General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Everyone with a Y-pipe - what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 07:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm replacing my Warpspeed Y-pipe. I'm most likely getting the Cattman but I wanted to know how many people have had problems with the flex section?
Also, has anyone had a problem with the stillen Y-pipe?

Cattman or Stillen - price is not the issue, I just want a quality Y-pipe that works and doesn't make tons of noise.

**and yes I did a search, but I want a straight comparison of the two Y-pipes**
Old 07-30-2001, 07:24 PM
Administrator

go with the cattman
Old 07-30-2001, 07:25 PM
Ford Only.

Why? WSP will have the new lined section soon!
Old 07-30-2001, 07:27 PM

My cattman makes no bees in a can No promblems yet
Old 07-30-2001, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by dmontzmax
its called frustration.. and i feel how Bry feels also
Old 07-30-2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
Sorry to bust your bubble, but I have the new flex section. It is true that it removes the loud noise (but my flex section had a leak) but the problem with it is that it's too flexible.

It expands and contracts on itself, and it makes the engine feel like it's running hard.
Ex. I put my hand against the exhaust, if the engine is reved air is pushed out, but once the gas is let go, there is a extended time where there is NO exhaust. You can feel pulses of air when you rev the engine.

If I get under the car and watch the flex, I can actually see it expanding and contracting.
Old 07-30-2001, 09:40 PM

Originally posted by breaux124

Sorry to bust your bubble, but I have the new flex section. It is true that it removes the loud noise (but my flex section had a leak) but the problem with it is that it's too flexible.

It expands and contracts on itself, and it makes the engine feel like it's running hard.
Ex. I put my hand against the exhaust, if the engine is reved air is pushed out, but once the gas is let go, there is a extended time where there is NO exhaust. You can feel pulses of air when you rev the engine.

If I get under the car and watch the flex, I can actually see it expanding and contracting.
Bryan:
If one were to put their hand behind any exhaust pipe and the engine were revved up then the gas let off, it would do the same thing briefly, there would be lots of exhaust followed up with a short period of little or no exhaust. If you are getting pulses of exhaust that probably explains the laboring, sounds like a bad valve or something in the engine.

All the new lined flex section we use does is reduce or eliminate the turbulence inside the flex section, because it reduces or eliminates the turbulence there is no noise. The stock Nissan flex section is nearly 12" long, ours is about 8", if you examined the flex section before it was installed you would not have been able to bend it more than 1/2" to 3/4". Even though they flex it is not much and they do not totally collapse even when you let off the gas.

SprintMax: Since neither your email or name is in any of the posts or your profile I have no clue as to who you are or what your problem or frustration is or was. If you send an email or call you might mention your name. I am not real good at guessing names based on forum handles, we sure try to deal with frustrations when we know who you are. No offense intended.

Dallas

WarpSpeed Performance
Old 07-31-2001, 12:06 AM

so which one has the best performance gain (dyno if possible)...cattman, stillen, or warpseed? i need to know! i am getting one very soon.
Old 07-31-2001, 04:21 AM
Master Will

I have the STILLEN..............

and it bolted right up fine....and I love the response....more power and quality....this is my first and only one I have had so I cannot compare the Cattman or WSP
Old 07-31-2001, 07:43 AM

I guess I'm getting the Cattman. If I go for a Stillen it'll take much longer.

Thanks for everyone's opinions and help
Old 07-31-2001, 08:15 AM

I just put my Warpspeed Y-Pipe on yesterday. God that one bolt in front of the pre-cat , passenger side was impossible to get off. Anyhow, I have acquired some header wrap and will try to get it on today. The noise is unbearable right now and I am not certain it is going to stay if the sound is not greatly reduced by the wrap.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by WizzaMax
I just put my Warpspeed Y-Pipe on yesterday. God that one bolt in front of the pre-cat , passenger side was impossible to get off. Anyhow, I have acquired some header wrap and will try to get it on today. The noise is unbearable right now and I am not certain it is going to stay if the sound is not greatly reduced by the wrap.
Another Satisfied Warpspeed customer

BTW: I getting the cattman and I'm looking for two others, see my post in the for sale section.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:55 AM
Ford Only.

If you dont like the sound of modified exhaust.Do not modify it whenever you mess with your exhaust you are going to get more noise.Because Nissan restricts every thing stock so it is so damn quite.That one little tweak you have noise.I love my WSP Y the price,quality,and performance was all there.I saved atleast $100 going there then to stillen or cattman.Besides like I have said before I emailed cattman about 2 years ago 3 times in a period of 1-2 weeks and still have got no response.I can call Dallas and he will talk to me for a while and answer all my questions I even talked to him at like 10:00pm before.And when I email him I usually get a response within 12 hours.WSP owns!