General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4DSC stickers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Just wondering, how is that relevant? You're comparing a fully modded VE5 to a 4th gen GLE (presumably stock)?

This is completely retarded. Yeah, 3rd gens have IRS. Yeah, I'm sure they handle better, there's no doubt in my mind. But all of a sudden third gens are feeling threatened and talking eight shades of **** about every other Maxima. Why? Why do you care? For some reason everyone feels that they have to prove at all costs that their gens are better than any other gen.

Yeah, I have a rear beam.
Yeah, my car wheelhops like no other.
Yeah, I have a gross excess of chassis flex, and my car has a few rattles.
Yeah, even with an RSB I have an upsetting amount of understeer.
Yeah, I have a ski-pole shifter and no synchros.
Yeah, my VQ has no top-end.

I love my car anyway, it's good at a lot of things. I don't doubt you feel the same about your car. The third gen is closest to a sports car, but no Maxima is really a sports car.

Whatever. Carry on.

Thanks,just wondering...
Old 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by AllBlackMax
Dude,

That Vette clearly slowed down when you passed him.
I didn't see him catching up...

*edit* all the cars you passed in that video gave you a courtesy pass. You didn't exactly blow by them.
I'm curious, how many times have you been to the track?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:19 PM
aka The Doom Ship

But you know what,

I give you props for your video. I haven't put my 6th Gen through that. And, because it's my primary vehicle I probably won't for a while. I would take it through a couple of laps though just to see.

Could be that I need a reality check. I'll leave room for that since I haven't raced alot in my Max. But I know from experience my car will do 130+, and it's auto.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:23 PM
aka The Doom Ship

I didn't see them tryin' to race him either. Looked like they were just getting track time in.

I didn't see him catching up...

I'm curious, how many times have you been to the track?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:27 PM

I didn't see them tryin' to race him either. Looked like they were just getting track time in.
You don't let someone by unless they're faster than you.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 PM
aka The Doom Ship

That's bull. I'll let someone by if they're clearly driving more aggressive than I am and I'm not trying to push it or race them. That was clear in the video.

You don't let someone by unless they're faster than you.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM

That's bull. I'll let someone by if they're clearly driving more aggressive than I am and I'm not trying to push it or race them. That was clear in the video.
So what you're saying is... you let someone by when they're driving faster than you?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:39 PM
aka The Doom Ship

How old are you? Oh yeah, that explains it.

So what you're saying is... you let someone by when they're driving faster than you?
Old 05-17-2007, 04:42 PM

How old are you? Oh yeah, that explains it.
You win. More aggressive driving is slower driving.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:55 PM

Hahahhaha

AllBlackMax, If you are driving a slower car, you let faster cars pass. It's clear the vette and the other HAD to let him pass. That's the rule at the track.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:05 PM
STFU n00b!

Let's put it this way. I was running a ~2:08 lap time in that vid. the vette was running about 2:20.
half a lap before, he wasn't even in sight. I caught up to him in 3 turns.
Once I passed him, he was out of my mirror in 3 turns. He never got near me again.

No. I'm not faster.

The Miatas I was passing were giving it all they had. I have ~50whp over them for the straights, and I was keeping up with most of them in the corners. I was easily chasing them down.

Have you ever been to a HPDE? It's not "racing". That's how it's done. If someone catches up to you, they're obviously faster than you or they wouldn't have caught you in the first place. So you lift a bit (if you're in a vette, or keep it floored if you're in a Miata) and let them by.

as for going to the track, I'll be at Texas World speedway again this weekend, albeit in my 240SX. It's only about 3 hours from Plano.

OR... Come to Maxus, and my 3 gen will be out there dicing it up with the rest of them.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 PM
You embarrass me.

This thread is ridiculous. Torgus, PM erty67, he makes custom stickers, and very good ones at that. I'd be very interested to see how they would look on your car.

Would I get them? Not particularly, I'm satisfied with my maxima.org ones and thats it. Should people tell me how to mod my car? Try it and see if I listen.

I'm sorry, but this inter-generation argument is absolutely pointless. You can go on for days about how the third gen is the closest to a sports car, great. It's unnecessary. At the end of the day, we drive a sports sedan from Nissan.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:28 PM
STFU n00b!

maybe... but mine is more sports than yours is.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:31 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Matt, aren't you turbo? Strip it down to NA then we can race.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
If you want to comment on my holier-than-thou approach, then don't bring apples to an orange throwing contest.

The 4th and 5th gens had a ****ing minivan suspension on them. no sports car there! the 6th gen is too damn big, heavy, and overloaded with sunroofs and gizmos, and the build quality is crap. the only thing sporty about that car is the VQ35 and a 6 speed tranny. At least it had IRS, but with the addition of that, they added so much more crap to it, it's no longer even in the same class of car as the original Maxima. Too many electronic nannies and gadgets.

If you want to comment on my holier-than-thou approach, then don't bring apples to an orange throwing contest.

The 4th and 5th gens had a ****ing minivan suspension on them.
but when you drop it, its 4DSC

no sports car there! the 6th gen is too damn big, heavy, and overloaded with sunroofs and gizmos, and the build quality is crap.
Build quality is sleek, though big, but sunroofs has been an option since the 1st gen am i wrong
the only thing sporty about that car is the VQ35 and a 6 speed tranny.
hands down ownage...End of conversation
At least it had IRS, but with the addition of that, they added so much more crap to it, it's no longer even in the same class of car as the original Maxima. Too many electronic nannies and gadgets.
so do mustangs, vettes and maximas. Shift_go go gadget volume control
Old 05-17-2007, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by kencapel
He's talking about suspension type and geometry (rear beam), not ride height. Unless you retrofit some IRS there is no changing that.

At least it had IRS, but with the addition of that, they added so much more crap to it, it's no longer even in the same class of car as the original Maxima. Too many electronic nannies and gadgets.
-I wouldn't call the modern Mustang a sports car
-Vette has 400-500hp and is about 3000lbs flat, has double wishbone suspension and 50/50 weight distribution. All of its electronic gizmos are performance oriented, save the radio/GPS.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:52 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

no sports car there! the 6th gen is too damn big, heavy, and overloaded with sunroofs and gizmos, and the build quality is crap.
Build quality is sleek, though big, but sunroofs has been an option since the 1st gen am i wrong

What? Lets speak english here..

Old 05-17-2007, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
What? Lets speak english here..

I saw what you did there.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM

-I wouldn't call the modern Mustang a sports car
-Vette has 400-500hp and is about 3000lbs flat, has double wishbone suspension and 50/50 weight distribution. All of its electronic gizmos are performance oriented, save the radio/GPS.
still has electronic gizmos...and so do M5's and whatnot
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
STFU n00b!

drop != handling. do your homework.

not a sunroof the entire length of the cabin, causing horrid chassis flex.. Build quality is absolute crap. sounds like a tin can. Half the interior is SPRAY PAINTED PLASTIC! :ROFLMAO:
Dodge ram 2500 has the same V10 that the Viper does. doesn't make it a sports car. 4wd diesel trucks have been known to run 11s in a 1/4 mile. doesn't mean they're sports cars.
Throttle by wire = joke. throttle response lags.
ABS= teh suck. a good driver can get better braking distances without it.
traction control = pansy.
Nav= WTF?
auto climate control = meh.
heated seats = pansy.
cooled seats = more pansy.
how many cupholders big enough for a 44oz slurpie are in that thing? real sports cars don't have cupholders. (neither to 3rd gens, FYI)
Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 PM

still has electronic gizmos...and so do M5's and whatnot
I think you're missing the point.

A Vette or M5 is already a very quick car, and the "gizmos" don't interfere with your driving experience/involvement. A 6th gen is more or less a boat with a decent engine.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:27 PM

I guess what I am getting from this so far is: Let's all buy B13 Sentra SE-Rs, smack a few 3rd gen Maximas around, and ask the owners "I thought that the "SC" in '4DSC' stood for 'Sports Car'?"

Looky here Matty. It was presumptous of Nissan in the 1st place to publicly proclaim the Maximas of ANY generation a "Sports Car" of any kind, especially when there were/are BMWs from the same years of the 4-dr variety that will smoke said gen Maxima in any contest of speed, ESPECIALLY handling. I don't see any "4DSC" stickers on THOSE cars.

It's a "Sports Car" because you (or Nissan wanted to make you) THINK it is, or if you modded it, because you MADE it that way.

It DOESN'T mean that your car holds the definition, and that you need to get uppity about another 4-dr owner that feels the same way about his car as you do yours. Get off your high horse, bro.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:30 PM

drop != handling. do your homework.

not a sunroof the entire length of the cabin, causing horrid chassis flex.. Build quality is absolute crap. sounds like a tin can. Half the interior is SPRAY PAINTED PLASTIC! :ROFLMAO:
Dodge ram 2500 has the same V10 that the Viper does. doesn't make it a sports car. 4wd diesel trucks have been known to run 11s in a 1/4 mile. doesn't mean they're sports cars.
Throttle by wire = joke. throttle response lags.
ABS= teh suck. a good driver can get better braking distances without it.
traction control = pansy.
Nav= WTF?
auto climate control = meh.
heated seats = pansy.
cooled seats = more pansy.
how many cupholders big enough for a 44oz slurpie are in that thing? real sports cars don't have cupholders. (neither to 3rd gens, FYI)

lol u broke it down...but still look at how many cars got all that crap and can still move that are sports cars...im not against the 4dcs on any maxima, but i know urs is a 4dsc, i seen u in action...so yea i believe if the dood should have 4dsc on a 5.5 gen i'd do it too...but just remember, he's not tryna impress anybody on the org, nobodys gonna feel anybodys taste anyway...most are haters
Old 05-17-2007, 06:32 PM

I think you're missing the point.

A Vette or M5 is already a very quick car, and the "gizmos" don't interfere with your driving experience/involvement. A 6th gen is more or less a boat with a decent engine.
he said gizmos...i gave him gizmos even tho he summed up more...i didnt say nothin about the maxima being a sports car...i got all points here
Old 05-17-2007, 06:41 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Amen to that.

Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
I guess what I am getting from this so far is: Let's all buy B13 Sentra SE-Rs, smack a few 3rd gen Maximas around, and ask the owners "I thought that the "SC" in '4DSC' stood for 'Sports Car'?"

Looky here Matty. It was presumptous of Nissan in the 1st place to publicly proclaim the Maximas of ANY generation a "Sports Car" of any kind, especially when there were/are BMWs from the same years of the 4-dr variety that will smoke said gen Maxima in any contest of speed, ESPECIALLY handling. I don't see any "4DSC" stickers on THOSE cars.

It's a "Sports Car" because you (or Nissan wanted to make you) THINK it is, or if you modded it, because you MADE it that way.

It DOESN'T mean that your car holds the definition, and that you need to get uppity about another 4-dr owner that feels the same way about his car as you do yours. Get off your high horse, bro.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:46 PM

he said gizmos...i gave him gizmos even tho he summed up more...i didnt say nothin about the maxima being a sports car...i got all points here
A very important part of a counter-argument is the ability to understand the argument that you're contesting. His main argument was that the 6th gen was a boat and was built from the ground up for comfort and luxury. It is too much of a compromise as a whole to be a sports car.

As in, it has four doors, is big and heavy, chassis flex out the wazoo, doesn't handle well, has crappy throttle response, etc.

You gave the Vette as a counterexample. A coupe that is light, has a 6-7 liter V8, is RWD with an LSD, pretty rigid, has a proper suspension setup, amazing brakes, impeccable handling and perfect weight distribution.

Now, do you see how this is not a counterexample?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:54 PM

A very important part of a counter-argument is the ability to understand the argument that you're contesting. His main argument was that the 6th gen was a boat and was built from the ground up for comfort and luxury. It is too much of a compromise as a whole to be a sports car.

As in, it has four doors, is big and heavy, chassis flex out the wazoo, doesn't handle well, has crappy throttle response, etc.

You gave the Vette as a counterexample. A coupe that is light, has a 6-7 liter V8, is RWD with an LSD, pretty rigid, has a proper suspension setup, amazing brakes, impeccable handling and perfect weight distribution.

Now, do you see how this is not a counterexample?

hmm...not really, cuz it still comes with gizmos. omg im done lol this thread ended in another topic. hey topic starter, good luck finding the 4dsc sticker.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Yeah, good luck finding the sticker.

As a rule of thumb I don't put another car's badge on my car but that's just me.

Do you.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:09 PM

hmm...not really, cuz it still comes with gizmos.
Yeah, I didn't think so.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:15 PM

Put the stickers on already, and if anyone asks...

...4DSC = 4 wheel disc brakes.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nismopc
Put the stickers on already, and if anyone asks...

...4DSC = 4 wheel disc brakes.

4 CD changer, just like the DSC button in BMWs. No dude, that means disc!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:01 PM

i have to come back because ive lost understanding of this thread. matt seemed to be saying that the 3rd gen is best and that no other gen would pass it stock. funny though that he wouldnt let his car be stock. when i said a 5.5 would catch and pass on every straightaway, i didnt mean a stock one against a highly bolted 3rd...thats not the right comparison. the 4dsc sticker didnt say "only applies to highly modified cars". when you compare things, you cant just compare them when one is in a completely different state. take a 6th gen or 5th gen, or fourth gen and highly mod it(yes, that mean 00vi for the 4th gen). guess what? itll keep up with you. make a fair comparison and it doesnt look the same anymore. LET HIM GET HIS STICKER, ITS NOT YOUR CAR.

and PS: your 3rd gen still isnt as fast as that corvette or a viper. you might be faster/more daring than the driver though. if you drove all the cars around the track, your car would likely be the slowest.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:44 PM
aka The Doom Ship

Amen to that. I'm sure he would purposly slow down in the other cars just to prove you wrong.

jk

Originally Posted by Theyears02
and PS: your 3rd gen still isnt as fast as that corvette or a viper. you might be faster/more daring than the driver though. if you drove all the cars around the track, your car would likely be the slowest.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 PM

your 3rd gen still isnt as fast as that corvette or a viper.
I don't think anyone was arguing that it was.

you might be faster/more daring than the driver though. if you drove all the cars around the track, your car would likely be the slowest.
Ding ding ding... I'm sure it would beat the Miatas at least though. Driver is everything. However I think he'd need some time to adapt to the different cars...
Old 05-17-2007, 09:45 PM

He has the least to lose, and his car is likely one of the cheapest to fix, so he can go ***** out everytime, while others have to conserve their tires and their car.

Those wide rims and tires on most modern 'Vettes and Vipers are worth about as much as his whole car is worth on the used car market.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
STFU n00b!

i have to come back because ive lost understanding of this thread. matt seemed to be saying that the 3rd gen is best and that no other gen would pass it stock. funny though that he wouldnt let his car be stock. when i said a 5.5 would catch and pass on every straightaway, i didnt mean a stock one against a highly bolted 3rd...thats not the right comparison. the 4dsc sticker didnt say "only applies to highly modified cars". when you compare things, you cant just compare them when one is in a completely different state. take a 6th gen or 5th gen, or fourth gen and highly mod it(yes, that mean 00vi for the 4th gen). guess what? itll keep up with you. make a fair comparison and it doesnt look the same anymore. LET HIM GET HIS STICKER, ITS NOT YOUR CAR.

You've lost understanding of the thread because everyone else seems to miss the point entirely. ALL of the cars subsequent to the J30 platform simply don't have the passion and the 'fun to drive' factor of a sports car. They've gone luxo-boat since 1994, and that's the simple arguement. they are no longer sports sedans (i.e. 4 door sports car). They're semi-luxo sedans with a good amount of power.

whether my car is stock or not is beside ANY of the rest of the point. you start inferring to the chassis as a whole as being incapable. I proved to you that it is entirely capable. and my car had no major mods on it at the time-- just simple bolt ons. intake, y, flywheel, springs, shocks, tires, and a bolt-on BBK. It only runs mid 14s at the dragstrip and is still comfortable to drive on the highway (I routinely hop in it and drive 500 miles a stretch for my job). Yet in the proper hands, it can hold its own on a road course with cars 10x its price. So to say it's in no way, shape, or form a sporty car is asinine.

so there's both points of the arguement. both are completely different issues, as you idjits will argue till you're blue in the face over an issue which you know NOTHING about. I said the 5th and 6th gen were not worthy of the 4DSC moniker, and half a dozen 5th and 6th gen drivers took offense to it and argued random points to try to prove me wrong. They still have failed to make a valid point against my original statement.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM
You embarrass me.

maybe... but mine is more sports than yours is.
I'm so happy for you, and I'm sure your right. Maybe you could lose the ego about your car too...
Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

But I know from experience my car will do 130+, and it's auto.
LMAO!! Do you know how fast a stock 3rd gen can go? Not how quick but how fast. No, Matt's isn't stock, but I'm positive his car can get up to 160mph. I know my "turd gen" can...

I'd have to agree with Matt here. Of course I'm biased, I own a 3rd gen. I've driven all of the newer gen Maximas and the quality just isn't there. They just aren't as fun to drive as the 3rd gen.

BTW, this thread is very funny to me. It's way off topic, but very funny. lol
Old 05-18-2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
LMAO!! Do you know how fast a stock 3rd gen can go? Not how quick but how fast. No, Matt's isn't stock, but I'm positive his car can get up to 160mph. I know my "turd gen" can...

I'd have to agree with Matt here. Of course I'm biased, I own a 3rd gen. I've driven all of the newer gen Maximas and the quality just isn't there. They just aren't as fun to drive as the 3rd gen.

BTW, this thread is very funny to me. It's way off topic, but very funny. lol
160mph eh? Sorry but somehow I don't see that happening off the bottle, and I'm preeetty sure Matt isn't into nitrous.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

160mph eh? Sorry but somehow I don't see that happening off the bottle, and I'm preeetty sure Matt isn't into nitrous.
believe what you want...

BTW, I'd never do a high speed run on with n2o. That's just asking for engine problems. the fastest i've EVER been with n2o is 135mph. I did 160mph in my other BPU NA 3rd gen which was done about 2 1/2 years ago. It may be very hard to believe, but this speed was accomplished at 5500 ft. of elevation. I know that I went 160mph because I calculated my rpm's in 5th gear and I also took my tire size into account of the equation.

Quick Reply: 4DSC stickers