General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2000, 07:22 PM

How do you tell that your rear sus is toast? I've tried the bounce test...but still...?! anyways, I'm asking cos my rear on rough roads...sounds like the whole suspension is going to fall off the car....yikes!

problems occurred after installing the stillen sway bar...is it inherent cos of this or are my shocks toast?

I've got tokicos and eibach setup!

thanks
Old 10-17-2000, 08:24 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by tclee
How do you tell that your rear sus is toast? I've tried the bounce test...but still...?! anyways, I'm asking cos my rear on rough roads...sounds like the whole suspension is going to fall off the car....yikes!

problems occurred after installing the stillen sway bar...is it inherent cos of this or are my shocks toast?

I've got tokicos and eibach setup!

thanks
Is the bar on correctly and tightly? Cause not putting it on correctly would cause noises.

-Shing
Old 10-17-2000, 08:41 PM

maybe sometime this weekend, I'd raise my car and take a look at it again!...sigh!

what do you mean by not put on properly? its tight...no doubt...perhaps the brackets are placed upside down or something? or...?
Old 10-17-2000, 09:27 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

My rear strut are toast. I can easily push the rear down and it returns with a little bouncy bounce. It got really bad, really fast. My fronts are a little soft, but not remotely close to the rears. The front struts are truely struts and should last a little longer. We'll see how she handles when I install the new rear struts this weekend.

Dave
Old 10-19-2000, 04:06 PM

found out reason for creaking RSB!

I had my car flat on the ground...and placed my finger on the inner side (side facing into the car / not side facing out towards you) of the Stillen RSB on the right side (passenger side) you can feel that there is no gap between the factory B-pipe encased in the head shield material and the bolt on the fastener.

guess I'll have to deal with the rear suspension noise for now till I get a b-pipe made / from courtesy!...then hopefully the annoying creaking noise goes...! doubt / hopefully its not my shocks going bad?!

hope this helps all those with creaking RSB esp on the right side (passenger side)

rgds
Old 10-19-2000, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by tclee
found out reason for creaking RSB!

I had my car flat on the ground...and placed my finger on the inner side (side facing into the car / not side facing out towards you) of the Stillen RSB on the right side (passenger side) you can feel that there is no gap between the factory B-pipe encased in the head shield material and the bolt on the fastener.

guess I'll have to deal with the rear suspension noise for now till I get a b-pipe made / from courtesy!...then hopefully the annoying creaking noise goes...! doubt / hopefully its not my shocks going bad?!

hope this helps all those with creaking RSB esp on the right side (passenger side)

rgds
Couldn't you just adjust the bar backwards/forwards? Just taking a stab here.
Old 10-19-2000, 04:42 PM

think the idea is to have the bar (the long horizontal bit) sit directly under the factory beam. if you move it either forwards or backwards, it kinda defeats the purpose of having a sway bar (read it somewhere) anyways, think the rubbing is occurring at the passenger side fastener...rubbing against the heat shield of the b-pipe!

Old 10-20-2000, 03:44 AM

RSB

By moving the RSB forward or backward , you adjust it. And make sure it's not hitting anythng close to the trailing armand the under body of your max. I had that problem and whenever i hit a bump there was a thumping noise.