General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Car Body parts: Replacement Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 AM

Car Body parts: Replacement Question

Recently got into a fender bender. Seeing as my ride is a 97 and has 240 + on it, the insurance company wants to total it out as I figured they would….

Im considering keeping the car and fixing it myself with the money they give me. The right side fender is ate up, and the shock on that side is bent.

Im considering buying and installing these parts myself. I've done suspension before, so no problem there, however I've never attempted removing or installing car body parts. Can anyone tell me if this is something a DIY mechanic can, or probably better stated "should" consider taking on? Anyone done It before?

Your input/comments are appreciated!

Capitone
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 AM
What's next!?..

I believe it's just bolts holding the fender onto the car. Should be easy enough to remove and replace.

Only thing I'd be concerned with is getting the paint to match the rest of the car.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 PM

Anyone with any mechanical skills can replace a fender. It is just bolted on. Simple. Then take it to a body shop and they can paint it to match for a few hundred.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:00 AM

I guess I'll give it shot. Worse case scenario is that I'll have to have a shop put the panels on, but should still save money buying the parts myself. Most shops qouted me roughly $150 for a fender I could get CPA certified at $85.

Anyone feel $250 to paint a fender is too much?
Old 04-03-2007, 06:45 PM

i dont think its that much. i was quoted 300 for a bumper (shape was perfect, but surface finish was in bad shape). Unless the fender has a really bad finish on it, i think maybe getting the whole car painted would be just the same, and it'll cost about that much too. not sure why it costs about the same for the whole car (referencing those $195 or $295 deals from maaco, but i could be wrong; never gotten these paint jobs).

you can get a fender for cheaper at junk yards but they're finish might not be too great (like the bumper i got quoted on, had to swap it out cuz of an accident). if you do get one from junk yard u can easily repaint it to get the finish right. then you can prob just get ur whole car repainted for the same price.

I had personally painted my own trunk (sanded off stock paint and then trial and error for a few weeks) so it can be done w/ a roller (just google rustoleum and roller painting). i got mines to match fairly close, but trunk door is pretty easy to match since its not directly connected to the rest of the car. also because its black its easier.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:10 AM

Whuts up DoughBoy

Thanks for info. I did consider painting myself, but Im way to chicken to take it on, so I opted to stick with installing the panels only.

Update: I got some awesome prices for panel parts at carparts. So good in fact, I’ve opted to not only fix the fender, but previous damage to the other fender and front bumper as well. Got all the parts, plus a corner lamp for under 270 Shipped! Check it out:

Fender:
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw...epcat=true&s=1

Bumper:
http://www.carpartswholesale.com/cpw...epcat=true&s=1

Shopped around a little more for painting services and found a local shop that’ll do all three parts for $450. Im willing to take the chance with em as the pitting on my front end was pretty bad, so I think anything would be better than it used to be.

This little collision inconvenience may turn out to be a sweet opportunity to get Maxeene back in shape cosmetically. I got the parts, a whole set of KYB GR2 struts/shocks, replaced my K&N cone filter with a new one and priced an alignment for less than $70 at Pepboy.

All of this is coming out to almost $80 LESS than the Collision shop quoted me to just fix the strut and fender! (considered doing this when the Insur company totaled the car out)

Aside from a little work on my part, this coming along rather nicely.

Capitone