General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Is Nitrous Oxide illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 06:32 PM
DOM

After I bought the NOS kit from JC Whitney, everybody has been telling me that nitrous is illegal. Is it? I don't really care if it is or not, but I wanted to make sure before I get in trouble for having it.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:08 PM
Administrator

illegal for street use.. you are suppose to only use it on the track.. but who knows when you are using it huh?

Originally posted by DOM
After I bought the NOS kit from JC Whitney, everybody has been telling me that nitrous is illegal. Is it? I don't really care if it is or not, but I wanted to make sure before I get in trouble for having it.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:36 PM

Originally posted by SprintMax
.. but who knows when you are using it huh?

It seems like you are implying something! I dont want to be an A-S-S, but you shouldn't tell someone to do something that is illegal. If you have your own opinion, simply put it there. Otherwise, you are telling someone to break the law or telling him to risk a chance of getting caught.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:39 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

Cops will have to have a probable cause to search your trunk. If you get pulled over for traffic violation, they do not have the rights to search your trunk. If you are drunk, stone..etc, yes..then he can search your car. Whatever they find, they can use againest you.

Originally posted by DOM
Old 07-05-2001, 07:41 PM

.. but who knows when you are using it huh?

It seems like you are implying something! I dont want to be an A-S-S, but you shouldn't tell someone to do something that is illegal. If you have your own opinion, simply put it there. Otherwise, you are telling someone to break the law or telling him to risk a chance of getting caught.
Old 07-05-2001, 07:45 PM

Well.. in NJ its illegal to have it unless you have a permit. THey also will not refill your bottle unless you have a permit. At the local tracks, they will chec for permit as well. The permit allows me to have the bottle in my car, but i also must have a master switch to si cant activate it. Weither the bottl eis open or not should not matter. I got the permit for free. I had to go through the heatlh and something service.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:18 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

In California, you can have it in your car, as long as the line to the bottle is disconnected. I'm not sure about other states, even though I'm in WA now... Oh Well. People here have told me If your bottle is turned off, they shouldn't have a problem, unless you have a remote bottle opener, or are being busted for speeding, racing, etc... The Holley website might have a list of rules for each State, but I'm not sure.
Old 07-05-2001, 09:58 PM

I've been told so many different things,

varying from "If you get caught your car is impounded and you get a huge fine" to "All you can be charged with is carrying an explosive container", etc. I'd get someone who lives in your area to help find out the laws, because they really range depending on where you live. If it's legal, go for it. If it's considered really illegal, I wouldn't do it unless your ride's a total sleeper. After I put my kit on, I'm stopped 1-2x a week to cops, and searched at least every 2 weeks

Cops will really **** you around searchwise. They may not have the rights to search your ride, but if they do, and they find your NOS, you're going to be having to hire a lawyer to fight it in court on their illegal search. They don't have to hire ****. It's just more inconvience for you, but like I said. If it's legal in your area, hook it up!
Old 07-06-2001, 12:16 AM
DOM

Originally posted by LoveSick

Yeah! Hey SprintMAx, don't encourage me because I am a retarded 23 year old Maxima owner who can't make my own decisions. Not to be an A-S-S, but we should sell our cars because they can illegally go over the speed limit. Oh crap!! I already have a Y pipe and it's illegal in California. I am suing the org if I get caught because you guys encouraged me.
Why don't we have a grandpa advice section on this board so that if we have any questions about illegal mods and the dangers of street racing, and other obvious topics like 2+2=4.
Old 07-06-2001, 02:18 AM
Administrator

and THAT my friend is why LoveSick is on my ignore list
Originally posted by DOM

Yeah! Hey SprintMAx, don't encourage me because I am a retarded 23 year old Maxima owner who can't make my own decisions. Not to be an A-S-S, but we should sell our cars because they can illegally go over the speed limit. Oh crap!! I already have a Y pipe and it's illegal in California. I am suing the org if I get caught because you guys encouraged me.
Why don't we have a grandpa advice section on this board so that if we have any questions about illegal mods and the dangers of street racing, and other obvious topics like 2+2=4.
Old 07-06-2001, 06:04 PM
DOM

and THAT my friend is why LoveSick is on my ignore list
WORD!
Old 07-06-2001, 06:16 PM

here in oklahoma i ve been told by alot of people (i seriously doubt they know jack shiet anyways) that you can have in your car as long you dont use it.