General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What bothers you on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by VIP Maxima
my car.........

the fact that i get 15mpg
the fact that the car does 19 sec down the 1/4
the fact that my brakes are worthless
the fact that i have to crawl over everything and anything
the fact that my turning radius is bigger than a semi cuz i cant turn the wheels all the way thanks to a stupid drop
the fact that a hummer doing 60 mph on a desert with blown shocks is more comfortable than my car
the fact that after multiple alignments, i have to fight the steering wheel to go straight.
the fact that i get pulled over out of no where as soon as i get on a main street

yes i am getting old and i want a new car.
you didn't mention axles...
Old 04-15-2007, 01:53 PM

1. Idiots that bash on old people. I mean come on man, lets face it, we're gonna be old sooner or later at which case our response time will be significantly much slower..
I'd like to see those same idiots bash on old people when they're one of those elderly people later on..
My dad is almost 70 and he definitely doesn't drive the way he used to, say when I was in grade school. Just last month he gave me a lift to the shop to pick up my car and along the way, some a..hole starts honking because he was driving the limit. Calm the F..k down, man.

2. People who don't criticize themselves before critizing others. If you don't signal when not making the left turn, you better not be complaining about others. If you're drifting lanes and then come on this thread and start b..tching about it, then STFU.

3. Cops that abuse their authority. enough said. And people who bash cops. For every person that is ticketed for going 10 over the limit, I'm sure they've ran stop signs, red lights or raced someone on an open freeway without getting caught. I know I've gotten away for things I should've gotten ticketed for, but there's more people than cops that's just the way it is.

4. Pedestrians who cross the road and take their sweet *** time who even slow down even more knowing that drivers are yielding to them.

My .02. No harm intended..=P
Old 04-15-2007, 02:03 PM

.....n/m.....
Old 04-15-2007, 04:30 PM
♠♠♠♠♠

ironically though, 'forcing' the dude who wants to go 90, to slow down is probably putting your life in more danger than just letting him go by. Road rage is a scary thing.

Left lane isn't designated for people 'going over the limit'. It's a passing lane. Unless youre passing everyone because of your high rate of speed, there's no reason to be staying on the left anyway?
Old 04-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This law/etiquette will never be outlawed because it serves a functional and logical purpose on the roads. On a 2 lane highway going up a hill thats why they add an extra lane and sign that says "slower traffic keep right." Its also why on highways/interstates in cities they sometimes have a "no trucks in left lane" law. Bigger vehicles cant go as fast, it has nothing to do w/ speeding.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by normkit108
1. Idiots that bash on old people. I mean come on man, lets face it, we're gonna be old sooner or later at which case our response time will be significantly much slower..
I'd like to see those same idiots bash on old people when they're one of those elderly people later on..
My dad is almost 70 and he definitely doesn't drive the way he used to, say when I was in grade school. Just last month he gave me a lift to the shop to pick up my car and along the way, some a..hole starts honking because he was driving the limit. Calm the F..k down, man.

Funny thing about that is my grandpa who is 75 bashes other old people who can't drive lol. Not openly just to himself or to whoever is in the car with him. Fortunately he is one of the few old people who still drives like a younger person.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:12 PM

I don't like it when there are other cars on the road
Old 04-15-2007, 09:31 PM

Last week I was driving home on a 55 mph highway from college and this girl directly front of me was acting very strangely...

At the first red light we hit she was in two lanes, with half of her car in the left lane, and half in the right... Ok, innocent mistake.

Next light we hit she doesn't brake hard enough and goes halfway into the intersection, so she puts it in reverse and backs up a couple of feet.

And here's where it gets interesting. We're doing highway speeds, probably about 60, and she starts to slow down, eventually coming to a complete stop, with me behind her. Something is not right though, oh that's right, it's a friggin GREEN LIGHT! She randomly comes to a complete stop AT A GREEN LIGHT on a 55 mph highway! Ahead of her is a strip of empty highway! At this point I'm scared to death of being rear ended but luckily the cars behind me were pretty far away. So anyway, I lay on the horn and she realizes her stupidity and gasses it. As I pass her I notice that indeed, she is on her cell phone!

So yeah, cell phones **** me off, not just while driving, but in general. People are so attached to them that they completely forget about everyone around them.

Another note I would like to make... I just started driving my first manual transmission car less than two months ago. I've noticed that with a manual transmission car, you notice other drivers mistakes so much more, and you tend to get pissed off so much more... Most likely because I'm a new manual driver and it's stressful enough getting the hang of it, but when people refuse to accelerate or panic stop or cut you off or do anything else stupid, responding quickly and confidently is much tougher than with an automatic car. For example, I'm approaching an acceleration ramp onto a highway, I'm winding out 2nd gear getting ready to go into third and the driver in front of me decides to stop. ON AN ACCELERATION RAMP! Are you kidding me??? There's a good 100+ feet to get up to highway speeds and you need to come to a stop just so you can merge into that HUGE clearing? It wasn't even rush hour traffic... Damn that pisses me off, and it has happened multiple times in the past two weeks!

Then you have the guy who drives 40mph in the fast lane on a 55 mph highway, and by the time you decide to pass him everyone else behind you has the same idea and guns it, trapping you behind the slow guy!

And it all boils down to license requirements in America being a joke, a friggin Chimpanzee could probably get a license here!
Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 PM

For the record I never complained about police in general, I complained about police sitting on the side of the road doing radar checks. I believe that police do a underappreciated very important job. Police doing radar checks is nothing more than revenue, it is not about safety or enforcing the law, it is another form of taxation. It is not the officers fault, he/she is only doing what they are told, it is the legislature that requires the police to perform this task rather than the non-revenue increasing tasks of arresting criminals.

Of course if morons wouldn't insist on driving recklessly at speeds well over the limit, maybe the powers that be would back off a little?
Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 AM
BARF

Originally Posted by swatspyder
revs... what happens if there is a line of cars that are stopped to merge into??? run into them? haha
Its close everytime LOL.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:42 AM
BARF

Originally Posted by The Law
Very true.

There are also them nappy headed hoes.
LMAO...
Old 04-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by CoolMax
I agree with you...good thing you're realizing that at a young age.
Thank you. I have always respected my elders. Growing up/getting taught the right way, parents need to enforce respect especially with all the youngn's now a days, they have no respect what so ever.

Originally Posted by Revs2Hard
LMAO...
Gotta get some laughs once in a while.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by MaximaSpd85
i just looked up the law in my state and it states that i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast everyone else is going, so thats invalid. maybe in your state it'll **** more people off, but everywhere else...nu-uh, if im already going 10 over, which i could get ticketed for already, im not going to go 15 over to please the person behind me.

and obviously if i was on the autobahn, which im not, there would be different rules im assuming.

Please see:
North Carolina General Statutes Annotated
Chapter 20: Motor Vehicles
Article 3: Motor Vehicle Act of 1937
Part 10: Operation of Motor Vehicles and Rules of the Road
Section 20-146. Drive on right side of highway; exceptions

Subsection e:

"Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, when appropriate signs have been posted, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle over and upon the inside lane, next to the median of any dual-lane highway at a speed less than the posted speed limit when the operation of said motor vehicle over and upon said inside lane shall impede the steady flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn."

I suppose it is also important to note that the scenario in which you described is not a ticketable offense, because you were not operating your vehicle at or under the posted speed limit.

However, the statement I quoted goes to show that you indeed did little or no research on the laws of traffic lanes in your state, because chapter 20 of NCGSA is absolutley littered with traffic lane sections and subsections in article 3; furthermore the general statutes of ANY and ALL states are written to describe prohibited behavior, not to describe acceptable behavior. For example, you will never a see a subsection that says "i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast everyone else is going", rather you would only find the absence of a statute prohibiting driving in certain lanes at certain times in certain circumstances. However, this is not the case here, obviously.

Be safe, be curtious.

On a personal sidenote, I would like to add that when you are presented in this scenario:

2. when im in the fast lane already going over the speed limit and someone wants to get behind me and flash me because they want to go faster.
perhaps it would be more beneficial to all involved to take this stance on such behavior:
"I'm going over the speed limit, I could get a ticket. This @asshat behind me wants to go EVEN faster? What a moron. I'm going to pull over to the right, let him pass, and let any traffic enforcement up ahead spot THIS guy first, and let HIM get the stinkin ticket instead of me. Afterall, he deserves it more."
Old 04-16-2007, 05:16 PM
is invisible

red light runners
Old 04-16-2007, 05:21 PM
is invisible

middle-aged (most drivers, and seemingly the most responsible) scare me...they are the ones that are always in a rush...running red lights, stop signs, driveways, parking lots, etc.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:22 PM
I R The Law

When people stay on the slow lane passing up the on-ramp and your trying to get on.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:48 PM

When people stay on the slow lane passing up the on-ramp and your trying to get on.
Amen to that. Let others merge.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:08 PM

people that have their turn signals on and they don't realize it, so when i try to merge into their lane, they start speeding up and start honking at them.

people that almost hit me, usually its always women
Old 04-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by maxguy07
people that have their turn signals on and they don't realize it
I hate that so bad. Its like you want to try and pass them but don't want to cause they might actually go into the next lane and smash into you.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:09 PM
is invisible

If they are pacing you then sure; but they have the right of way, you have the yield.
Moving over is the courteous thing to do, but not for the sake of impeding other traffic either.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

People who text while driving.
People who turn left the second the light turns green and cut off the person going straight.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:26 PM

[QUOTE=Rydicule]

However, the statement I quoted goes to show that you indeed did little or no research on the laws of traffic lanes in your state
[QUOTE]

http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/index.asp

i did enough research to find this one...which states exactly what i posted. i should have rephrased my original comment as i dont like when people speed anywhere around me regardless of their lane

now that i read your post again, what exactly did you show me that my link doesnt show?? thats where i got my information, and i was just trying to reply to the guy who said it was a law that you cant use the left lane except for passing, which is not entirely true.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:58 AM
Don't you know who I am?

now that i read your post again, what exactly did you show me that my link doesnt show?? thats where i got my information, and i was just trying to reply to the guy who said it was a law that you cant use the left lane except for passing, which is not entirely true.
I suppose I should preface this by saying I responded only to the comment that I quoted before, I didn't read your scenario until after I did the research. They actually conflict. But I'd be happy to show you what I was arguing...

i just looked up the law in my state
No you didn't, you did a google search online which brought you to a webpage (even though it seems accurate) that would hardly pass as any sort of legal basis for argument when a cop is writing you a ticket. More appropriately, you should have said: "I just looked it up online". The reason you DIDN'T write this, is because it doesn't sound as official.

"Honestly officer, I read it online! Stop signs with white borders are optional! It's the law!"

it states that i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast everyone else is going
No. It. Doesn't.

It states exactly what I quoted. I copied/pasted actually. If you are still confused, I'd be happy to provide an example.

You're on the interstate, two lanes, posted limit is 65. Traffic is flowing at 70 mph. You're coasting at 62 mph. There is some dork going 55 in the right lane, and you have your cruise set. You slide in the left lane and cruise by him, a completely safe and legal manuever. However, at this point, you decide you like left side better because it's been freshly paved and offers up less noise than the right side, and your car seems to like it better. You think for a moment as cars pile up behind you flashing their lights and honking their horns as they have been forced to slow down, but you recall that the law says "You can stay in the left lane no matter how fast other cars are going!" So you throw up some gang signs in your rearview and continue along your merry way. Then all of a sudden you get flashed again and are about to pull out your nine and bust a cap, but realize this time it's a cruiser behind you with it's lights on. You just earned yourself a ticket, because YOU CAN'T BE IN THE LEFT LANE WHENVER YOU WANT. You MUST travel at LEAST the speed limit in the left lane.

This is the argument I was making, I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything illegal by travelling 10mph over the speed limit and still not yeilding, I specifically said that after I read the whole thread. It doesn't change the fact that regardless of your legal right, it just makes sense to let someone on your tail go by when it doesn't inconvenience you.

In conclusion, I agree AND disagree with you. I agree that legally you have no obligation to leave the left lane ONLY when you're travelling at or over the speed limit. I disagree with you that you looked up or stated the law that exists in your state, you obtained information from the internet ABOUT the law in your state, the accuracy of which cannot be verified, other than by the research that I did. I disagree that when you're in the left lane, you should stay there and let the guy behind your rot because you have the legal right. It's courtesy, if you have the oppertunity, let the guy by and let him out of your life, otherwise you're just escalating the situation until he does something dumb.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM

I don't think you MUST travel the speed limit in the left lane. And you certainly not "at least" the speed limit, because anytime you go over the speed limit for any reason you're in violation of the law. Even when you're passing doesn't give you the right to go over the speed limit.

The left lane is for passing. If the limit is 70 and you're going 65 in the right lane, and come up on a guy going 55, you're well within your right to get in the left lane to pass, and you don't have to go 70. In fact, on the law sheet you posted there's only 2 states that say you have to be within 5mph of the speed limit on the left lane. So you can pass the guy going 55 and still go 65, that's fine. What isn't allowed is after you've passed this guy and the right lane is clear again, you have to get back over and give people the opportunity to pass you.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by Madsci
I don't think you MUST travel the speed limit in the left lane. And you certainly not "at least" the speed limit, because anytime you go over the speed limit for any reason you're in violation of the law. Even when you're passing doesn't give you the right to go over the speed limit.
Remember now, this applies solely to North Carolina.

Originally Posted by North Carolina General Statutes Annotated
Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section, when appropriate signs have been posted, it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle over and upon the inside lane, next to the median of any dual-lane highway at a speed less than the posted speed limit when the operation of said motor vehicle over and upon said inside lane shall impede the steady flow of traffic except when preparing for a left turn.
Opposite of less is more than or equal to. So, you must travel more than or equal to the speed limit in the leftmost lane. If you don't like that... take it up with the N.C. legislature .

The left lane is for passing. If the limit is 70 and you're going 65 in the right lane, and come up on a guy going 55, you're well within your right to get in the left lane to pass, and you don't have to go 70.
While this is a blatent contradiction of what the actual written law says, I will refrain from sarcastic comment and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you looked this type of thing up, even though I am still doubtful of that. It's only true because the quoted law starts with "Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section", of which one provision does create an exception to this subsection, and that is when overtaking another vehicle. However, if you are not travelling at or above the speed limit, you are required to leave the leftmost lane when it is safe to do so, as you pointed out later.

In fact, on the law sheet you posted there's only 2 states that say you have to be within 5mph of the speed limit on the left lane.
I didn't post a law sheet. I trust nothing some random internet link tells me without some verification. I am assuming you were responding to me because of your previous comments, if not, I apologize for responding to this.

I am also not arguing that this is the law everywhere, it is not. This kind of law is actually fairly uncommon in the U.S. Other states have adopted different laws regarding the left lane, some more lenient with left lane travelers, most are more strict about what criterea you must meet to drive in the leftmost lane.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
No you didn't, you did a google search online which brought you to a webpage (even though it seems accurate) that would hardly pass as any sort of legal basis for argument when a cop is writing you a ticket. More appropriately, you should have said: "I just looked it up online". The reason you DIDN'T write this, is because it doesn't sound as official.
now you're trying too hard...i 'looked it up online' and came up with the same EXACT page you showed me, but you did your research and i didnt?? tell me, how did you get your information??
and when did i ever say i was going below the speed limit. never. i understand why theres confusion, and i guess its partially my fault. i shouldnt have assumed everyone knew what i was talking about, but i thought it was obvious from reading my posts. so i apologize for that, it should have read "when i am going 10 over, it states that i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast others are going", should have added the 'when im going 10 over" part, afterall that i was i said in my first post
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Remember now, this applies solely to North Carolina.

Opposite of less is more than or equal to. So, you must travel more than or equal to the speed limit in the leftmost lane. If you don't like that... take it up with the N.C. legislature .

While this is a blatent contradiction of what the actual written law says, I will refrain from sarcastic comment and give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you looked this type of thing up, even though I am still doubtful of that. It's only true because the quoted law starts with "Notwithstanding any other provisions of this section", of which one provision does create an exception to this subsection, and that is when overtaking another vehicle. However, if you are not travelling at or above the speed limit, you are required to leave the leftmost lane when it is safe to do so, as you pointed out later.

I didn't post a law sheet. I trust nothing some random internet link tells me without some verification. I am assuming you were responding to me because of your previous comments, if not, I apologize for responding to this.

I am also not arguing that this is the law everywhere, it is not. This kind of law is actually fairly uncommon in the U.S. Other states have adopted different laws regarding the left lane, some more lenient with left lane travelers, most are more strict about what criterea you must meet to drive in the leftmost lane.
No, I agree, I didn't realize we were talking just about NC. I looked on the link you posted and it gives a link to each state law.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't you know who I am?

now you're trying too hard...i 'looked it up online' and came up with the same EXACT page you showed me, but you did your research and i didnt?? tell me, how did you get your information??
Whoa whoa... what page did I show you? I didn't show anybody anything, I only copy and pasted from NCGSA, but I didn't link anything, I'm a bit confused because you're the second person to say this.

My information comes from the Westlaw Campus law database, which indexes the all the GSA books for each state, as well as hundreds of thousands of precedential cases for caselaw study. For more info:

http://campus.westlaw.com/

when did i ever say i was going below the speed limit. never. i understand why theres confusion, and i guess its partially my fault. i shouldnt have assumed everyone knew what i was talking about, but i thought it was obvious from reading my posts. so i apologize for that, it should have read "when i am going 10 over, it states that i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast others are going", should have added the 'when im going 10 over" part, afterall that i was i said in my first post
Yeah, I apologize for this. I hadn't read your first post, or rather I did read it but did not realize that your first post and this post:

i just looked up the law in my state and it states that i can stay in the left lane no matter how fast everyone else is going, so thats invalid. maybe in your state it'll **** more people off, but everywhere else...nu-uh, if im already going 10 over, which i could get ticketed for already, im not going to go 15 over to please the person behind me.
were by the same poster. My intial response was to THIS quoted post alone. I saw later and editted my post to accomdate the fact that you did indicate you were going 10 over. Sorry.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:37 PM

You know what else is really annoying is when you're behind somebody in the left lane of a highway or on a two-lane highway (i.e. one lane in either direction) who is going below the speed limit or speeding up and slowing down all the time. Finally when you get the chance to pass them you do it and they speed up 15 miles an hour and stay on your bumper because they're terribly insecure that they got passed (probably because deep down they know they had their head up their * and were driving like a moron before they got passed).
Old 04-17-2007, 06:38 PM
I R The Law

Wow people quit aruging about a law. Even tho it is about the topic, its getting really annoying.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:57 PM

People inside the roundabout who yield to cars outside the round about. Yesterday the genius two cars in front of me decided to stop inside the roundabout and wait for three cars to go through, talk about gridlock
Old 04-17-2007, 07:02 PM

oh and today, I was cruising along doing a nice 15mph when some twatwaffle old Toyota minivan decides to pull out in front of me from the left side of the street. An oncoming Durango had to slam on his brakes and barely barely barely missed him and I had to hit the brakes pretty dang good as well.

We both should have tag teamed the b1tch and jacked him up, the carnage would have been awesome.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:07 PM

Oh and kids who do not lock up their rabbits. It's all fun and games until fluffy is ran over. I noticed they have more ***** than squirrels do when playing chicken with cars.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:51 PM

Wow people quit aruging about a law. Even tho it is about the topic, its getting really annoying.
lol, we're done, we came to an understanding.

and wtf is that about rabbits?? lol
Old 04-17-2007, 08:03 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by MrGone
Oh and kids who do not lock up their rabbits. It's all fun and games until fluffy is ran over. I noticed they have more ***** than squirrels do when playing chicken with cars.
LMAO!!!!

I've never had an encounter with rabbits before.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:14 PM

the fact that my ford exploder gets 1mpg...seriously i put 10 bucks in my tank and got about 3.128 gallons...then i get to my house which is like a mile and half from the pump and the light is back on..its like a never ending battle
Old 04-17-2007, 08:33 PM

LMAO!!!!

The baby ones squeal like crazy when you accidently run them over with your lawnmower. The squeal is so high pitched, enough to make you go crazy and stop for a few seconds and say especially when multiples are run over.

However, it's their fault they came out of the nest into a trap of doom
Old 04-17-2007, 08:37 PM

Yeah rabbits have ***** when it comes to getting in front of cars. I hit one a month ago because it ran out then just sat there staring at me.

Originally Posted by MrGone
People inside the roundabout who yield to cars outside the round about. Yesterday the genius two cars in front of me decided to stop inside the roundabout and wait for three cars to go through, talk about gridlock
No roundabouts in PA, are you in the North east? I know NE has a bunch, they are pretty cool.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:08 PM

1) people that ride in your blind spot

2) people that switch to the empty lane at a red light and then go the same speed as the car they were just behind when the light turns green

3) people that take a long time to change lanes even though it's wide open and as soon as you go for the lane they decide to go for it too
Old 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM
When are gas prices going down

1. People who treat the roads and parking lots like their own personal NASCAR venue (draft your tail, then swerve over no lights--or race across the painted lines at the back of the lot, as if no one would ever be coming THE RIGHT WAY)
2. People who don't let you accelerate to get on the freeway; they think they can speed up faster than you (look, I've a Maxima, and I WILL use it!)
3. People with poor depth perception that think they have plenty of time to pull across 4 lanes (nope, you missed it by two, pops--we all had to stop)
4. People on cell phones (get a freakin bluetooth)
5. Blue-haired drivers that are one fall away from a Medi-alert commercial
6. People who don't use their cruise control on the Interstate--you know the ones that hold you up in the left lane, then get over and speed up like 15mph more (If you had been driving that fast in the first place, we wouldn't be in this situation, numbskull)
7. People who borrowed their friend's (or just bought one) straight-drive and stall out repeatedly on a hill--actually, that's so pathetic it's really funny (try the hand brake if it's that tough for you, Tammy)
8. Clemson fans
9. People that think their Plymouth Reliant is a sports car
10. People that don't know what their sports car is for

Quick Reply: What bothers you on the road?