General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Car turns over, but not running???? HELP!!???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 09:11 AM

Car turns over, but not running???? HELP!!???

So on sunday. I was driving up RT146 from Worc. to Millbury to go to the Blackstone Valley Plaza. I had all intintions of watching a movie that night. Before I got to the exit that I neded to get off at, My instriment panel lighting startede to dim. Not like I was tuning the **** type dim. Then the car started to putt putt a little. I was very concerned about what was going on.
So I pulled over, put the car in park, and ... Well the car died. I was very concerned at this point. Especially due to the fact that I was on a state HWY, driving with a suspended license. Thank goodness that my girl was in the car.

Anyways. When I went to start her back up, all lights came on like normal but car soounded like it had the flu cough. Not really but it just didnt want to turn over and start.

So I have the car at the shop and we go threw a FEW things that could be the issue. We have spark. We have power, we have fuel. Ground is okay. This mechanic is telling me that it COULD, not that it is, but COULD be the ECU. I am not going to drop $900 for a new ECU from the DEALER on a COULD!!!! What I am thinking is that we didn't check the fuel pressure. Or see if anyone put sugar or sand or some sh** like that in the talk.

I am asking if anyone has had this issue and if so, what did you do about it. Second thing I am asking is. Does anyone have an ECU that matches this Number... 8W A18-N78ZB5 9614 This is right of the ECU.

Any info would be very helpfull. I miss my baby. I haven't driven her since sunday. HELP HELP PLEASE
Old 04-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hhmmm

alternator?? i know during veh operation the alt runs all electrical. batt(from what i know) acts as a suppressor for the elec sys. when that certain circuit(in conjunction with batt, ecm, and alt diode) senses full chg the alt cuts out an lets the batt take over for a bit. try having your alt tested an go from there.

ABC NISSAN TECH PHX,AZ
Old 04-25-2007, 07:22 AM

So, I went over to Bancroft Nissan in Auburn MA to talk to them about working on the car. You Know what this fool told me. It's not a NISSAN! I started to question him on how he knows this. Of coarse being the NISSAN Rep he tels me it's because it is an Infiniti. Me being the smart *** I am, I asked him what motor the 96 to 99 Maxima had in it. Basically I had to school him on the correct name of my car, what motor is in need, why it is that they COULD work on it. Needless to say he did not like this.

To get back to the situation at hand. It has now been 10days at the shop and still can not find the reason why it is not starting. Here is a short list of what was replaced. All new parts.

Altenator and belt, Nock Sensor, Cam Sensor, Fuel Filter, Battery.
Here is what was tested
Fuel pressure, computer codes, starter

All this, wich really isn't a lot, has been done. I am getting a little anoyed at the fact that I can't drive my baby. Any other suggestions before I send my car 57miles from where I am to the nearist Infiniti Dealer?
Old 04-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Infiniti 35 Double G's

somebody else can confirm for me, BUT if this Infiniti also has the engine immobilizer found in the '99 Maxima, THAT might be the culprit.

something similar happened to me about a year ago, similar to what you've described: car would crank but never turn over...somehow the immobilizer system tripped by itself and the chips in my keys weren't recognized.

of course, all this is moot if you don't have that in your Infiniti.