General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

cleaning rims everyday?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2001, 07:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I don't know whether it is the Metal Matrix brake pads or me braking hard from time to time, but the brake dusts are getting on my nerves. Since my Tantrums are new, I want to take care of them. I find myself washing the rims every other day now. They are not extremely dirty, but you still can see the brake dusts. Yesterday, after I washed the rims, it looked pretty clean. Today, after I drove to school, I check out the rims and they already have some brake dusts on them. Darn it! What am I to do? Do any of you wash your rims every other day or maybe even everyday? Would putting some polish on the rims help at all? Last week after washing and drying my rims, I used some Rain X spray that's designed for use on rims. It suppose to make cleaning easier when brake dusts form. All you had to do was to use a garden hose and spray the dusts away. Well, it didn't work! I still needed to use a brush to clean the dusts away. Any ideas or tips? I know it's just not me, I want to keep my rims in top condition. I can even stand a little bit of brake dusts on my rims. Like I said, it's not much, but as long as I can still see it without really trying, it's annoying.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:29 AM

i go through the same thing, however i'd advise you NOT to clean your rims everyday, even though they are new and of good quality, each time you scrub them you are scratching your rims with the brake dust that is on them, i try to clean my rims once a week at most. I don't know of anything you can put on rims to keep brake dust off but try getting EBC Green pads, my cuz has them on his M3 and there is almost no brake dust on his rims ever. I will probably be getting these pads when i do my brakes.

Ant
Old 07-18-2001, 09:08 AM
Administrator

i have white rims
Old 07-18-2001, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by Ant95se
i go through the same thing, however i'd advise you NOT to clean your rims everyday, even though they are new and of good quality, each time you scrub them you are scratching your rims with the brake dust that is on them, i try to clean my rims once a week at most. I don't know of anything you can put on rims to keep brake dust off but try getting EBC Green pads, my cuz has them on his M3 and there is almost no brake dust on his rims ever. I will probably be getting these pads when i do my brakes.

Ant

I plan to get new rotors. So, I might get the EBC Green pads as well. You know where I buy them at? I plan to get the Stillen rotors from Phuong, but I don't think he carries the EBC pads.
Old 07-18-2001, 09:31 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

I'm sick of it...

I got some Bendix IQ semi-metallic pads and they dust like crazy.... my rims develop small layers of dust about 50 - 60 miles of city driving. In 2 days, I need to wash them again. What I do now is put some wax or polish on them after cleaning them, (clean them once a week or so) Then I have a soft cotton cloth which I use to just wipe the rims off the brake dust every few days, it comes off very easy..
Old 07-18-2001, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i use simple green and wash them about once a week, brake dust sucks!
Old 07-18-2001, 11:03 AM

PADS

I need new brake pads NOW and am not tryin to spend the 120 dollars or whatever it is for Porterfields. How do the reg pads from trakauto or pepboys hold up. Apparently they have one ranging from 17-about 40 dollars a pair. The higher end ones have a lifetime warranty. Also, whats the difference performance/durability wise between organic/metallic/and semimetallic? Thanks

Originally posted by BlancMax
i use simple green and wash them about once a week, brake dust sucks!
Old 07-18-2001, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot

I plan to get new rotors. So, I might get the EBC Green pads as well. You know where I buy them at? I plan to get the Stillen rotors from Phuong, but I don't think he carries the EBC pads.
i don't really know who carries them. I always see their ads in Turbo magazine and sport compact car. try searching the web...

Ant
Old 07-18-2001, 03:25 PM

When i got my wheels i asked how to clean them.He said same saop that i wash the car with and wax them also
Old 07-18-2001, 04:16 PM

heh

i wash mine every day, car every 2 days.. call my crazy
Old 07-18-2001, 05:36 PM

Just to let you guys know Brian at Fastbrakes carries EBC's. www.fastbrakes.com I'm about to order 4 slotted rotors for $256 and buy SS lines with EBC Greens. I thought about doing Metal Masters, but I can get everything from Brian. BTW does anyone have any comments on EBC greens?
-hype
Old 07-18-2001, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by xHypex
Just to let you guys know Brian at Fastbrakes carries EBC's. www.fastbrakes.com I'm about to order 4 slotted rotors for $256 and buy SS lines with EBC Greens. I thought about doing Metal Masters, but I can get everything from Brian. BTW does anyone have any comments on EBC greens?
-hype

Thanks for the info. I just emailed them about the EBC Green stuff for my Max. Metal Masters are really good in the terms of braking, I can't argue about that. However, they do produce a good deal of brake dusts.
Old 07-18-2001, 08:41 PM

I've got the EBC greens on my car, they brake very very well. I havn't had any others so I have nothing to compare to, but they have worked for me. Being performance pads they do take a bit to heat them up to operating tempature, but once they do . I havn't gotten them to fade, even while autocrossing and light track use.
Old 07-18-2001, 11:19 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
I don't know whether it is the Metal Matrix brake pads or me braking hard from time to time, but the brake dusts are getting on my nerves. Since my Tantrums are new, I want to take care of them. I find myself washing the rims every other day now. They are not extremely dirty, but you still can see the brake dusts. Yesterday, after I washed the rims, it looked pretty clean. Today, after I drove to school, I check out the rims and they already have some brake dusts on them. Darn it! What am I to do? Do any of you wash your rims every other day or maybe even everyday? Would putting some polish on the rims help at all? Last week after washing and drying my rims, I used some Rain X spray that's designed for use on rims. It suppose to make cleaning easier when brake dusts form. All you had to do was to use a garden hose and spray the dusts away. Well, it didn't work! I still needed to use a brush to clean the dusts away. Any ideas or tips? I know it's just not me, I want to keep my rims in top condition. I can even stand a little bit of brake dusts on my rims. Like I said, it's not much, but as long as I can still see it without really trying, it's annoying.

Try using Meguiars new wheel cleaner in the pruple bottle, that stuff is pretty good. I recommened cleaning the wheels once a week but after you clean them wax them with a nice coat. Then every other day or so, just clean them with a simple wet towel. Works well for me.
Old 07-19-2001, 04:34 AM
Master Will

I wash them off or wipe them off every other day...

and 2 times a month I jack my car up and take each rim off and clean it inside and out....yeah...I do...
Old 07-19-2001, 10:44 AM

Re: I wash them off or wipe them off every other day...

Originally posted by metallic97gxe
and 2 times a month I jack my car up and take each rim off and clean it inside and out....yeah...I do...
I do that too! Everybody thinks I just bought a brand new car eventhough the car is three years old.