General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Ticket Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 PM

Ticket Dilema

I live in Washington State and recently went down to Oregon to visit a buddy of mine. When I got back on the freeway when leaving I got pulled over and got a major ticket. I definatly can't afford it. Does anyone know exactly what happens if you don't pay an out of state ticket? I'd imagine you'd get a warrent there but if they pull you over in your home state will they arrest you for it?
Old 02-28-2007, 10:42 PM
Gotcha!

Originally Posted by Jon94SE
I live in Washington State and recently went down to Oregon to visit a buddy of mine. When I got back on the freeway when leaving I got pulled over and got a major ticket. I definatly can't afford it. Does anyone know exactly what happens if you don't pay an out of state ticket? I'd imagine you'd get a warrent there but if they pull you over in your home state will they arrest you for it?
1st of all, why risk being arrested because you failed to pay a ticket? 2nd, major ticket on freeway... wreckless endangerment/negligent driving?

Not trying to be an @ss, but... exactly what were you doing that was such a giant ticket?... double speed limit? guessing $1000 or so for something like that?
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 PM

If it's a major ticket, I think the long arm statute would be applied here for speeding, not completely sure though. This is where the out of state's jurisdiction may be carried over and decided in the defendant's state .
Old 03-01-2007, 12:11 AM
F---ing Kangaroos

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=481200

Old 03-01-2007, 04:32 AM
Don't you know who I am?

While I'm not from the state you speak of, so I cannot speak in any kind of certainty as I'm unfamiliar with what laws or law enforcement is practiced in that region, I do know some things do NOT follow across state lines. However, given proximity, it is likely that certain tickets will follow you across the lines. For example, if I get pulled over in Virgina, I highly doubt it would follow me back to my home state of Connecticut. However, if I get pulled over in Massachusetts, I do know that while I may not be forced to pay the ticket, I will be unable to renew my driver's license with an outstanding violation on my record in Massachusetts. However, these things will tend to depend on how serious they are. For a fine as large as your making it seem, it would appear likely that it would show up on your record if you get pulled over in Washington. That is just my opinion, not a researched fact though. So in conclusion:
Old 03-01-2007, 06:14 AM

Yeah, 87 in a 50 and supposedly following to closely which is BS. it's just over $1000.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:29 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Yeah, 87 in a 50 and supposedly following to closely which is BS. it's just over $1000.
I say your best bet is to spend $150 on a lawyer who can get the fine knocked down to 100-200 dollars. Look around for traffic lawyers.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:37 AM
platinum03SE

1k for a speeding ticket? wow

Old 03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by platinum03SE
1k for a speeding ticket? wow
I can see speeding, everyone does it.
But that god d^mn tailgating is just plain stupid and you deserve a ticket!

Do you realize how dangerous that is?
Old 03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by i30krab
I can see speeding, everyone does it.
But that god d^mn tailgating is just plain stupid and you deserve a ticket!

Do you realize how dangerous that is?
If you do 60 in the left lane, you're gonna get tailgated.

If you're tailgating doing 87mph... then on this.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:00 AM
I'm needing a caw

Lawyer up. But it's more like $250.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:06 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Lawyer up. But it's more like $250.
Wow, things change I guess.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
While I'm not from the state you speak of, so I cannot speak in any kind of certainty as I'm unfamiliar with what laws or law enforcement is practiced in that region, I do know some things do NOT follow across state lines. However, given proximity, it is likely that certain tickets will follow you across the lines. For example, if I get pulled over in Virgina, I highly doubt it would follow me back to my home state of Connecticut. However, if I get pulled over in Massachusetts, I do know that while I may not be forced to pay the ticket, I will be unable to renew my driver's license with an outstanding violation on my record in Massachusetts. However, these things will tend to depend on how serious they are. For a fine as large as your making it seem, it would appear likely that it would show up on your record if you get pulled over in Washington. That is just my opinion, not a researched fact though. So in conclusion:

I KNOW FOR A FACT that here in new jersey they import the points off any state . I say this besause i got two speeding tickets . one in Virginia and the other in South Carolina . Two points for each offence even though they were a 4 point ticket (90 on 65) New jersey SUX.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:41 PM

no no, I know better than to tailgate someone at that kind of speed. This was the deal. I was just on the entrance to I-5, it's about a 5:45am and I just worked it through third and was going to pass the person in front of me because it was open road after them. Another car had just moved into the lane I needed to switch to so I just let off to slow down. I got down to about 70 or 75 and was waiting for a chance to get through when all of the sudden red and blue's behind me. apparently he said he paced me going 90 which he would drop to 87 on the ticket. I never saw him behind me but I do have 5% tint so it's tough to see in the dark although I usually know the cop headlights. Oh well.. sounds like a lawyer's the way to go.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:41 PM

I got nabbed in a speed zone at the end of the highway for going 71 in a 40mph and I LUCKILY got 150$ fine and 3 months supervision so consequnce may not be that bad if it's your first offense. Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2007, 02:31 PM

I once got pulled over going 93 in a 65, in a company truck... it was out of the city limits on US 54
<--that was me doing it to myself.
I was in a 99 Ford F-350 diesel, going the speed limit but very bored and this local news cast vehicle passes by me fast, so I figured I would catch up and follow him up until the check point up ahead (figured they had a radar going that fast)-- And then out of nowhere
\!\ /!/ coming from the opposite direction!

I was Sh***ng bricks cuz I knew there was a possibilty of me going to jail. They did stop both of us, gave us a ticket, and then let us go.

This was about 6 yrs ago, and I remember the fine being around the 300.00 area... it was in New Mexico
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah, I should've known better that's for sure, the police have been out in full force as of late. I'm just mad because I don't want to sell the max over this.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:21 PM

You might want to look into it and see if your state offers payment options... I know here in Texas, you can arrange to pay a certain amount per week or month. Check your options before going to that extreme of selling your MAxx.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Droppin logs

In Oregon your suspension would carry over and the first time you get pulled over you'll get your car impounded. Believe me, not a fun experience...
Old 03-01-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by D-Bo
In Oregon your suspension would carry over and the first time you get pulled over you'll get your car impounded. Believe me, not a fun experience...
Your avatar looks like Jerome Biggums on steriods!
Old 03-01-2007, 06:17 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I was just on the entrance to I-5, .........was going to pass the person in front of me because it was open road after them..........all of the sudden red and blue's behind me. apparently he said he paced me going 90..............
Two words of advise.
SLOW DOWN
You deserved that ticket big time.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:22 PM
M&M

I got pulled over doing 90 in a 55 and failure to signal. Went to court talked to the DA and got it reduced to a 70 in 55 and the other ticket dropped. Fine was 120 bucks and 2 points. That was a couple of years ago.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:49 PM

you probably were targeted during the recent crackdown on freeway tailgaters. good you weren't going 100+ or they would have taken your car license and taken you to jail. how about trading your car for my 115k mile vg plus a little cash to get the ticket paid off?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:53 PM

Definitely talk to the solicitor. Friend in GA went 90 in a 55 in NC. He talked to the solicitor and had to take a defensive driving class which cost around $80 and got his ticket reduced to 70 in a 55. I got pulled over for going 38 in a 25 talked to the solicitor and got my ticket reduced to "too fast for conditions" which means you just have to pay the fine. I also had to take a defensive driving class. This was in Duluth also.(Most notorious police department in Gwinnett, maybe Georgia) for handing out traffic tickets. "F*** the police" as rapped by the great Doctor
Old 03-02-2007, 03:45 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by njmaxseltd
Two words of advise.
SLOW DOWN
You deserved that ticket big time.
While in general I tend to agree with this, there are some circumstances in which we may not understand why it is reasonable to travel at this speed. On I-84 in Connecticut from Farmington through Hartford, the speed limit is 55 mph and at some points 50 mph. During certain parts of the day, driving 55-65 mph on that highway could get you killed. Traffic (in all 3 lanes) will be moving at 75-80 mph typically. On fast days, even 80-90 mph. Then when the state wants to make some cash, they'll just throw cops out there for a day, fill the quotas. It was this interstate that made me wonder whether or not towns/cities/states/municipalities have a certain road they intentionally mark the speed limit ridiculously low on that they know nobody will follow, just so on they can generate revenue one day a month.

A ridiculous notion really, but I couldn't help but to wonder.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
While in general I tend to agree with this, there are some circumstances in which we may not understand why it is reasonable to travel at this speed. On I-84 in Connecticut from Farmington through Hartford, the speed limit is 55 mph and at some points 50 mph. During certain parts of the day, driving 55-65 mph on that highway could get you killed. Traffic (in all 3 lanes) will be moving at 75-80 mph typically. On fast days, even 80-90 mph. Then when the state wants to make some cash, they'll just throw cops out there for a day, fill the quotas. It was this interstate that made me wonder whether or not towns/cities/states/municipalities have a certain road they intentionally mark the speed limit ridiculously low on that they know nobody will follow, just so on they can generate revenue one day a month.

A ridiculous notion really, but I couldn't help but to wonder.
Heh, It's the exact same on I-84 over here running through Portland. Freeway is built like a racetrack but the speed limit is 55. Makes no sense at all, the flow of traffic is rarely 55 and when it is, people start swerving trying to jump ahead of the pack. Or maybe it's just me
Old 03-02-2007, 06:52 AM

I've definatly noticed the more south you go the faster folks expect you to drive. When I got down to Oregon I was going about 75 which is usually excessive up here and I was getting passed up like you wouldn't believe, tailgated ect.
Old 03-04-2007, 09:47 PM

Last summer i got a ticket for 94 in a 45.... that really sucked.

So i've been takin it real easy. For the past 5 months ive been at college in upstate NY and was hardly driving at all. last weekend me and a few buddies road tripped it down to NYC down I-87. We were crusing pretty good around 75-85 and the limit was 65. There really wasn't a lot of traffic though. Come up to one slight bend in the road and decide to pass a van instead of slowing down for the curve and boom... as soon as i get into the turn i see the trooper jump around in his seat and lights go on. Only reason I got the ticket was because i was in the passing lane. he got me doing 81 in a 65... i'm praying points dont carry over from NY to MD.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:17 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by descent
Last summer i got a ticket for 94 in a 45.... that really sucked.

So i've been takin it real easy. For the past 5 months ive been at college in upstate NY and was hardly driving at all. last weekend me and a few buddies road tripped it down to NYC down I-87. We were crusing pretty good around 75-85 and the limit was 65. There really wasn't a lot of traffic though. Come up to one slight bend in the road and decide to pass a van instead of slowing down for the curve and boom... as soon as i get into the turn i see the trooper jump around in his seat and lights go on. Only reason I got the ticket was because i was in the passing lane. he got me doing 81 in a 65... i'm praying points dont carry over from NY to MD.
I know at least for CT that out-of-state speeding tickets are cash-only. The state my track if you have outstanding speeding tickets, but they don't officially go on your record. You simply can't renew your license if you have them outstanding.