General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Double clutching?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2001, 01:05 PM

Just curious to know what that means. Can anyone explain it to me? Thanks.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:06 PM

Step on clutch, put in neutral, bring revs up, step on clutch, shift to next gear.
Old 07-08-2001, 01:07 PM

it means push the clutch in to get out of gear, let of then push it again to go back into gear, and if you are realating this to the movie the Fast & Furious, I don't see how that would help anyone shift faster
Old 07-08-2001, 01:09 PM

Thanks for explanation fellas. I thought that was what it was but wasn't sure because like GTRBLkmax97 said how would that make you faster? Just because the revs are higher?
Old 07-08-2001, 01:34 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I tried double clutching on down shifts, and think it makes a difference. I think it goes into gear a bit smoother.
Old 07-08-2001, 08:09 PM

It doesn't make you any faster since it takes more time than power-shifting.

Double clutching is for cars that were made before most of us were born when they used straight-cut gears. Current vehicles use helical-cut gears with synchros so speed matching is as important.
Old 07-08-2001, 09:08 PM

So what exactly is power shifting?
Old 07-08-2001, 09:27 PM

today my friend showed me powershifting for the first time in his 200sx se-r. i couldn't believe he was shifting without the clutch and wasn't grinding! but he could only do it when his rpms weren't too high and he wasn't shifting that aggressively. when he tried to take the rpms up and shift fast, it would grind. is there a specific way to powershift while racing?
Old 07-08-2001, 11:48 PM

Double clutching upshifts is pointless with today's transmissions. Our synchro's do the work faster than we could manually do the rev matching. However, for downshifts you can get a much faster, quicker, snappier shift by double clutching. Also, it helps your snychros last longer.
Old 07-09-2001, 12:26 AM

has anyone ever gotten their pedals just perfect for "easy" heel and toe shifts? i match rev downshift all the time..but spontaneous and quick turning requires heel and toe shifting also involving matching revs. my father's WRX has pedals just perfect for this. i, however, find that the maxima's gas pedal is positioned too low in relation to the brake pedal. i'd like to put a shim to raise it about an inch an a half in addition to putting alloy racing pedals that are wider in shape. can anyone help me out??
ps. maybe i'll try double clutching again while on the downshifts..if it will save the synchros from a little abuse.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:20 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The only need for it now a days is only if you drive a Class A or B truck over 35,000 pounds.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by SoLid97SE
today my friend showed me powershifting for the first time in his 200sx se-r. i couldn't believe he was shifting without the clutch and wasn't grinding! but he could only do it when his rpms weren't too high and he wasn't shifting that aggressively. when he tried to take the rpms up and shift fast, it would grind. is there a specific way to powershift while racing?
tha'ts not really powershifting.. that's more like shifting but being hella lazy.. i used to do it alot when i drove a 5spd.. but for higher rpms u gotta find the right rpm to shift in n out of gear. i found 5400rpm on the crx a good time to shift. some dragsters grind every other teeth on the gears of their transmissons half way down so they can get into gear a lil easier.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:17 AM

If you double clutch you can put it into 1st gear at higher speeds very easily

say your in 3rd at 30 miles per hour
push in clutch
put stick into neutral
release clutch
step on accelerator to rev engine
step on clutch
push into 1st

it should just pop in

Wahla!! You just put it into 1st at 30 mph
Old 07-10-2001, 01:21 AM
Former Sponsor

yea double clutchin is a lost art... my dad talks about it when he used to drive trucks in the 40s and 50s...
as everyone said b4 modern trannys have syncro-mesh gearing that eliminates it... alota people say it makes a difference but i just dont see how it would...
Old 07-10-2001, 04:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by carnal_c30
yea double clutchin is a lost art... my dad talks about it when he used to drive trucks in the 40s and 50s...
as everyone said b4 modern trannys have syncro-mesh gearing that eliminates it... alota people say it makes a difference but i just dont see how it would...
Your Pops is right. To do this in a car is a waste of time and energy. As your Pops if he ever used to shift without clutching when sycromesh was adopted into trucks. I had a trucker show me how to do it.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:20 AM

Double Clutching (By Driving, Road Racing standards):
Purpose - To reduce wear on transmission components; To ease downshifts/upshifts.

1. while decelerating, push the clutch in.
2. put the shifter into neutral
3. let the clutch out.
4. push the clutch in.
5. select the next lowest gear.
6. rev the engine to match the next gear's RPM (rev-match)
7. let the clutch out.

This can also be done on upshifts.

Double Clutching (By silly street racers/drag racers):
Purpose - To forever destroy your transmission. To improve acceleration.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your idiocy if you choose to follow this method of what i call Moronic Double Clutching (MDC). You will potentially destroy your transmission shifter forks, gears, intermediate shaft, clutch, pressure plate, release fork, etc. Don't bother doing it unless you are renting a car or driving someone's car who you don't like.

1. while accelerating in either 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd, push the clutch in.
2. while still on the throttle, quickly let the clutch out.
(The above should be done in a split second, no pause)
Old 07-10-2001, 08:09 PM

Double Clutching (By silly street racers/drag racers):
Purpose - To forever destroy your transmission. To improve acceleration.
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for your idiocy if you choose to follow this method of what i call Moronic Double Clutching (MDC). You will potentially destroy your transmission shifter forks, gears, intermediate shaft, clutch, pressure plate, release fork, etc. Don't bother doing it unless you are renting a car or driving someone's car who you don't like.

1. while accelerating in either 1st, 2nd, and possibly 3rd, push the clutch in.
2. while still on the throttle, quickly let the clutch out.
(The above should be done in a split second, no pause) [/B][/QUOTE]

You do the moronic version while upshifting during fast acceleration?
Old 07-10-2001, 10:46 PM

i don't understand..the only time i double clutch is during the downshift. however, it still seems like a lot of time can be wasted double clutching the downshift when all you have to do is match rev..will this really save the synchros on our fully synchronized transmissions? i just want to know the best way to hustle a maxima around the tight twisties.
Old 07-10-2001, 10:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by deezo

Your Pops is right. To do this in a car is a waste of time and energy. As your Pops if he ever used to shift without clutching when sycromesh was adopted into trucks. I had a trucker show me how to do it.
yea well i'll ask him next time i talk to him haha... all i know is he used to drive the old WWII White trucks ll the heavy duty trucks... haha when he was like 13yrs old... pretty hardcore
Old 07-11-2001, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by budha56
You do the moronic version while upshifting during fast acceleration?
To answer your question, no, i don't double clutch upshifting. But, i think you're misunderstanding what I wrote??

About wasting time with DCing while downshifting?... you probably will lose a 1second of travel time by doing this. It's DEFINITELY better to Rev match in a race situation...it's even better to heel-and-toe into a turn...
Old 07-11-2001, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by SCCA Solo2

To answer your question, no, i don't double clutch upshifting. But, i think you're misunderstanding what I wrote??

About wasting time with DCing while downshifting?... you probably will lose a 1second of travel time by doing this. It's DEFINITELY better to Rev match in a race situation...it's even better to heel-and-toe into a turn...
do you have racing pedals on your car? on my 97 the gas is too low i'd like it raised by an inch to make it easier to heel and toe.
Old 07-11-2001, 10:07 AM

to fix the pedal height difference, you can mount a small block of wood shaved to the countour of the original pedal, then mount the aftermarket pedal cover over the wood. i've seen alot of people do this and it seems to work, i don't find it unsafe to do since it's just the gas pedal.
Old 07-11-2001, 12:21 PM

powershifting is leavin the acc. floored while you shift, never leaving off the throttle. your car has a rev limiter so no worries just hope the clutch can handle it.
Old 07-11-2001, 01:10 PM

Ya, A true powershift:

Floor it in first. When you are ready to shift: Hold accelerator on the floor, push clutch all the way in (very quickly), move shifter to second (very quickly), dump the clutch (ie move foot to the side and let it spring back, do not walk it out), keep accelerator pinned to the floor. Repeat for 2-3, 3-4, 4-5. Congratulations, you're destroying your clutch!!!

But, unfortunately, done correctly, there really isn't a faster way to accelerate, or a faster way to kill a tranny.