General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

The dreaded speaker whine

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2000, 03:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Has anyone figured out how to fix this yet? It's the high pitch noise you hear on acceleration. You can have like the radio turned all the way down and you can hear it. It gets higher in pitch the higher your rpms are and then lowers pitch once you shift. It's kinda weird... I've heard different things about it. It's an antenna ground... its a bad alternator... it's moisture getting in the car.. etc. Anyone found a good solution yet or is this something that might need to be recalled under Nissan's Warrenty?
Old 10-22-2000, 03:47 PM

Are you running a factory sound system?

I've got the same thing, and I was told it was the line level adapters I was using and the only real way to solve it with an aftermarket sound system was to upgrade my HU (It's the only factory piece left =P) ..

If you upgraded everything, including the head unit, make sure all your power wires are away from your RCA cables, and double check all your grounds are good ones (ie, sanded area, metal-to-metal, bolted on.)

If it's happening and you haven't upgraded anything in the sound system, get nissan to fix it =) It shouldn't be doing that unless you changed something.
Old 10-22-2000, 03:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

See that's the thing... when it was stock, it did it... when I replaced my system... new HU, power cable down one side, amp ground and rcas down the other, amp grounded directly to the seat bolt it still does it. I would think this is strange, but it did it in my friends 96 and in my other friends 99.
Old 10-22-2000, 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by doug
do you have any amplifiers?

I would check the wiring again..

power wire down the left side of the car
RCA's down the middle of the car
speaker wire down the right side

Doug, how do you have the RCA's running down the middle? Just wondering because mine are running along the right side with the speaker wire. Would I have to pull out seats, ect. to do this? I still have speaker whine with mine after doing just about everything possible, and was just going to replace the RCA's, and so if they should be run a different way, I want to make sure that it is done correctly.
Old 10-22-2000, 08:23 PM
jmax

Alternator whine

I have found that in my 99SE that the head unit ground is the most important, or most easily made to cause the spark plug/alternator whine. But also check the wiring details of each component and how the individual component manufacturer recommends that they be grounded. Also check the dual antenna leads. If one is loose I think I remember that getting pretty noisy. Mine used to whine horriblly with the Nakamichi MB100. I also had my sony ES with it's own changer. The Sony would then and now run quiet but as soon as I would switch the source to the Nakamichi the whine would start up. We tried everything and the customer service people at Nak didn't want to hear it. So after the second MB100 performed equally as poorly, there were other problems as well, I returned them both. Make sure you pay with credit card in case they try to refuse the return.

Old 10-22-2000, 09:28 PM
mrloyd

radionoise

is your radio stock? if so then you have a problem and it should be fixed under warranty if you have one. If its aftermarket your most it can be a real ***** to find the source. First make sure that your deck and your amps are very well grounded. Shave off any paint and use star washers. If that wont work, pull your antenna jack out and see if the noise goes away, if yes then get a noise suppressor for the antenna. This is not usu the problem. I personally fought with this for a while, then finally found a device called a ground loop isolator which pluggs into your rca's. About 15 bucks at best buy (buy it out in the work bay), worked pretty good. Also make sure that you don't have your power wire anywhere near your rcas. Good luck, this is one of the most annoying things in the world! Also, look under the audio section for more info.

Old 10-22-2000, 10:56 PM

This is usually what is know as a ground loop("A ground loop is a current through a conductor between
two two grounded points, or simply put, "ground loop" is a condition where all your electrical "grounds" aren't at the same electrical potential, namely zero volts AC and DC). It is caused by a few things usually...

A bad ground at the head unit, amps, and or any electronic audio device, like the others said the power and RCA's running close together in parallel to the power or speaker wires, winding into a "coil' the excess RCA's (always wind in a S shape), cheaper electronics (usually they just have really bad filtering), ground cable to long or the wire gage is to small (best rule of thumb is to have the ground double the gage of the power and as short as possible)

Remember a cars power circuit is from the battery (alternator is just a charger) to load (eg the lights, sparkplugs, stereo) then to the ground which is the frame back to the battery in a circle...electricity always wants to go thru the quickest path... which means if any of the above problems are occuring then you will have alternator whine which usually starts at around 2000-2300 rpm. The rpm that it starts at usually is the frequency of the ground loop and yes there are filters like the ground loop isolators for RCA's, Antenna, and other parts you can also use a a cap and winding...

I can tell you if the problem is a cheap piece of hardware you will have a very hard time getting rid of it if ever...

here are some links to read about ground loops for car electronics and home electronics...

http://www.itasvcs.com/gloop.html

http://elect-spec.com/faqgrdl.htm

http://www.hut.fi/Misc/Electronics/docs/groundloop/

One more thing I am no electrical expert but I did spend way to much time trying to kill a ground loop...

So I am sorry if any of this info is either wrong or partly incorrect...
Old 10-23-2000, 02:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Are they down the middle the entire way, like under the cosle and the carpet and such? If so, how did you acheive this? All my stuff is wired on either the left or right of the car under the kick panels.
Old 10-23-2000, 02:49 PM

mine are down the middle... the back seat on the maxima is the easiest thing I have ever seen to take out... easier than pull out method

I am also using Zero Noise RCA's cost about $50 each..

Originally posted by Adidas_Boy
do you have any amplifiers?

I would check the wiring again..

power wire down the left side of the car
RCA's down the middle of the car
speaker wire down the right side

Doug, how do you have the RCA's running down the middle? Just wondering because mine are running along the right side with the speaker wire. Would I have to pull out seats, ect. to do this? I still have speaker whine with mine after doing just about everything possible, and was just going to replace the RCA's, and so if they should be run a different way, I want to make sure that it is done correctly.
[Edited by doug on 10-23-2000 at 09:29 AM]
So thats how you remove the back seat... Thanks for the info DOUG
Old 10-23-2000, 04:11 PM

Man, I have the same problem-->>

I just added a Capacitor to my system now all of a sudden I have a freak whine!!