General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

What do you think of this idea(look inside)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 05:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This idea is for when you run into the unexpected races or any races in general. When you race, if you have the a/c on, you have to turn it off. We all know that, but we also know that it can get hot too whenever we turn the a/c off, especially down here in the South. You can roll down your windows, but I heard by doing that, you create "resistance"? Anyway, I thought, what if I place a small fan on the top, right in front of the steering wheel. That would give me some cool air and I won't get as hot. I only turn this on whenever I turn the a/c off to race, but won't be as hot doing so. I know this sounds like a corny idea. Anyway, this is just one of the crazy idea that I have. Right now, whenever I run into "race" situation, I would turn off the a/c and just roll down the window. However, as some of you know, even rolling down the window, it doesn't mean you'll be any cooler. The weather sometimes can be worse(hotter) outside than if you have the a/c off with your windows up. If any of you have a better idea, let me know. I know this idea is somewhat of a "WTF" type of idea. Okay, I'm done now. *me cleaning up all the empty bottles of beer*
Old 07-28-2001, 05:54 PM

How about just the vent. That only uses electrical power.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by young1976
How about just the vent. That only uses electrical power.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Cumalot
This idea is for when you run into the unexpected races or any races in general. When you race, if you have the a/c on, you have to turn it off. We all know that, but we also know that it can get hot too whenever we turn the a/c off, especially down here in the South. You can roll down your windows, but I heard by doing that, you create "resistance"? Anyway, I thought, what if I place a small fan on the top, right in front of the steering wheel. That would give me some cool air and I won't get as hot. I only turn this on whenever I turn the a/c off to race, but won't be as hot doing so. I know this sounds like a corny idea. Anyway, this is just one of the crazy idea that I have. Right now, whenever I run into "race" situation, I would turn off the a/c and just roll down the window. However, as some of you know, even rolling down the window, it doesn't mean you'll be any cooler. The weather sometimes can be worse(hotter) outside than if you have the a/c off with your windows up. If any of you have a better idea, let me know. I know this idea is somewhat of a "WTF" type of idea. Okay, I'm done now. *me cleaning up all the empty bottles of beer*
how long does ur race usually last? no flames here just want to know! cuz when i race it last no longer then 30 seconds at most.....not that much of a heat factor to have the a/c off for that long...
Old 07-28-2001, 06:09 PM
PhatGuy

On 2k+ the AC compressor shuts off at WOT. Not sure of the years prior?

Old 07-28-2001, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
I learn new things every day
Old 07-28-2001, 06:39 PM

the 98+ Quest has this same feature which i also just found out. BTW, this idea is not so useful, Because putting down the windows reduces drag. Thats why if your in a street or drag race, the people immediately put the windows up.
Old 07-28-2001, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

the 98+ Quest has this same feature which i also just found out. BTW, this idea is not so useful, Because putting down the windows reduces drag. Thats why if your in a street or drag race, the people immediately put the windows up.
Wouldn't it increase drag? Not reduce it...
Old 07-28-2001, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by gtr_rider

Umm, I thing you meant to say it increases drag.
Old 07-28-2001, 08:25 PM

what abt sunroof?, does it increase drag?
Old 07-28-2001, 08:32 PM

A/c,on or off!

Nice ride, nice wheels they look familiar. C'mon how much time you spend @ red line? Shut it down & deal w/ it!
Old 07-29-2001, 09:17 AM

See...I knew it was a corny idea. I expected responses like these. It's cool though, I'm sober now and I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:24 AM
Kevlo for President

i think all 4th gens have it too
Old 07-29-2001, 03:14 PM

Corny idea's

See...I knew it was a corny idea. I expected responses like these. It's cool though, I'm sober now and I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that.
I hear ya brugh! Often I'll wake up and clear away the cobwebs, put the pieces of the puzzle back together. then try to figure what the hell I was thinking!
Old 07-29-2001, 04:55 PM

Shouldn't really matter. Like people said, AC compressor shuts off at WOT, so if you really are racing full tilt, having AC on or off makes no difference.

I think most cars in the last ten years shut off the AC at high engine load. I know this was true for the 1990 Corolla, since that was when I first learned about it.
Old 07-29-2001, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I think the a/c compressor does shuts off at WOT, but isn't there a lag in that? It doesn't shut off immediately, I don't think. I guess the best thing to do is to just drive how I normally drive, with a/c on. If I happen to get into a race(sometimes it's hard to say because you don't know if the guy wants to go or not), I just race like that, if I lose, I lose.
Old 07-29-2001, 09:24 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by kevlo911

i think all 4th gens have it too
now that you mention it i think your right, when i was on the ride home from dc today i noticed warmer air out of the vents when i was racing down the highway at WOT.