General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What would make the VQ more refined?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
Wasn't the entire point of this thread the fact that the VQ is not refined, and one of the complaints vibration? My 98 SE is smoother than my 335 at idle, and much quieter. That changes altogether above 2000 rpm. The VQ is a mess at 4500 rpm. And yes, the latter is a I6. But at the end of the day, the VQ is a fine motor for a car in the 20k range. Where it falls short is when it gets dropped into a 40k Infiniti. It's not all about 306 HP, it's how it's delivered.
See post #22.

In other words, this comparison says more about the fundamental flaws of a V6 than anything else. That doesn't mean the VQ lacks refinement necessarily. See the difference?

And the whole point of me saying this
And i dare you to find any V6 that is SUBSTANTIALLY smoother than a VQ30, balance shafts or not.
was that balance shafts were not necessary to have a relatively smooth-running V6.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 PM

well what then would make a VQ more refined above 4500rpm?

I don't care about the comparision between the BMW's I6. I presented this thread as a chance to brainstorm about ways Nissan can drive the VQ forward in ways besides HP.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

There's plenty that could make it smoother. The difficult part is making it smoother without robbing power or hurting throttle response. Those are not things that Mercedes cares as much about with their NA V6s, which is why they can have things like balance shafts. But Infiniti has to care about those things because they are competing with BMW (if somewhat indirectly).

The VQ35HR already has a lot of microfinished internals, very good internal balance, symmetrical intake and exhaust tracts, and some neat tricks to manage the forces acting on the moving parts. There really isn't much to do in those departments.

Continuously variable valve timing and lift, like BMW's VALVETRONIC, could help, but that would be more difficult to implement on the VQ and would add quite a bit of valvetrain mass.

So really, that just leaves:

1. Continuously variable intake runner length (à la BMW).
2. Direct injection.
3. Elimination of mechanical accessories (water pump, oil pump, etc.) in favor of electrical ones (again, à la BMW).
Old 03-14-2007, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d
1. Continuously variable intake runner length (à la BMW).
2. Direct injection.
3. Elimination of mechanical accessories (water pump, oil pump, etc.) in favor of electrical ones (again, à la BMW).
These would just affect power delivery, not mechanical roughness.

Unless they can point at anything other than the fact that the HR isn't as smooth as an inline-6 to base the refinement argument on, i don't buy it.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:04 PM

regardless, there aren't many people I know that would take an N53 over a VQ35HR. If you would rather that, then you obviously care more about your car being a cream puff and comfortable than sporty. I loved the feel of the engine through the shifter in my stepmom's B6 Audi A4. It created a more connected feel and like someone mentioned before, I could almost tell where to shift just by the feel (which gave even more indication than sound). The VQ35 is refined enough for a V6. I always get compliments on how smooth mine is, even at higher RPMs
Old 03-14-2007, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
The VQ35 is refined enough for a V6.
Damn right.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 PM
Lightly modded

There's plenty that could make it smoother.
Yeah, make it a 3.0 again
Old 03-15-2007, 03:53 PM

regardless, there aren't many people I know that would take an N53 over a VQ35HR. If you would rather that, then you obviously care more about your car being a cream puff and comfortable than sporty. I loved the feel of the engine through the shifter in my stepmom's B6 Audi A4. It created a more connected feel and like someone mentioned before, I could almost tell where to shift just by the feel (which gave even more indication than sound). The VQ35 is refined enough for a V6. I always get compliments on how smooth mine is, even at higher RPMs
I sure would, because there are many drivers (probably myself included) who don't need a 335, and they'd be perfectly happy with a 328. When I took one as a loaner, I could clearly feel that it does not drive like a Japanese car. Hey, some like the smooth drive at the expense of road feel and performance, nothing wrong with it. It's a matter of what you want. And some here have already stated the VQ is refined enough--again, I totally agree up to the high 20k range. But over 30k, it needs to go back to the shop.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
I sure would, because there are many drivers (probably myself included) who don't need a 335, and they'd be perfectly happy with a 328. When I took one as a loaner, I could clearly feel that it does not drive like a Japanese car. Hey, some like the smooth drive at the expense of road feel and performance, nothing wrong with it. It's a matter of what you want. And some here have already stated the VQ is refined enough--again, I totally agree up to the high 20k range. But over 30k, it needs to go back to the shop.
Didn't you get a 335? Why would you spend so much money over the 328 if you were content with it? Either way, it's all personal opinion IMO and you cannot go and say one is better than the other. That's nearly as bad as saying one looks better. I happen to think the VQ35 is an excellent engine and it's refined enough to suit a sporty entry level sedan (and coupe) for infiniti.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:04 PM
Father of the 00 VI

what is better is a opineon.

I WANT to feel the HP and the engine growling through the chassis like a wild lion . that is BETTER to me .i do not want a car that seperates this from me.and yes even in a luxery car i would want this.
i dont want a overly sound dampened car, if nissan made a ls7 type engine for the g35 would you want to totally silence it and take its character away? i think not.
i think same with the VQ's , i think there a work of art.

if i ever get the need for such a boring ,lifeless connection between man and machine . i will buy a buick century and save 25-30 k
Old 03-17-2007, 02:14 PM

Didn't you get a 335? Why would you spend so much money over the 328 if you were content with it?
I'd be (and am) perfectly happy with a Maxima. Does that mean I wouldn't get an M3 if I could comfortably afford it?

Anyway I'm curious as to which of the butthurt guys has actually driven an E90. They're priced more for the same amount of power for a reason.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
what is better is a opineon.

I WANT to feel the HP and the engine growling through the chassis like a wild lion . that is BETTER to me .i do not want a car that seperates this from me.and yes even in a luxery car i would want this.
i dont want a overly sound dampened car, if nissan made a ls7 type engine for the g35 would you want to totally silence it and take its character away? i think not.
i think same with the VQ's , i think there a work of art.

if i ever get the need for such a boring ,lifeless connection between man and machine . i will buy a buick century and save 25-30 k
could not have said it better
Old 03-18-2007, 02:37 PM
brotherhood of tq

there have been alot of good points made in this thread, but what seems to be forgotten is that when the majority of buyers that have 20-30k to spend on a car they are willing to put up with certain things that would make a g35 shine. in that price range its a great car that people die for...

but when u start going into 30k+ then those buyers still want to have a great feel with the road, power when they need it and a very well built interior. that is the issue infiniti has and they have made a good leap with the new g35 but it still has a while to go to be choosen by someone that can afford the mb/bmw/audi/lexus of their choice...and to do that they need to make a driver feel like they got more car for their money not like they just have a car that is quick enough and they overspend on other things such as comfort and road feel.

and trying to compare a g35 to a 328 or something is a mute point since most people that would buy a g35 for its performance but is thinking of buying a bmw would just try to get into a bmw with a larger motor. the % or people buying a car to beat on it like many of us do is very slim and thats why bmw makes a m3 and mb makes a c55 and audi their s4/rs4 for people that car enough about having a performance based vehicle.

but if you cant afford something then you need to buy a car in you financial bracket and be happy wit that....but that doesnt make your car better overall then another car since you cant afford it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

^^
Old 03-19-2007, 01:04 AM

^^

agree with above