any? am i just gonna have to keep an eye on the pads every so often? this will be my first brake job on my 2k (i've done many other cars though).

kafene.
Old 06-30-2001, 07:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kafene
i stopped over at porterfields today and picked up front and rear brake pads for my 2k SE and noticed there are no signs of sensors. they don't come w/ any? am i just gonna have to keep an eye on the pads every so often? this will be my first brake job on my 2k (i've done many other cars though).

kafene.
Sensors? I hope you are not talking transducers of some kind 'cause I've never heard of a car having a brake pad wear meter or the like. If you are talking wear markings on the sides, my 4th gen Porterfields do have those. Don't know about 5th gen. In any case, all it amounts to is viewing your pads for wear when the wheels are off, like when you rotate the tires.

Can you elaborate?
Old 06-30-2001, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by kafene

kafene.
I think you mean the shims, right? I know the Nissan brake kits come with new shims with wear indicators on them (makes a squealing or metallic noise when brakes wear down). You are right, the porterfields don't come with shims, but maybe you can reuse the nissan ones.
Old 06-30-2001, 09:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Eric L.

I think you mean the shims, right? I know the Nissan brake kits come with new shims with wear indicators on them (makes a squealing or metallic noise when brakes wear down). You are right, the porterfields don't come with shims, but maybe you can reuse the nissan ones.
The shims are not what makes the squeeling noise signaling the need for new pads. It is the metal backing of the pads that do that. It is impossible to wear down to the shims!!! Brake pads are made up of the braking material bonded to an equally thick metallic backing.
Old 07-01-2001, 06:37 AM

Technically you ***COULD*** eat into the shims. You would have some FUBAR rotors, but you could do it.

IMHO those squeelers are POS, they never seem to work. It's always safer to 1) take a look when the wheels are off. 2) change them way before they are ready. Up here we swap wheels 2 a year (winter / summer) with a rotation in between. It's never a question "do I wait for the next service?" It's do it and get it over with.
Old 07-01-2001, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

The shims are not what makes the squeeling noise signaling the need for new pads. It is the metal backing of the pads that do that. It is impossible to wear down to the shims!!! Brake pads are made up of the braking material bonded to an equally thick metallic backing.

Ha! You caught me. You are right. The wear indicators are on the inner brake pad on Maximas. If I recall correctly, the shims (and anti-rattle spring on 95+) prevent the pads from making a horrible squealing sound during braking. I remember my brakes were squealing very loudly, and my mechanic found a misaligned anti-rattle spring on the front right brake.