General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

---===you All Are Wasting Money (flame Me Plz)===---

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 11:25 AM
tha_kwak

Hi guys.

Just in case you guys didnt realize it...All of you who are modding up your cars with superchargers, shocks, etc etc, are just wasting money.

ALL CARS DEPRECIATE!!!

There are much better things to put your hard earned cash into.

such as...

1) Your Lady (or Guy...whatever your preference)
2) Bank
3) College Fund
4) Roth IRA
5) Charles Schwab or Mutual Portfoilio
6) Stocks (they are very low right now...get them before the lowered interest rates really kick in)
7) did I say Stocks?
8) oh yeh! can't forget stocks

(---===Because I save 35% of my pay and place into various funds, accounts, etc...I will have and estimated 12.5 million for retirement by the age of 50..which means a 2 million dolla house, and 10 million worth of cars and planes===---)

!!! just started saying this stuff afer realizing how much cash I dished out on the dam car...!!!

OK! FLAME ME NOW!!!

It's BARBEQUE TIME!

Old 07-21-2001, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by tha_kwak
Hi guys.

Just in case you guys didnt realize it...All of you who are modding up your cars with superchargers, shocks, etc etc, are just wasting money.

ALL CARS DEPRECIATE!!!

such as...

2) Bank
3) College Fund
4) Roth IRA
6) Stocks (they are very low right now...get them before the lowered interest rates really kick in)
7) did I say Stocks?

(---===Because I save 35% of my pay and place into various funds, accounts, etc...I will have and estimated 12.5 million for retirement by the age of 50..which means a 2 million dolla house, and 10 million worth of cars and planes===---)

!!! just started saying this stuff afer realizing how much cash I dished out on the dam car...!!!

OK! FLAME ME NOW!!!

It's BARBEQUE TIME!

NO! NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

your changing my life! I dont want to goto college!!!!!
Old 07-21-2001, 11:34 AM

It's my money and I will do what I want to keep me happy.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:36 AM

life's too short to save money :)

stocks, are you crazy! i've wasted more money in stocks than on my Max...damn Alan Greenspan, i wish i could run him over.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:38 AM

Damn, now he tells me. I'm dropping everything now. The_Kwak, some of us have enough money to invest AND mod our cars.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:44 AM
tha_kwak

So far so good...

KEEP UP THE DEFENSE!!!

My friends and even my Mom are yelling at me constantly becuase I am already buying the 2002 Maxima as soon as it comes out!!

I CANT STOP SPENDING MONEY!

Old 07-21-2001, 11:45 AM

Ditto

I've lost quite a sum of money (in the thousands) this past month in the market. Economy's gone to crap for now, but it's a total buyer's market. I bought quite a bit this month since things are low with prospects that things will get back on course.

Funny thing is that my smog technician yesterday was telling me that you can only be a teenager (or around that age) once. Once you hit 50 with the kids getting out of college, you finally have money for yourself. But it's just too old to hang with the other kiddies.

Everyone invests. Some people put money in the market, accounts, cars, and like me...I eat most of my investments. People wouldn't invest in want they spend unless they see a personal or economical gain.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:08 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: Ditto

You guys don't have the right brokers There's always a bull market going on. You just have to find it.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medicsonic
Damn, now he tells me. I'm dropping everything now. The_Kwak, some of us have enough money to invest AND mod our cars.

Hey, good response. Yeh! What he said!!
Old 07-21-2001, 12:36 PM

Re: Ditto

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
I've lost quite a sum of money (in the thousands) this past month in the market. Economy's gone to crap for now, but it's a total buyer's market. I bought quite a bit this month since things are low with prospects that things will get back on course.
You've only LOST money if you sold and locked in those losses. Otherwise, you still have 100% of what you bought.
Old 07-21-2001, 12:46 PM

Re: Re: Ditto

So I guess we're not allowed to have hobbies? You must be a boring person. It's not that sweet when you have to wait until you 60-70 dead to enjoy your life.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:09 PM
tha_kwak

So far so good...

KEEP UP THE DEFENSE!!!

My friends and even my Mom are yelling at me constantly becuase I am already buying the 2002 Maxima as soon as it comes out!!

Old 07-21-2001, 01:11 PM

Re: Re: Ditto2

Originally posted by NickStam
You guys don't have the right brokers There's always a bull market going on. You just have to find it.
Um.. yes, but it has nothing to do with a broker. Maybe a good advisor, but .. brokers aren't very good advisors.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Ditto2

Originally posted by MaineI30

Um.. yes, but it has nothing to do with a broker. Maybe a good advisor, but .. brokers aren't very good advisors.
What? Explain that.
Old 07-21-2001, 01:29 PM

thats true can only be a teenager once. why should i even save my money when i only make like 400-500 bux every 2 weeks. i waste all my money on my car and i know it dosent increase the value of it. guess what i dont care cause modding my car is fun as he11 and like my parents even told me enjoy it while i can cause soon i have college and living cost and wont have money to do things like this.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:10 PM

saving for retirement...

why would i want all that money when i'm a senior citizen? i doubt i'll enjoy it at that age, i mean its good that you're saving money, but spend some of it. spend it on crap and stupidness, thats life, live and learn. i'm only 19, thats why i'm not saving for retirement, but in a few years i will. but until then, i'm spending it baby(when i get some )
Old 07-21-2001, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If that's true, what you doing on this board then? If your Maxima is just simply for going here and there, you could save more money by buying a cheaper car oppose to getting a Maxima. Since you're not into "modding". Btw, aren't you wasting your money by buying those rims(if you bought them already) you said your friend was going to hook you up with? While you got it at a reasonable price, it's still a waste of money from what you are telling us.
Old 07-21-2001, 03:31 PM

Mods are for suckers.

Dont worry... ill have over a million by age 35 Well ok so im dreaming.
Old 07-21-2001, 04:44 PM
tha_kwak

this is going great.
I enjoy the flames...lots of them are backed up by mature and understandable responses.

B.T.W. my parents have been nagging me cuz i am getting the 2002 max Se with all options once it comes out, and selling the 2001 Se Anniversary Edition with SC, HID Conversion, Neon Ground Effects, 18in Verdicts with toyo wraps, headlight strobes, strobes in bumper and corner lights, PIAA all around, custom chrome valence and grill, and a mini-disco ball hanging from the dome with a bright "indian" light setup pointing right at it.
(BTW, for those that dont know, the Anniversary edition comes with a 10in sub, stillen rsb,fstb,and stillen body kit)

FLAME ON!

Old 07-21-2001, 04:57 PM

spend your cash all you want as a teen...

start spending wisely when your in your 20's

then MOD your children when your in the 30's
Old 07-21-2001, 06:15 PM

I bet you don't go to t!tty bars either!
Old 07-21-2001, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by medicsonic
Word!!!! I know one thing, I never have made the money that I make now and when I want something, I get it.

The_Kwak: Your peeps should look at it this way: If you work really hard for your cash, you should be able to do what you want with it. Have fun now while you are alive. Just remember something else, you must save some for the future also.
Old 07-21-2001, 11:24 PM
PhatGuy

---===You are wasting bandwidth===---

This thread is a waste of bandwidth like most of your lousy posts! No flame just straight up!

PS Sorry to everyone else since I added to this useless thread.

Old 07-22-2001, 12:08 AM

for some like me, depreciating value doesn't mean a thing for the max, because i tend to drive it to the ground, most of my mods are stereo related, and they can come out real easily and can go on the next car i get. the stock market is very unpredictable, even the great traders fall hard when the market crashes, some just don't knwo when to pull out, once you see a dollar you want five more dollars, then once u see the five dollar bill you want the 10 dollar bill and once u see 100 you want thousands, and it goes on and on, we are human, it's rare for a human to be completely saticefied with life, so how much is enough, will always be a mystery. having alot of money won't make me happy, being able to spend each penny reasonably on something i like is one penny very well spent and will bring pride into my spending. I much prefer earning my money the more predictable way, if i had the extra money to toss around in stock i would, but like many people, i'm not fortunate enough to afford the potential loss the market might have to offer.
Old 07-22-2001, 12:23 AM

I don't eat or sleep just so I can save enough money for retirement and gas so I can have fun without worrying.

Whatever I have left at the end of the month I save up for future mods
Old 07-22-2001, 10:09 AM

5 qts Mobil 1 sythetic...$25
Cattman Y-pipe...........$400
Stillen SC...............$3500
Enjoying The Ride........Priceless
Old 07-22-2001, 11:33 AM

you better be reading this..everyone knows that cars depreciate. duh!? People mod their cars to make their cars perform better and make their cars more custom.. In my opinion, i rather spend my $$ on my car than on a girl??!! common, a car doesnt talk back to you, nag, etc. putting money in a bank? well yeah, you would be making a little money like a few bucks a year..Point is, people are not going to flame at you..modifying cars is a hobby, thats why their are drag strips and professionals out there driving b/c it is the love of motorsport!!vrrom vroom!! have fun and drive safely
Old 07-22-2001, 02:22 PM
DurableMax

Hi guys.

ALL CARS DEPRECIATE!!!

such as...

2) Bank
3) College Fund
4) Roth IRA
7) did I say Stocks?

OK! FLAME ME NOW!!!

It's BARBEQUE TIME!
__________________________________________________ __________

I will not flame ya! I agree with you 100% The list that you have given was great, I actually did about 4 of the things from your list when I sold my other car. Cars are great and I am grateful that there are lots of enthusiast out there, but once in a while we do tend to get carried away with our cars, specially when it becomes the number ONE priority and everything else becomes secondary in our time or life. IMO cars are hardly an investment, there's a huge tendency of losing a whole lot of money when you spend more or when your car cost more (regardless of the marque of the car).

But some people happens to get full satisfaction and happiness when they spend money on their cars, many friends of mine happens to be among them. We should respect that completely (hey whatever floats their boat). They rationalize about life being short (way short) and that they spend their money on cars because that's what satifies them. Let's just look at it this way, some people spend a whole lot of money on vacations (I do) and I only come back with some everlasting memories though other people may not see it in that perspective. Truth is, we all have different priorities and systems that we work upon, what works for us may not work for them, or vise versa. I say, " Spending your money wisely, is spending it on things that satisfy and meet your needs."

Old 07-22-2001, 06:24 PM
OG and counting...

I am going to say it like this.....

Like Medicsonic said, we have enough to invest and play with our cars. It just takes the right timing and patience to find the correct deal on what you want.

In my case, I may own a 3rd Gen but I do intend to modify it so that I can enjoy my car to the fullest. But also, I plan to invest and continue my education so that my earning power will be increased and I will be prepared for large events in my life (e.g. marriage). Life's too darn short not to enjoy it!!
Old 07-22-2001, 06:50 PM

there's no need to flame you

Hi guys.

ALL CARS DEPRECIATE!!!

such as...

2) Bank
3) College Fund
4) Roth IRA
7) did I say Stocks?

OK! FLAME ME NOW!!!

It's BARBEQUE TIME!
You made some intelligent posts. Cars are in general a waste of money. That's why some of us have Maximas and not 530i's like we'd really like.

You touched upon opportunity costs--you spend on one thing you give up another. But I would say two biggies are maxing out the 401k (15% if your employer allows it some don't in order to keep the plan qualified) and saving 25% of your net income. It's very important to keep at least 25% of your annual salary in pure cash, like a money market.

The flip side is you have to have some enjoyment, because many things we do are wastes of money: going to the shore every weekend in the summer, going to hockey games, donating money to good causes, modding cars. So one has to walk a fine line and do what he/she feels comfortable with. You wanna get down to it, how many years have you paid insurance but made no claims whatsoever? Couldn't you have saved by not getting insurance beyond liability? But sometimes we need to satisfy our brains, like getting strut braces, rims, shocks, mp3, even superchargers.

But you have walked the walk so there is no reason to flame you!
Old 07-22-2001, 10:10 PM

kwak: another max?
Old 07-23-2001, 03:42 AM

So far so good...

KEEP UP THE DEFENSE!!!

You are doing a good job of keeping the economy strong - somebody has to!

wdave
Old 07-23-2001, 05:28 AM

What do you mean cars aren't an investment? The F&F Max has $75k put into it(supposedly. I bet he could sell it for $100k.
Old 07-23-2001, 05:13 PM
pjalst

Ha HA

You'll probably drop dead early of some accident or desease and your family or the government can spend your money.

Old 07-24-2001, 05:51 AM

Wouldn't it be funny if you accumulated the $12.5 million...

...and got ran over by a car on your 50 birthday?
Old 07-24-2001, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

hmmmm if everything made perfect sensible sense we'd be driving Honda Civic CVTs with an 80mph speed limiter.. live in group housing... eat all the same food... all wear the same clothes...
its a hobby... its something to play with... yes its money... but if everything made monetary sense you wouldnt buy shiet for your loved ones you'd invest it... and in 50yrs time you'll have millions of dollars... to buy a civic