General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Avoided a serious accident today (long).

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2001, 04:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Went to a wedding today in Manalapan, NJ. Had a good time with the wife, dancing, etc. This was the first Jewish ceremony I had ever attended so it was different and interesting. I only had about 6oz. of beer around noon since I knew I'd be driving home.

Heading home around 5:30pm Northbound on Rte.18 which is a 4-6 lane highway with regular traffic lights. Traffic had been congested but suddenly cleared after a couple of traffic lights. The highway was wide open, 3 lanes and only one car in the middle lane ahead. It was a grey Mercedes 2.5L Turbo sedan with those specialized New Jersey sea-shore license plates "SE 605?" with the 'S' over the 'E' on the left side of the plate. I wish I had my digicam with me so I could show you exactly what it and the car looked like. It's best to avoid this dangerous Maxima-hater.

I accelerated up the middle lane, signaled as I approched the Mercedes and moved into the left lane. Just as I'm about to pass him (on the left), he swerves hard into the left lane. I brake HARD and jerk the wheel to the right, back to the middle lane, tires squealing. The severity of the steering correction caused the car to wiggle within the lane a little but I was able to gain control in short order...a testament to the ability of this car to stick to the road as much as my 17 years of driving experience.

My wife was screaming in a full panic and clutching the armrest and center console until I gained control of the car. She was severely traumatized by a car accident several years ago and she is still suffering from it. Incidents like this REALLY freak her out now. It was only because she begged me not to that I didn't chase this guy down. There's nothing like a blatent and deliberate attempt on your life and the life of your wife to cause road rage.

Ironically, we passed the guy at a normal pace among light traffic further down the road. I didn't look at him for fear of a simple look or gesture from him sending me into a renewed fury. I did get a look at him previously though...he was a white guy probably in his late thirties, oval-shaped head/face and medium build, a little on the heavy side. His hair was dark colored and very short/thin all around. No other people were in his car.

If you ever come across this guy, tell him hello from JJW.

Jim
Old 07-15-2001, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by JJW95SC
Went to a wedding today in Manalapan, NJ. Had a good time with the wife, dancing, etc. This was the first Jewish ceremony I had ever attended so it was different and interesting. I only had about 6oz. of beer around noon since I knew I'd be driving home.

Heading home around 5:30pm Northbound on Rte.18 which is a 4-6 lane highway with regular traffic lights. Traffic had been congested but suddenly cleared after a couple of traffic lights. The highway was wide open, 3 lanes and only one car in the middle lane ahead. It was a grey Mercedes 2.5L Turbo sedan with those specialized New Jersey sea-shore license plates "SE 605?" with the 'S' over the 'E' on the left side of the plate. I wish I had my digicam with me so I could show you exactly what it and the car looked like. It's best to avoid this dangerous Maxima-hater.

I accelerated up the middle lane, signaled as I approched the Mercedes and moved into the left lane. Just as I'm about to pass him (on the left), he swerves hard into the left lane. I brake HARD and jerk the wheel to the right, back to the middle lane, tires squealing. The severity of the steering correction caused the car to wiggle within the lane a little but I was able to gain control in short order...a testament to the ability of this car to stick to the road as much as my 17 years of driving experience.

My wife was screaming in a full panic and clutching the armrest and center console until I gained control of the car. She was severely traumatized by a car accident several years ago and she is still suffering from it. Incidents like this REALLY freak her out now. It was only because she begged me not to that I didn't chase this guy down. There's nothing like a blatent and deliberate attempt on your life and the life of your wife to cause road rage.

Ironically, we passed the guy at a normal pace among light traffic further down the road. I didn't look at him for fear of a simple look or gesture from him sending me into a renewed fury. I did get a look at him previously though...he was a white guy probably in his late thirties, oval-shaped head/face and medium build, a little on the heavy side. His hair was dark colored and very short/thin all around. No other people were in his car.

If you ever come across this guy, tell him hello from JJW.

Jim
I'm somewhat familiar with the area you describe as I have a relative who resides there. Seems like a very busy place at all times, being closer to NYC yet not that far from Philly. For some reason a lot of older, retired looking types too, and plenty of fancy cars.

Not seeing what happened I can't say. But what I notice is lots of time incidents are due to carelessness not road rage. How many times has someone nearly backed up into you without turning their head? IMHO getting cut-off is a fact of life, try the Walt Whitman on the way to the AC Expressway this time of year!! Makes the Holland/Lincoln Tunnels look like childs play!! Don't let those things get to you, they are very annoying and disturbing, but they happen all the time.
Old 07-15-2001, 08:29 PM

i had a similar experience last week

i was driving up I-35 in dallas close to where SH-190 (George Bush expressway) intersects it, and there's a lot of construction still going on there so the right lane was closed right where an onramp is. i was driving up the middle lane, when two big rigs come up the onramp and begin merging into traffic. of course, they were going really slow. the first one didn't see me and cut into my lane. i had no room to slow down and stay in my lane at the same time, so i slammed on the brakes and swerved into the left lane, thinking there wasn't any cars there because the only one i had seen there was about 2 car lengths behind me. but there was a car there i hadn't seen, and he was forced to drive up onto the left shoulder and go around me. i freaked and swerved back right and my max wiggled like you described, and i also was able to gain control fairly quickly like you. i was so scared after that.

man that was a lot of typing.
Old 07-15-2001, 09:42 PM

Good to hear you and the car got out in one piece. I am glad that you and 97Maxgurl (she had a close call in NJ today) are okay. Funny thing is if you check the TL's forum, you'll see many more 'had an accident' posts.
Old 07-15-2001, 11:28 PM

U able to curb ur temper real good if that was me i would have pulled in front of him at the light get out of the car and use my trusty friend(aka.Louisville Slugger) to do a number on his car.
Old 07-17-2001, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by GoLdEn MaX
U able to curb ur temper real good if that was me i would have pulled in front of him at the light get out of the car and use my trusty friend(aka.Louisville Slugger) to do a number on his car.

But then I would be no better than him. Besides, what if he had a gun? Gun beats bat.

Jim
Old 07-17-2001, 06:55 AM
Chick specializing in rounding up 100+ Maximas

Originally posted by JJW95SC
But then I would be no better than him. Besides, what if he had a gun? Gun beats bat.
Jim
It's sad to say drivers in places like LA and Miami pack a piece in their car. I've heard people being shot at for giving the finger (I'm sure Westcoast org members can vouch for that). It's crazy out there. I think Jim and I are just thankful that our driving experience, our sanity and the way our Maximas handled a situation like this kept us alive.