General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Fuel Pump for S/Ced Maximas??

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2001, 04:36 PM

I'm looking at the high pressure 255lph pumps. Walbro and Holley make them. Is it true that the Mitsu Eclipse turbo ones fit exactly? I want to get the holley one from Summit racing. Thanks guys
Old 07-04-2001, 05:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Screaminfast
I'm looking at the high pressure 255lph pumps. Walbro and Holley make them. Is it true that the Mitsu Eclipse turbo ones fit exactly? I want to get the holley one from Summit racing. Thanks guys
Walbro is the manufacturer for Holley and most other in tank pumps. I use a GSS342, it out flows the T-Rex boost pump. Most S/C racer types have wired the T-Rex pump to run all the time. So since I have the Walbro 255lph High Presure pump already installed I will not need to use the T-Rex or hobs switch/relay thing. All I will need will be the FMU.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:47 PM

Originally posted by MardiGrasMax

Walbro is the manufacturer for Holley and most other in tank pumps. I use a GSS342, it out flows the T-Rex boost pump. Most S/C racer types have wired the T-Rex pump to run all the time. So since I have the Walbro 255lph High Presure pump already installed I will not need to use the T-Rex or hobs switch/relay thing. All I will need will be the FMU.

Well, since I already have the FMU(It came with the Kit), I wont need one of those, and if I get one of the 255lph fuel pumps, I wont need to wire the Aux Fuel pump to be on all the time either. Where did you get your pump from? I can't find the walbro ones anywhere.
Old 07-04-2001, 05:53 PM

Well, since I already have the FMU(It came with the Kit), I wont need one of those, and if I get one of the 255lph fuel pumps, I wont need to wire the Aux Fuel pump to be on all the time either. Where did you get your pump from? I can't find the walbro ones anywhere.
You will need the FMU, not the HOBS pressure switch.

I got mine from www.forcedperformance.net it was ~120.00
Old 07-04-2001, 07:32 PM

this whole conversation is over my head. Which show how little I know about the fuel system. You guys are talking fmu and crap. Wish I could help out, but I'm the one who really needs help
Old 07-04-2001, 07:38 PM

You will need the FMU, not the HOBS pressure switch.

I got mine from www.forcedperformance.net it was ~120.00
Honestly, I'm almost positive I have one. Its blue. I also have a fuel pressure switch, which turns on the Aux fuel pump. The FMU rises the fuel pressure as the boost pressure increases, right? If so, I think I have one.
Old 07-04-2001, 07:44 PM

Honestly, I'm almost positive I have one. Its blue. I also have a fuel pressure switch, which turns on the Aux fuel pump. The FMU rises the fuel pressure as the boost pressure increases, right? If so, I think I have one.
OHHHH!!!! I missed what you meant. Yes the FMU is the blue roundish thing. I thought you meant that you thought you did not need to use it. I got ya.
Old 07-04-2001, 07:54 PM

OHHHH!!!! I missed what you meant. Yes the FMU is the blue roundish thing. I thought you meant that you thought you did not need to use it. I got ya.

Hahaha....Well, now, back to my original question...Can you tell me where you got your Fuel Pump? Also, do you know if they Holley for the Mitsu Eclipse's will work?

Thanks
Old 07-04-2001, 08:11 PM
Vic

It doesn't matter what brand of extra capacity fuel pump you use. The one that came with the supercharger is crap.
Word of advise, buy yourself a adjustable regulator and tune it.
Vic
Old 07-04-2001, 08:14 PM

Hahaha....Well, now, back to my original question...Can you tell me where you got your Fuel Pump? Also, do you know if they Holley for the Mitsu Eclipse's will work?

Thanks

Walbro GSS342 from www.forcedperformance.net , you will need to call them. You do not need an accessory pack because the factory parts will fit on the Walbro.

I dont know about the Holley, but I think the Walbro is used in DSM's
Old 07-04-2001, 09:34 PM

Originally posted by Vic
It doesn't matter what brand of extra capacity fuel pump you use. The one that came with the supercharger is crap.
Word of advise, buy yourself a adjustable regulator and tune it.
Vic
It most definetly does. Blown fuel pump on a s/ced Max could mean bye bye engine. Go with the best, get a stock 300ZX Twin turbo fuel pump..
Old 07-05-2001, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by Maximamike

It most definetly does. Blown fuel pump on a s/ced Max could mean bye bye engine. Go with the best, get a stock 300ZX Twin turbo fuel pump..
IMHO the Walbro is just as good as the 300tt. Ive had mine in for about a year and a half with no problems. Walbro is a major pump supplier to the aftermarket. Not to mention the walbro is ~120 and the 300tt is ~250 or more. Thye 300tt pump is not a direct fit either you must make modifications. The Walbro is an EXACT fit!!!
Old 07-05-2001, 11:17 AM

All is well....I bought the Walbro GSS342 for $110. I should be set....Easy install Mardigrasmax?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:22 AM

All is well....I bought the Walbro GSS342 for $110. I should be set....Easy install Mardigrasmax?

Thanks.
Yep, its cake, smelly cake, but its cake!

I have a write up at home, I'll post it tonight for you.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:27 AM

Yep, its cake, smelly cake, but its cake!

I have a write up at home, I'll post it tonight for you.

Sweet...Thanks a lot.
Old 07-05-2001, 11:55 AM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

The fuel pump install wasn't as easy as I thought. Few things to keep in mind.

1. Run your tank close to empty as possible. Sticking your hand into gasoline is no fun.

2. Pay special attention to which hose goes to which inlet/outlet inside the tank.

3. Pay attention to how the oem routing of the eletrical harness to the fuel pump. I had it wrong and it barely touched the fuel gauge level arm. My fuel gauge was all wacked.

4. Don't clamp down the hoses from the pump to the top plate at first. Close the top plate while the clamps are loose. This way it will give the hoses a chance to rotate into correct position. Lift it back up just enough to reach the clamps and move all of them into position. Don't force the top plate close. If you have to push hard, the hoses are kinked. This will cause the pump to be out of position inside the tank. This is EXTREMELY BAD. The pump will not be able to suck up gasoline when you are less than 1/8 of tank. This will cause low fuel pressure.

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2001, 04:19 PM

All good points above from Tony.

Here is my little write up.

You can do it your self. It is messy. I did it with out the help of a shop manual so it's pretty straightforward. This is as best as I can remember.

It is important that you get the fuel level under 1/8 of a tank.
Besides the new fuel pump you will need a new gas tank o-ring seal from the dealer.
Disconnect the battery!!!
Do this in a well ventilated area.
Wear eye protection to prevent splattered fuel from getting into your eyes.
Have a fire extinguisher near by.
Tell your chain-smoking friend to bugger off.
Cleanliness is important so be sure your hands are clean and the pump access area is free of debris and dirt.
This should be done after you car has sat over night so the fuel system pressure is released.
Take the gas cap off to release any pressure in the tank.
Pull out the back seat.
Remove the cover plate
Disconnect the two wire harnesses on the tank access plate.
Have some rags handy and remove the two hoses from the tank access plate. Gas may squirt out so have the rags ready. Be sure to mark the hoses so you can put them back on in the right spots.
Loosen the tank access plate and pull it up. The fuel level sender is attached to it so be careful when you pull it up, you will have to finesse it out, it will come but be gentile. There is also a hose attached to it, disconnect it. The power wire for the pump is also attached to it, disconnect it. The access plate and level sender should come out now.
Now look into the tank. You will see the pump holder, it's a round white plastic piece. Its snaps apart to release the pump. The top cover comes off, the bottom is attached to the fuel tank.
After the cover is off you must rotate the pump so the siphon bag comes out from under the bottom half of the pump holder. It should then come right out.
Swap all the parts from the old pump to the new pump.
Install it in the reverse order of removal, being sure to use the new tank o-ring seal.
Put the pump back in and reassemble/attach the fuel tank access port.
Wipe up any gas that may be laying around the tank access port.
Leave the cover plate an back seat loose. So you can be sure there are no fuel leaks their.
Pressurize the system and check for leaks.
No leaks? Good, put the cover plate and back seat back on.
Wash your hands several times, they will smell for a few days. You can tell people that the odor is the new Andretti Sport Cologne, "Super Unleaded"!!!
Old 07-05-2001, 05:16 PM

Thanks alot. I'll be printing this and using my Hayens manual. Hope to talk to you again soon. BTW, you have an AIM name? PM it to me if you dont want anyone else knowing...I just might have some last minute questions...thanks.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:26 PM

Thanks alot. I'll be printing this and using my Hayens manual. Hope to talk to you again soon. BTW, you have an AIM name? PM it to me if you dont want anyone else knowing...I just might have some last minute questions...thanks.
I dont do AIM or anything sorry, but PM me with questions
Old 07-05-2001, 09:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

Thanks!

I'll be using this bit o' info when mine comes in too