General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

4DSC stickers

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 505max94se
believe what you want...

BTW, I'd never do a high speed run on with n2o. That's just asking for engine problems.
Good.

the fastest i've EVER been with n2o is 135mph. I did 160mph in my other BPU NA 3rd gen which was done about 2 1/2 years ago. It may be very hard to believe, but this speed was accomplished at 5500 ft. of elevation. I know that I went 160mph because I calculated my rpm's in 5th gear and I also took my tire size into account of the equation.
Pics.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

That's ok if you don't believe me. I really wouldn't expect you to. And no I don't have pics or a video (though, I wish that I did). I did have a passenger to attest what I said, but that doesn't mean anything in this circumstance. Oh well. Like I said, believe what you want.
Old 05-18-2007, 09:58 PM

The beam/4th gen vs. IRS/3rd gen arguments always gives me a chuckle. I remember the 4th gen out-slaloming and out-gripping the 3rd gen stock for stock when it first came out. It also had more torsional chassis rigidity. Either way, i don't understand the hate between gens. Stupid as all hell...
Old 05-18-2007, 10:05 PM

This may sound hypcritical, but I have to agree with you nismology. I don't dislike the other generations, I just don't think that they deserve the 4DSC sticker.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:06 PM

That's ok if you don't believe me. I really wouldn't expect you to. And no I don't have pics or a video (though, I wish that I did). I did have a passenger to attest what I said, but that doesn't mean anything in this circumstance. Oh well. Like I said, believe what you want.
I've GPS-checked my speedo up to about 120. At 70mph I was going about 69 and at an indicated 110 I was doing about 100. Just out of curiosity, I did another little test. At an indicated 120mph I'm turning over an indicated 5000rpm, which, checked with normal 73mph at 3000rpm in 5th gear is almost exactly 120mph. So, apparently, my tach is off as well.

Not saying it didn't happen, just saying it's not too feasible that you hit 160 in a VE with just boltons. 150 I'll believe but 160 is pushing it.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
The beam/4th gen vs. IRS/3rd gen arguments always gives me a chuckle. I remember the 4th gen out-slaloming and out-gripping the 3rd gen stock for stock when it first came out.
Honestly, that says very little about the actual handling that the car exhibits.

Either way, i don't understand the hate between gens. Stupid as all hell...
Totally agree with you there.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by MorpheusZero
Honestly, that says very little about the actual handling that the car exhibits.
Someone posted a vid here a while back about a stock 4th and 3rd gen going around some track and the 4th gen outhandled it easily. Granted, the track was relatively smooth. The knock on the beam is how it handles on really rough surfaces. On smooth surfaces, the beam owns surprisingly. Now once you start to modify the IRS and dial in the camber and toe and blah blah then things start to change. IRS is superior ultimately because of increased ride comfort and ease of adjusting the rear alignment and being more composed over rough patches. The beam doesn't automatically mean that a 4th gen can't be made to handle well though. One thing the A32 has going for it is considerably less weight on the front end of the car.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 AM

Someone posted a vid here a while back about a stock 4th and 3rd gen going around some track and the 4th gen outhandled it easily. Granted, the track was relatively smooth. The knock on the beam is how it handles on really rough surfaces. On smooth surfaces, the beam owns surprisingly. Now once you start to modify the IRS and dial in the camber and toe and blah blah then things start to change. IRS is superior ultimately because of increased ride comfort and ease of adjusting the rear alignment and being more composed over rough patches. The beam doesn't automatically mean that a 4th gen can't be made to handle well though. One thing the A32 has going for it is considerably less weight on the front end of the car.
Yeah, the beam is fine on smooth surfaces. The A32 can be made to have a decent amount of grip. I consider my A32 to handle pretty damn well, although it's no sports car, and would definitely benefit from IRS. I'd really like to see this video though, you have a link?

However, the VE5 is more conducive to a track environment simply because of the powerband. The VQ is all low-midrange, which is great on the street, but there's a reason the VE5 will pull away from a 4th gen on the highway. Add a 00VI, though, and things change a bit. Obviously the VQ's all-aluminum construction will put less weight over the front axle than the VE's iron block/aluminum heads. What are the weight distributions of J30s and A32s? Mid sixties over the front axle, right?
Old 05-19-2007, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by carrrnuttt
I guess what I am getting from this so far is: Let's all buy B13 Sentra SE-Rs, smack a few 3rd gen Maximas around, and ask the owners "I thought that the "SC" in '4DSC' stood for 'Sports Car'?"

Looky here Matty. It was presumptous of Nissan in the 1st place to publicly proclaim the Maximas of ANY generation a "Sports Car" of any kind, especially when there were/are BMWs from the same years of the 4-dr variety that will smoke said gen Maxima in any contest of speed, ESPECIALLY handling. I don't see any "4DSC" stickers on THOSE cars.

It's a "Sports Car" because you (or Nissan wanted to make you) THINK it is, or if you modded it, because you MADE it that way.

It DOESN'T mean that your car holds the definition, and that you need to get uppity about another 4-dr owner that feels the same way about his car as you do yours. Get off your high horse, bro.

Can't we all just get along!?
Old 05-19-2007, 07:14 PM

The 3rd gen is better in terms of driving dynamics...period. The 4DSC moniker is something we hold sacred exclusively to the 3rd gen, because of these driving characteristics, and the design formula applied to it vs. later generations.

Matt is an engineer (like myself) and is one of the pioneers of this site. He designs and produces aftermarket parts...I think he knows his ****...

As for all of you newbies (usually >1000 posts) coming in talking smack about something you have relatively little knowledge of, I say two things...

1) Go drive a VE-5 back to back with a later gen and tell me your car is the superior machine for aggressive driving, I dare ya!
2) Matt is a pioneer of this site and a respected member of this community...so shut the fukc up and give the man a bit of respect.
Old 05-19-2007, 10:47 PM
Droppin logs

Arguing with Matt about 3rd gens is like arguing with the Pope about Catholicism...
Old 05-20-2007, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
The 3rd gen is better in terms of driving dynamics...period. The 4DSC moniker is something we hold sacred exclusively to the 3rd gen, because of these driving characteristics, and the design formula applied to it vs. later generations.

Matt is an engineer (like myself) and is one of the pioneers of this site. He designs and produces aftermarket parts...I think he knows his ****...

As for all of you newbies (usually >1000 posts) coming in talking smack about something you have relatively little knowledge of, I say two things...

1) Go drive a VE-5 back to back with a later gen and tell me your car is the superior machine for aggressive driving, I dare ya!
2) Matt is a pioneer of this site and a respected member of this community...so shut the fukc up and give the man a bit of respect.
I agree 100% with Matt in terms of the third gen being the better 'driving' machine out of all the gens BUT my problem is Matt telling people what they should and should NOT put on their own car (especially a sticker). You're only fueling the fire that way. Just let them put the sticker on their car if they TRULY desire to. At the end of the day, Matt, you know you're right so just let it be.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:12 PM

This thread is funny. I had an 89 and 92 SE 4DSC. I actually like the styling and suspension better than my 02 but both are great cars. When I was getting my windows tinted the tint guy asked me if I wanted him to remove those 4DSC stickers to apply the tint. Of course I said no. I don't think they would fit on my 02 even if I wanted to put them on the little rear window.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:20 PM
93MaximumSE

I still have my original sticker. I'll post it up next time i grab a camera(it's in O.K. condition)

Old 05-21-2007, 04:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Just wondering,have you ever owned/drivin a fully moded VE5 3rd gen?
nope it only has an intake and downpipe. and i love my 3rd gen. i'v fixed and turned her from a pos junker to a respectable car...oh and she is for sale...

the stickers go on next week. all you haters can flame me all you want.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Torgus
nope it only has an intake and downpipe. and i love my 3rd gen. i'v fixed and turned her from a pos junker to a respectable car...oh and she is for sale...

the stickers go on next week. all you haters can flame me all you want.

Where are you going to put them?
Old 05-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Banned

I think you're missing the point.

A Vette or M5 is already a very quick car, and the "gizmos" don't interfere with your driving experience/involvement. A 6th gen is more or less a boat with a decent engine.
you've obviously never driven an m5 where the gizmos DIRECTLY EFFECTS how the vehicle handles.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE

Where are you going to put them?
rear side windows if they fit.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Placement of the sticker is key...

Old 05-21-2007, 07:31 AM

rear side windows if they fit.

They are much smaller than the 2nd Gen windows. I don't think they will fit unless they are smaller decals.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:18 AM

I consider my A32 to handle pretty damn well, although it's no sports car.
Replace A32 with J30 and same is still true which is why this argument is rediculous. People seriously need to step off of their high horses.

I'd really like to see this video though, you have a link?
I'd have to search for the thread.

However, the VE5 is more conducive to a track environment simply because of the powerband. The VQ is all low-midrange, which is great on the street, but there's a reason the VE5 will pull away from a 4th gen on the highway. Add a 00VI, though, and things change a bit.
A VQ with VI makes more power mod for mod. I honestly think going from a VQ to a VE would be a step down, but that's an argument for another thread. A 3rd gen with a VQ would be interesting indeed.

In the context of being ahead of its time, sure the 3rd gen was more impressive. But i could've gone with a 3rd gen and didn't. Probably never will. It's the lack of a VQ and the styling inside and out that turn me off. Our beam has more potential than people give it credit for.

Obviously the VQ's all-aluminum construction will put less weight over the front axle than the VE's iron block/aluminum heads.
I wasn't saying it like you didn't know, but it is what it is. A lighter motor is ALWAYS better for handling purposes especially in an FF configuration.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Banned

adds HP...
Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
STFU n00b!

HAHAHAHAHAH! Nice 6th gen. I like the 3-tone paint job.

.... Holy crap, this thread is still going? I spend a weekend playing at the track, and you guys are still arguing semantics!
Old 05-21-2007, 02:12 PM

I wasn't saying it like you didn't know, but it is what it is.
I wasn't really arguing one way or another, just discussing I suppose.

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
.... Holy crap, this thread is still going? I spend a weekend playing at the track, and you guys are still arguing semantics!
Dood, you called the third gen superior to all later generation Maximas whose owners paid much more for. Of course it's still going.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:24 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Dood, you called the third gen superior to all later generation Maximas whose owners paid much more for. Of course it's still going.
The sticker price of my car new was about $25,000 in 1994..

What are you getting at?

More $$ spent means better car?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:45 PM

People, I love the 3rd gen, my first car was a 93 se 5-speed. I can say that It was a lot more fun, albeit a lot more aggravating to drive. I constantly had problems with the suspention (it was a $500 car, I know they guy who had it before me beat the hell out of it) which wasnt the car's fault. And yes, the car went fast. The first and only time I opened her up I was on 787 and I was at 139 before I let off, and I Know she had more left in her.
She was stock btw. But, my 02 is a lot newer, cleaner, less problematic with mechanical but more problematic with electro-mechanical systems. I loved my 93, as I love my 02. But, I would like to see my 3.5L reach 300k+ miles with no problems, that remains to be seen.
In point, this thread was started as a simple question, which led to a ****e-storm. Let him get his badges, he pay's for the gas, he pay's for the mods, it's his car. I know I'm a noob or whatever, but damn!
Let me ask you people this, If some hard-core 3rd gen-er saw an 4th - 6th gen with the 4DSC sticker on it, would you key it? Would you **** in the gastank? How about balogna on the paint? Probably not, because maxima owners have respect for other maximas. Because all maxima owners love their car as much as 3rd gen-ers, who cares how people show it?
Old 05-21-2007, 08:13 PM

I maintain my position that only 3rd gens deserve to wear the sticker...it is out of place on any other gen, just as a Skyline's "GTR" badge is out of place on a Mustang (I've seen it.) You all will do what you want, so whatever...But I for one will be disappointed if I see 4DSC stickers on anything other than a 3rd gen at Maxus...
Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM
Banned

the sticker fits fine in the rear side window of an 03.
you can see my car at maxus...with the sticker...assuming i finish up my body work that is...
or you'll see my 3rd gen with the sticker.
either way: 4DSC FTMFW
Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by bwinter7
Are you trying to increase your post count?
Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 PM

the sticker fits fine in the rear side window of an 03.
you can see my car at maxus...with the sticker...assuming i finish up my body work that is...
or you'll see my 3rd gen with the sticker.
either way: 4DSC FTMFW
I know the sticker won't fit in the space at the bottom of the small window on the rear door of an 03. You must plan on sticking it in the middle.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:55 PM
Banned

yes i do. right in the middle. with my tinted glass and i'm getting a smoked 4dsc sticker it will not be obvious. those who know what it mean should respect my love for my 3rd gen which i can't have anymore for practicality. those who don't can go eat a ****.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Zero Deuce SE
Are you trying to increase your post count?
Nah, I thought just the 'beating a dead horse' thing applied to this thread. I play by the rules..... mostly
Old 06-15-2007, 10:04 AM
Decal Specialist

I would have to agree with the other 3rd gen guys. A "4DSC" sticker just wouldn't mean the same on anything but a 3rd gen, however I could probably make something compareable if really interested. It would be a die cut decal though. (no clear sticker background)
Old 06-19-2007, 05:55 AM

done tastefully, i wouldnt mind one on my 02 SE... jmho
Old 06-19-2007, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by maxitech
Skyline's "GTR" badge is out of place on a Mustang (I've seen it.)
Who hasn't seen that video?