General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Drag Racing Question: Wheels/Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2001, 08:28 AM
ejj
Donating Maxima.org Member

So, I'm in the market for another set of Steel Wheels from a 4th gen GXE (anyone got a pair they don't use?) for drag racing.

Now, I don't think that I want to go with all out slicks, but I was thinking of getting a nice set of Z (or H) rated tires or maybe some drag radials.

What would you guys suggest? These would only be for the track, and the drive to and from. What size? 205/65-15? Something taller?
Old 07-20-2001, 08:35 AM

Originally posted by ejj5875
So, I'm in the market for another set of Steel Wheels from a 4th gen GXE (anyone got a pair they don't use?) for drag racing.

Now, I don't think that I want to go with all out slicks, but I was thinking of getting a nice set of Z (or H) rated tires or maybe some drag radials.

What would you guys suggest? These would only be for the track, and the drive to and from. What size? 205/65-15?
If these are only for the track and you'll be swapping thwem every time then why not go ahead and invest in some slicks? They're perfect for what you want and I know a lot of people who drop their times handidly.
Old 07-20-2001, 08:38 AM
ejj

Originally posted by Ironlord

If these are only for the track and you'll be swapping thwem every time then why not go ahead and invest in some slicks? They're perfect for what you want and I know a lot of people who drop their times handidly.
Well, 1 I don't want to have to change tire there. I don't really want to leave my rims laying around there either...I guess I could bring a chain and lock for them. And 2, I'm not sure if the extra stress caused by the slick would fry my clutch way faster. I don't really want that.

Anyone know where you can buy/price slicks online?
Old 07-20-2001, 08:58 AM

You may want to consider going with a low profile tire. Going from a 205/65 to a 205/50 will reduce the circumfrence (and effective gear ratio) by 10.5%.

I would stay away from factory steel wheels and find a pair of aluminum rims somewhere like Ebay or the junk yard. Not only will they be considerably lighter, but you can get a wider rim and mount a wider tire.

If you choose to go with a street tire, don't waste your money on a Z rated one.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:14 AM
ejj

Originally posted by sinewave
You may want to consider going with a low profile tire. Going from a 205/65 to a 205/50 will reduce the circumfrence (and effective gear ratio) by 10.5%.
Interesting. I've been told that taller tires are better for drag racing because they have more grip off the line.

I would stay away from factory steel wheels and find a pair of aluminum rims somewhere like Ebay or the junk yard. Not only will they be considerably lighter, but you can get a wider rim and mount a wider tire.
Eh, I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this. I don't race that often, but I feel that these 17"'s are killing me. I have my steel wheels with snow tires on them, and the car feels a heck of a lot faster than the 17's.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:48 AM

I got a pair of 16" X 7.5" alum. rims on Ebay for ~$75 shipped. Just 2 rims usually don't get a whole lot of bidders because most people want 4.

As for a taller tires, I don't have any track data to back up my theories but a shorter tire will require more engine revs for the same speed. This means that the car will accelerate quicker IF you can get traction.

I don't understand why a taller tire would have more grip, except for the fact that there is less mechanical advantage for the engine to rotate them. It would seem like a taller tire would bog down the engine, which is the last thing you need in an alreadly highway-geared Maxima.
Old 07-20-2001, 09:59 AM
ejj

I got a pair of 16" X 7.5" alum. rims on Ebay for ~$75 shipped. Just 2 rims usually don't get a whole lot of bidders because most people want 4.

As for a taller tires, I don't have any track data to back up my theories but a shorter tire will require more engine revs for the same speed. This means that the car will accelerate quicker IF you can get traction.

I don't understand why a taller tire would have more grip, except for the fact that there is less mechanical advantage for the engine to rotate them. It would seem like a taller tire would bog down the engine, which is the last thing you need in an alreadly highway-geared Maxima.
Really, do you have the link to the auction?
Old 07-20-2001, 04:25 PM

I bought the rims about a year ago. Just do a filtered search about once a week and be patient. Just about every mod I have on my car I got through Ebay.

If you have never been there, you are really missing something, it's like a nation-wide garage sale!

http://www.ebay.com
Old 07-20-2001, 06:44 PM
Administrator

get drag radials and dump the clutch
Old 07-21-2001, 09:18 AM
ejj

I bought the rims about a year ago. Just do a filtered search about once a week and be patient. Just about every mod I have on my car I got through Ebay.

If you have never been there, you are really missing something, it's like a nation-wide garage sale!

http://www.ebay.com
No, I've been to Ebay...I was asking for a link to your auction...I was gonna check your wheels out.