General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Blue lights illegal in MD

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 11:39 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

I was driving on Rt.1 in front of the University of MD at 1:30am. The cops were check for drunk drivers . I pulled up in my 91 SE with clear corners and blue lights (actually purple) with amber colored markers. The first cop asked me if I had been drinking. I don't drink at all. So he gave me the ok to go ahead. The cop in front of him looked at my lights, and informed me that I'm in violation of Maryland state law, and that if a state trooper were to see me, that I would be arrested and he would make me take my lights out. He also said if he saw me again with them, that I would be cited for them. He also told me that blue lights are only for police. I'm going to take our my lights. But I'm wondering how come I see so many riced out Hondas with blue and other colored lights on the streets, all the ones I see are registered in Maryland and they aren't being pulled over for their lights? How come I'm being harrassed in MD and I live in DC and I've had my lights in my car for 2 years? Someone please give some insight. Thanks
Old 08-04-2001, 12:29 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Plain and simple.....

anything other than amber/clear(superwhite) combo is ILLEGAL...point blank! I'm a fan of blue corners too, but the laws the law!
Old 08-04-2001, 12:42 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Yeah, I understand that now. I consider myself lucky not to have gotton a ticket. So in the morning I will be going to AutoZone and buying some white bulbs. At least I got my money worth out of my purple bulbs. They ran be $9 at Speed Unlimited. I juess cops just don't like Nissans . I sure did pass a riced out Civic on my way home, and I do mean riced out. Indiglo Guages, blue washer nozzels, blue side markers, blue european style side markers, altezzas, projector headlights, a Greedy exhaust system, wich made that car sound week. But I guess that cops just wanted to say something to me. But it's all good, I'll take them out. But it's so funny, because all my friends know my car because I had those light in there. I guess I'll get some blue lights for my dash, I'd like to see them mess with me with those. I'm sure gonna miss my lights, they match the color of my car
Old 08-04-2001, 01:02 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yeah it sucks...

I'm in MD too, and I've already gotten two "repair notices" for color bulbs in Montgomery and PG county so I said "**** it" and got some superwhites and called it a day. eventhough the superwhites have a ligh blue hue, most cops seem to let it pass without complaining and they match my headlights anyways! haha..if they press you for having blue dashlights bulbs I'd bust out laughing in their faces...that would be crazy if they were that pressed!
Old 08-04-2001, 01:12 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

How light blue are the superwhites? I really don't want to put clear bulbs back in my clear corners. My purple ligts were very dark. But I do want a mild blue hue. I can work with that. Also how much did you bulbd cost? I'm posting a pic of my, notice how dark those blubs are without the lights on
Old 08-04-2001, 01:20 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Well currently...

I have no pics, since mine just blew after having them in there for a year and I have the sorry *** stock bulbs in there(which look horrible!), but you can get them from any local speed/import shop or I got mine online at autodynamic.com for about $5 each.

heres a comparison pic, the superwhites are a few shades lighter, but still look MUCH better than stock:
superwhite bulbs--> http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022...lb/1156_sw.jpg
blue bulbs--> http://secure15.dellhost.com/~d30022...isd%20Blue.jpg

Originally posted by Madmax1991
How light blue are the superwhites? I really don't want to put clear bulbs back in my clear corners. My purple ligts were very dark. But I do want a mild blue hue. I can work with that. Also how much did you bulbd cost? I'm posting a pic of my, notice how dark those blubs are without the lights on
Old 08-04-2001, 01:24 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

I'm getting ready to go out and take a few pics of my Boo before I rape her by taking her lights out in the morning.
I'll post them when I get back in
Old 08-04-2001, 01:29 AM

My HIDs are very blue looking?
Old 08-04-2001, 01:44 AM

cops are just ********s by umd. i never had problems anywhere else except around cp.
Old 08-04-2001, 02:27 AM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Dim corner

Bright corner

front view
Old 08-04-2001, 06:43 AM
Disco Biscuit

I had my corners of my 95 blue just like yours. For 2 years they were like that in both MYC and GA. the second day I was in FL, a cop pulled me over in the mall and told me I needed to change them asap. He gave me some slack becuase I had my GA plate still, but I did it. So I just put my blue bulbs in the reverse lenses
Old 08-04-2001, 09:55 AM

your engine needs a little scrubing but those purple corners look nice. cops with extra time on their hands will bust you, plain and simple.
Old 08-04-2001, 10:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Madmax1991
I was driving on Rt.1 in front of the University of MD at 1:30am. The cops were check for drunk drivers . I pulled up in my 91 SE with clear corners and blue lights (actually purple) with amber colored markers. The first cop asked me if I had been drinking. I don't drink at all. So he gave me the ok to go ahead. The cop in front of him looked at my lights, and informed me that I'm in violation of Maryland state law, and that if a state trooper were to see me, that I would be arrested and he would make me take my lights out. He also said if he saw me again with them, that I would be cited for them. He also told me that blue lights are only for police. I'm going to take our my lights. But I'm wondering how come I see so many riced out Hondas with blue and other colored lights on the streets, all the ones I see are registered in Maryland and they aren't being pulled over for their lights? How come I'm being harrassed in MD and I live in DC and I've had my lights in my car for 2 years? Someone please give some insight. Thanks

You would not be arrested for a civil infraction.
Old 08-04-2001, 03:14 PM
Cronic Maxima Driver

Originally posted by nodoubt711
your engine needs a little scrubing but those purple corners look nice. cops with extra time on their hands will bust you, plain and simple.
Yeah, I'll clean my engine one day soon, I've been busy latley. I'll take DA-Max's advice and get some of the light blue bulbs. I saw some today and they look almost white... except for they have a light blue hue to them
Old 08-04-2001, 05:24 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Yeah man....

those lights you have are just asking for a ticket! those look just like the blues I had about a year back...they looked great at night with the APC "Icy/Hot" headlights I used to have! yeah but look into the superwhites I suggested, and if you don't already have brighter headlights(Xenons, Cool Blues, etc.) than the stock ones they should match perfectly with the superwhites!