General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A much much cheaper skyline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2001, 05:35 PM

Hey guys, I want to get a Skyline, I know that in Japan their price is much cheaper. But the price has been jacked up by motorex once they reached the US shore.

I have been thinking about this, can I just import one from Japan and not use it on the street? I just want to import one to Canada, so I don't need insurance. Can I do that?

Also, do I have to pay tax if this car is being imported?

I figured a way with other people at school to make some big money, so money should not be an issue if its under 40 grand. I am serious about this.
Old 07-31-2001, 06:08 PM
Disco Biscuit

Unless you ONLY use the Skyline for shows, driving less than 1000 miles a year, the Skyline isnt legal n the US. It doesnt meet US safety regulations. Motorex has done alot of work to test them, and update them to meet US codes. Thats why the price is so high....
Old 07-31-2001, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Whitemax
Unless you ONLY use the Skyline for shows, driving less than 1000 miles a year, the Skyline isnt legal n the US. It doesnt meet US safety regulations. Motorex has done alot of work to test them, and update them to meet US codes. Thats why the price is so high....
I am not going to drive it in street, just for show and track use. Most of the time, it just sits in our 4 cars garege.

I have a couch in our garege because we spent so much time waxing our cars.....
Old 07-31-2001, 07:15 PM
Disco Biscuit

Well I guess then you could just buy one from Japan and ship it over.
Old 07-31-2001, 08:44 PM

Tried it...

I saw a listing for an R33 used for about $5500 US in Japan. I told my friend about it and we called them up and the guy barely spoke English enough to understand what we wanted to do. He laughed at us, saying it's not going to happen and they won't do it. Shipping a car is hard work, you can't just call up UPS and ask them to pick it up. It's also real expensive. A brand new R34 in Japan (I think, don't quote me) is around $45,000 in US, the way I figured it at the time. (this was last year so who knows) and then thousands of dollars more to ship the car... Then thousands of dollars more for performance parts... Then thousands more for a car trailer since you can't drive it on the street... Sorry, it ain't going to happen. The R34 is my dream car. I don't want any Jag or Ferrari. I want Godzilla. Nobody's more sad about it than me.
Old 07-31-2001, 09:28 PM

Re: Tried it...

Originally posted by SithMax
I saw a listing for an R33 used for about $5500 US in Japan. I told my friend about it and we called them up and the guy barely spoke English enough to understand what we wanted to do. He laughed at us, saying it's not going to happen and they won't do it. Shipping a car is hard work, you can't just call up UPS and ask them to pick it up. It's also real expensive. A brand new R34 in Japan (I think, don't quote me) is around $45,000 in US, the way I figured it at the time. (this was last year so who knows) and then thousands of dollars more to ship the car... Then thousands of dollars more for performance parts... Then thousands more for a car trailer since you can't drive it on the street... Sorry, it ain't going to happen. The R34 is my dream car. I don't want any Jag or Ferrari. I want Godzilla. Nobody's more sad about it than me.

yeah right, if I can get the car for 3000 bucks, I can still pay for shipping no matter how much it is! I mean 2000 for shipping is fine with me.

Even if I can't get this car from those bastards, I can still call up motorex. Calling motorex is my option if I run out of other ideas.
Old 07-31-2001, 11:18 PM

Yes, japanesevehicles.com said that they would do it. Here's the details:

Thank you for message

Please contact the Canadian customs and local authority for the import requirements. I think you will need an import licence
Best to be sure first from your side that you are allowed to import for off road use ?? This will help us too.

We will be able to export out of Japan , but is up to yourself to convince, comply with import requirements

Payment by Bank Transfer is best ,ie Bank to Bank

Yours Sincerely

Paul O`Brien
Old 07-31-2001, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by LoveSick
Yes, japanesevehicles.com said that they would do it. Here's the details:

Why do you want a car that you can only drive it for 2 tanks of gas every year? It's expensive to import one here to Canada. It's even more expensive to maintain one. There are no parts avalible, no warranty, no one with experience with it, and very few techician that will work with it. Also, insurance is a big concern. It's like you need to spend a few k every month to just keep it inside your garage. Also, prepared to pay like 150% taxes on the car since it's CANADA.
Old 08-01-2001, 01:14 AM

I don't think you understand that even though the car is not street legal, that doesn't mean you can drive it just not on the street. If you're going to just half *** drag race it for fun, you'll still need insurance, otherwise if that irreplacable car with very very expensive parts is smashed or stolen, you're screwed. And insurance will be sky high on a not street legal car, that doesn't meet safety requirements and shouldn't exist in the country. And they're going to limit the number of miles you're allowed to put on the car regardless of where you accumulate them. Some will even want proof (ie, actually want to see and inspect) your car trailer to prove you don't drive it to and from track and car shows and take pictures of your odometer. Plus, there's import taxes on automobiles, at least here in the US. You ever hear of a tarriff? $2000 maybe to get somebody to toss it on a boat and bring it over for you (I personally think that sounds too cheap), but several thousand dollars more just to take it off the boat. Maybe it's different for you Canuks but that's the way it is for us Yanks. You get pulled over on the street in that thing and you risk losing your car and your license, but definately your insurance. (Again, I'm in the US, traffic laws may be harsher or weaker up there.) And if you're serious about getting into the racing circuit, good luck getting it to meet THEIR safety regulations. I don't know what it is for drag racing (a silly non-sport sport, kinda like darts in my eyes but doubly as fun) but for real racing there are very strict safety guidelines, which will mean very severe modifications to the car. And as somebody else pointed out earlier, good luck getting somebody to do all the custom work on that car that you and your car waxing buddies can't do. You'll need to go to an import specialty shop, who'll charge you out the ying yang. Plus you'll have to pay extra and wait longer to get any performance parts since they're all out of the country. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it really isn't doable. And calling MotoRex is useless, unless you plan on buying their modifided import version. Go to their homepage and read their FAQ. http://www.skylinegtr.com/ You'll see they don't import cars without conforming them to DOT spec and they have no idea if they're legal in Canada. The cheapest GT-R they have in stock right now is a 92 with 38,000 miles for $36,800. The reason it only has 38,000 miles? Japan has very very strict emissions tests which must be done every year. So anybody who drives fast cars (especially turboed) and drives them hard, will probably wind up not being able to pass inspection and so they just buy a new car and get rid of the old one. There are lots of used cars for sale over there all with about the same milage. So basically you know the car was beat to hell. Another thing to keep in mind, Right side drive. This is more or less trivial, but it's something to consider. The steering wheel is on the wrong side, you'll have to shift lefty. And not being able to put lots of miles on the car will make it even harder to learn or develop any skill doing. Life's a *****, man. And with the EPA emissions standards doubling over the next few years, the chance of the US (and for the most part North America as a whole) of ever seeing any truly great cars (EVO VII, GT-R, RX-7, etc.) is nil. Honestly, this whole thing comes off as being rude, but it's all stuff that I ran into myself when I was scheming to bring one over and keep it hidden in my own garage. I figured, get my hands on some cash or a loan or something, spend the $6000 on the car, and whatever to get it here and then just hide it away in the garage to tinker with and occasionally tear people a new one at the track. But honestly, it's a big hassle and will cost a fortune. If you have the money and the patience and the connections and the time and the luck then I say go for it and if you do get one, I want to be there when you pick it up. I'm serious. I'll go on an international roadtrip with my buddies to go visit you and your new toy because you'd be living my dream. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:10 AM

DAAAMMMNNNN!! where's chapter 2 !?!?! 8)

I don't think you understand that even though the car is not street legal, that doesn't mean you can drive it just not on the street. If you're going to just half *** drag race it for fun, you'll still need insurance, otherwise if that irreplacable car with very very expensive parts is smashed or stolen, you're screwed. And insurance will be sky high on a not street legal car, that doesn't meet safety requirements and shouldn't exist in the country. And they're going to limit the number of miles you're allowed to put on the car regardless of where you accumulate them. Some will even want proof (ie, actually want to see and inspect) your car trailer to prove you don't drive it to and from track and car shows and take pictures of your odometer. Plus, there's import taxes on automobiles, at least here in the US. You ever hear of a tarriff? $2000 maybe to get somebody to toss it on a boat and bring it over for you (I personally think that sounds too cheap), but several thousand dollars more just to take it off the boat. Maybe it's different for you Canuks but that's the way it is for us Yanks. You get pulled over on the street in that thing and you risk losing your car and your license, but definately your insurance. (Again, I'm in the US, traffic laws may be harsher or weaker up there.) And if you're serious about getting into the racing circuit, good luck getting it to meet THEIR safety regulations. I don't know what it is for drag racing (a silly non-sport sport, kinda like darts in my eyes but doubly as fun) but for real racing there are very strict safety guidelines, which will mean very severe modifications to the car. And as somebody else pointed out earlier, good luck getting somebody to do all the custom work on that car that you and your car waxing buddies can't do. You'll need to go to an import specialty shop, who'll charge you out the ying yang. Plus you'll have to pay extra and wait longer to get any performance parts since they're all out of the country. I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it really isn't doable. And calling MotoRex is useless, unless you plan on buying their modifided import version. Go to their homepage and read their FAQ. http://www.skylinegtr.com/ You'll see they don't import cars without conforming them to DOT spec and they have no idea if they're legal in Canada. The cheapest GT-R they have in stock right now is a 92 with 38,000 miles for $36,800. The reason it only has 38,000 miles? Japan has very very strict emissions tests which must be done every year. So anybody who drives fast cars (especially turboed) and drives them hard, will probably wind up not being able to pass inspection and so they just buy a new car and get rid of the old one. There are lots of used cars for sale over there all with about the same milage. So basically you know the car was beat to hell. Another thing to keep in mind, Right side drive. This is more or less trivial, but it's something to consider. The steering wheel is on the wrong side, you'll have to shift lefty. And not being able to put lots of miles on the car will make it even harder to learn or develop any skill doing. Life's a *****, man. And with the EPA emissions standards doubling over the next few years, the chance of the US (and for the most part North America as a whole) of ever seeing any truly great cars (EVO VII, GT-R, RX-7, etc.) is nil. Honestly, this whole thing comes off as being rude, but it's all stuff that I ran into myself when I was scheming to bring one over and keep it hidden in my own garage. I figured, get my hands on some cash or a loan or something, spend the $6000 on the car, and whatever to get it here and then just hide it away in the garage to tinker with and occasionally tear people a new one at the track. But honestly, it's a big hassle and will cost a fortune. If you have the money and the patience and the connections and the time and the luck then I say go for it and if you do get one, I want to be there when you pick it up. I'm serious. I'll go on an international roadtrip with my buddies to go visit you and your new toy because you'd be living my dream. And that's all I have to say about that.
Old 08-01-2001, 02:25 AM

From what i read....

Originally posted by LoveSick
Hey guys, I want to get a Skyline, I know that in Japan their price is much cheaper. But the price has been jacked up by motorex once they reached the US shore.

I have been thinking about this, can I just import one from Japan and not use it on the street? I just want to import one to Canada, so I don't need insurance. Can I do that?

Also, do I have to pay tax if this car is being imported?

I figured a way with other people at school to make some big money, so money should not be an issue if its under 40 grand. I am serious about this.
the skyline will be coming as an infitity. In the september 2001 issue of "Car and Driver", it says the skyline will be coming in the spring of 2002, but the look will be quite different (and i don't particularly like the new look and apparently i'm not the only one... quote, "There's angst in Japan about the Skyline losing its traditional round brake lights and 2.6-liter in-line engine. Nissan concieved this sedan for a world market and decided to diverge from the accepted Skyline definition." But they will make a coupe version also, and the engines will now be V-6 and no more turbos.

new skyline/G35(U.S.) specs:

Engine will be the same one that will be used in the Maxima
5 speed auto
No rear wing cause of low coefficient of drag and attained zero-lift aerodynamics
Price: a little over $30k
Will be slotted between the "I35" and "G20"

This is what it will say on page 31 of "Car and Driver".

kafene.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:22 AM

Re: From what i read....

Originally posted by kafene

the skyline will be coming as an infitity. In the september 2001 issue of "Car and Driver", it says the skyline will be coming in the spring of 2002, but the look will be quite different (and i don't particularly like the new look and apparently i'm not the only one... quote, "There's angst in Japan about the Skyline losing its traditional round brake lights and 2.6-liter in-line engine. Nissan concieved this sedan for a world market and decided to diverge from the accepted Skyline definition." But they will make a coupe version also, and the engines will now be V-6 and no more turbos.

new skyline/G35(U.S.) specs:

Engine will be the same one that will be used in the Maxima
5 speed auto
No rear wing cause of low coefficient of drag and attained zero-lift aerodynamics
Price: a little over $30k
Will be slotted between the "I35" and "G20"

This is what it will say on page 31 of "Car and Driver".

kafene.
Yes, but that's not the GT-R which has an I6 and twin turbos putting out over 310 hp stock with the computer governor removed. It's a 4 door americanized version of the Skyline sedan, a car that Nissan is making more and more removed from it's GT-R cousin (since I wouldn't even call them brothers since they are completely different)
Old 08-01-2001, 04:14 AM

My 2p

Be careful about importing yourself. We've just had a Shock Horror Probe TV program about "most imports being stolen".

Even though it looks like you intend to just keep it as an object of desire the engine might be electronically de-balled, since the speed limit in Japan is about 35mph, or something silly.

If it's anything like import bikes, there might be physical restrictions in inlets, exhausts and governed rev-limiters.

Given the speed limiter, I've seen somewhere (sorry, forgotten, but surf a bit, and it might turn up) that the diffs and and stuff were all downgraded to cope with Geo Metro amounts of power.

The only thing I can remember was that the some slow diff casings were bald, while a full-speed job was totally covered in massive cooling fins.

Good luck with it anyway. As a treat, have a look at www.jae.org.uk Give it a week or so and they'll probably have some pics up from the 28/29 July meet. Wall to wall Skylines, Supras, Scoobies and Z-cars. My fave was the Suzuki Whizzkid club.

We even scraped together about half the 3rd Gens in Britain (4 of them).
Old 08-01-2001, 04:55 AM

My advice: If you reeaally want a Skyline and can't afford Motorex(like the rest of us) then move to the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Japan. Hehe, just bustin' your *****.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:11 AM

My advice: If you reeaally want a Skyline and can't afford Motorex(like the rest of us) then move to the UK, Australia, New Zealand or Japan. Hehe, just bustin' your *****.
Old 08-01-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: From what i read....

Yes, but that's not the GT-R which has an I6 and twin turbos putting out over 310 hp stock with the computer governor removed. It's a 4 door americanized version of the Skyline sedan, a car that Nissan is making more and more removed from it's GT-R cousin (since I wouldn't even call them brothers since they are completely different)
i totally agree. but i think the changes at nissan should have nothing to do with changing the skyline so much. my opinion is that they should leave the GT-R the way it is and don't relate other cars they are going to sell in other countries to it. i think it's all just hype to build some buzz over a 'new' car. that's why it's hard to believe anything until it's in production. and the manufacturers are almost just as guilty as not as much spreading rumors, but giving blurred details so rumors CAN spread.

kafene.
Old 08-01-2001, 04:18 PM

Re: Re: Re: From what i read....

Originally posted by kafene

i totally agree. but i think the changes at nissan should have nothing to do with changing the skyline so much. my opinion is that they should leave the GT-R the way it is and don't relate other cars they are going to sell in other countries to it. i think it's all just hype to build some buzz over a 'new' car. that's why it's hard to believe anything until it's in production. and the manufacturers are almost just as guilty as not as much spreading rumors, but giving blurred details so rumors CAN spread.

kafene.
Well, it's not that they are relating this sedan to the GT-R but to the Skyline line of cars which it actually was spawned from. There's a 4-door Skyline, a two door, the GT-S, and GT-R. (The two door and GT-S might be the same car or there could just be an engine difference, I don't remember. I really don't care, I only want the GT-R.) But the car does actually come from the Skyline, just not the GT-R.
Old 08-01-2001, 06:00 PM

SithMax is correct just about everything. He missed a few
things. ONLY persons that can bring a skyline into U.S. for
less than $20000 is the persons in the military service.
I don't know if you read my post last week titled "95
Skyline GT-R" a person in the Air Force (whom I don't know)
bought a used Skyline GT-R for $4000 and had it U.S. spec
while stationed in Japan for additional $15000. The U.S.
Air Force shipped the car for free as it's his option to do
so when he gets an assignment back to the states. I have
that option as well if I get station to any country over
seas. I've already done it by bringing back a brand new
Volvo 960 for 30% less than U.S. price from Sweden. If
you really want a Skyline go join the service get stationed
in Japan and bring the car home.

Mike
Old 08-01-2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by mikelly
SithMax is correct just about everything. He missed a few
things. ONLY persons that can bring a skyline into U.S. for
less than $20000 is the persons in the military service.
I don't know if you read my post last week titled "95
Skyline GT-R" a person in the Air Force (whom I don't know)
bought a used Skyline GT-R for $4000 and had it U.S. spec
while stationed in Japan for additional $15000. The U.S.
Air Force shipped the car for free as it's his option to do
so when he gets an assignment back to the states. I have
that option as well if I get station to any country over
seas. I've already done it by bringing back a brand new
Volvo 960 for 30% less than U.S. price from Sweden. If
you really want a Skyline go join the service get stationed
in Japan and bring the car home.

Mike

What happen if I join the Canadian Air force? You know, the person that cooks for the troops?