General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

my testimonial on this gas saving item

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001 | 11:44 AM

i recently got a magnetic fuel saver,(xl fuelboss) from jcwhitney.com ,$29 but $11 for s+h was outrageous.anyway my prevoius average high was around 280 285 b4 i fill up and gas light comes on,now i have just broken 300 and its getting close for me to refill again,but i am glad to see i broke 300 cuz ive never done it b4,i was also driving both city and highway + using my a/c a good decent amount of time...i dont recall using my a/c alot when i get 280 b4,so come winter time i should be getting better gas mileage....well theres my $0.02
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:46 PM

Originally posted by 93 SE
i recently got a magnetic fuel saver,(xl fuelboss) from jcwhitney.com ,$29 but $11 for s+h was outrageous.anyway my prevoius average high was around 280 285 b4 i fill up and gas light comes on,now i have just broken 300 and its getting close for me to refill again,but i am glad to see i broke 300 cuz ive never done it b4,i was also driving both city and highway + using my a/c a good decent amount of time...i dont recall using my a/c alot when i get 280 b4,so come winter time i should be getting better gas mileage....well theres my $0.02
ok ssshhhhhhh, don't tell anyone, but i have a fuel magnet also. i just forgot to mention it in my mods because it's more of a cheap trick than a "mod." i've had it for years now. after finding it laying around in a shelf i installed it a few months ago on my 97 max. gains of 1-2 mpg have been observed right off the bat. i get over 420 miles per tank now. it seems like i can still do better if i didn't run as hard.
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:52 PM

Uh, did either on of you take chemistry? Gasoline doesn't have any magnetic properties. A 'Fuel Saving Magnet' is worthless crap. 40 bucks, HA!
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:54 PM

HuMmMM... do you think i can just get regular magnets and tap them on my fuel line? the shipping is ridiciouls
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:55 PM

wow, what do those things do?
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:58 PM

Originally posted by medicsonic
Uh, did either on of you take chemistry? Gasoline doesn't have any magnetic properties. A 'Fuel Saving Magnet' is worthless crap. 40 bucks, HA!

damnnn man...i took chem..........dont remember studying gasonline though...maybe i just wasnt paying attention but my question is why would they be making this sh*t up??
Old 08-06-2001 | 08:59 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

hmm, this is interesting... I too have heard some sort of "success" stories about these Fuel saver thingies... How is it supposed to work exactly? Where is it installed?
thanks.. I'd invest 40$.. if it adds 1-2 mpg.. i figure i'd get my money back after filling up for a month and a half...
Old 08-06-2001 | 11:20 PM

It's like a sugar pill...you put it on, subconciously, you drive nicer, you rev lower, and you get better economy. I don't know about chemistry, but i sure as hell took psychology...it's the placebo effect to the fullest.
Old 08-07-2001 | 12:58 AM

Originally posted by guitaraus
It's like a sugar pill...you put it on, subconciously, you drive nicer, you rev lower, and you get better economy. I don't know about chemistry, but i sure as hell took psychology...it's the placebo effect to the fullest.
i won't deny that it isn't the placebo effect. however, when i had it on my 85 corolla, the mpg improvement was dramatic 3-4mpg or so. on our 90 4 runner it was moderate like 1-3mpg improvement. the maxima is so efficient that 1-2mpg is the best it gets. the more advanced the vehicle is, the less effect this thing has. the magnet is supposed to charge the atoms of gasoline so that they are all facing the same way when they enter the combustion chamber. that way it's "supposed" to burn more completely. you can say all you want, but it can't be a fluke that i've been getting better mileage now that i've found this magnet. please note that i've spent tanks on trying to get better mileage since the car was new. i see a definate 1-2mpg increase. remember i found the magnet sitting in the garage and its only been on since april. it's ironic that its only this month i started drag racing. still gets high mpgs. my dad bought this device for $20 (1992ish). i thought he was crazy! i said what the heck, tried it and it worked.
Old 08-07-2001 | 05:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

where can you get one? and does it affect performance?
Old 08-07-2001 | 09:36 AM

well, whoever said "Gasoline doesn't have any magnetic properties" is right, gasoline does not have any of those, BUT ( a big but) you maybe right when you're talking about a PURE gasoline, I'm pretty sure in the fuel that we get at the gas pump there are some metal particles that impurify the gas, so if you take those impurities out using a magnet then your fuel economy might go up
Old 08-07-2001 | 10:10 AM

What you should have done to rule out the placebo effect was to have someone else install it without your knowing. They would install either next week or 2 weeks later etc. That way, you'll be too busy wondering whether they installed it or not, and your driving habits would be random.

DW

Originally posted by VQdriver

i won't deny that it isn't the placebo effect. however, when i had it on my 85 corolla, the mpg improvement was dramatic 3-4mpg or so. on our 90 4 runner it was moderate like 1-3mpg improvement. the maxima is so efficient that 1-2mpg is the best it gets. the more advanced the vehicle is, the less effect this thing has. the magnet is supposed to charge the atoms of gasoline so that they are all facing the same way when they enter the combustion chamber. that way it's "supposed" to burn more completely. you can say all you want, but it can't be a fluke that i've been getting better mileage now that i've found this magnet. please note that i've spent tanks on trying to get better mileage since the car was new. i see a definate 1-2mpg increase. remember i found the magnet sitting in the garage and its only been on since april. it's ironic that its only this month i started drag racing. still gets high mpgs. my dad bought this device for $20 (1992ish). i thought he was crazy! i said what the heck, tried it and it worked.
Old 08-07-2001 | 11:05 AM
maximaR

good point

Originally posted by Vinipux
well, whoever said "Gasoline doesn't have any magnetic properties" is right, gasoline does not have any of those, BUT ( a big but) you maybe right when you're talking about a PURE gasoline, I'm pretty sure in the fuel that we get at the gas pump there are some metal particles that impurify the gas, so if you take those impurities out using a magnet then your fuel economy might go up

that is a great point. but , where do all the metal particles go after the magnet grabs them ??
Old 08-07-2001 | 11:08 AM

Originally posted by riggy

damnnn man...i took chem..........dont remember studying gasonline though...maybe i just wasnt paying attention but my question is why would they be making this sh*t up??

Your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-07-2001 | 11:11 AM
Ramius83

What do you think about this Daniel B. Martin?
Old 08-07-2001 | 03:09 PM

** rolling on the ground laughing **

You're better off spending $29 on some new light bulbs.

I assume you've tried the Tornado/SpiralMax too?

Measure the gas mileage in your girlfriend's or your mom's car or something for a couple tanks. Make sure you note if she did any driving out of the usual. Then install it on her car and don't tell her, then measure mileage again... taking the same notes on driving habits.

THEN get back to us with this hard evidence and we will hear you out.
Old 08-07-2001 | 03:23 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fuel Master (Harbor Freight)

"Used on cars, trucks, tractors, generators, Motorcycles, boats, and other even smaller engines. Simply strap to your fuel line to save gas and increase engine efficiency. Fuel Master's magnetic field breaks up clusters of hydrocarbon for more complete burning.

-11.6% avg highway fuel savings as tested by a US EPA accepted lab
-Prevents buildup of dirt in engine injectors"

Reg. 14.99, now $12.99
Item 36098-1ASA

Personally, I don't have one, but if your going to get takin', you might as well pay only a few bucks. Gotta love that Harbor Freight...
Old 08-07-2001 | 03:25 PM

$20 !

I can tell you what Daniel B Martin will think of this:

$20!

Enough said! C'mon guys, if a $20 item will improve mileage by 1-2MPG every car would have one of these as standard equipment. But why don't they. Cuz they don't work! I'd rather spend my $20 on two bottles of Chevron Techron. At least I know that keeps my fuel system clean.
Old 08-07-2001 | 03:39 PM

The Sonic the Hedgehog plush doll and my super license plates keep my car from getting into an accident. You can have tehm too, if you pay me 100 dollars.
Old 08-07-2001 | 04:52 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by medicsonic
The Sonic the Hedgehog plush doll and my super license plates keep my car from getting into an accident. You can have tehm too, if you pay me 100 dollars.
will you accept pay-pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-07-2001 | 05:13 PM

medicsonic@aol.com
Old 08-07-2001 | 08:27 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Originally posted by maxse91

will you accept pay-pal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey!!!!! How about a group deal on Sonic the Hedgehog dolls?!?!?!

Speaking of gas milage... I am getting a consistent 29 mpg in city driving with a heavy foot in my bro's 99 Corolla This blows my mind away when comparing it to my 14 mpg Maxima.... I was so amazed that I am seriously considering driving some little POS Civic or something just for the sake of saving crazy $ and feeling good seeing that gas needle at the same spot after driving to work and back Only significant problem with the Corolla is that it is tight as hell inside, even with the seat all the way back I can't sit normally.
Old 08-07-2001 | 08:35 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

hey!!!!! How about a group deal on Sonic the Hedgehog dolls?!?!?!
Lets not flatter him too much
count me out!
Besides mario is way better then sonic.....
Old 08-07-2001 | 08:54 PM

Hmm. Don't let me see you on the road.
Old 08-07-2001 | 09:05 PM
Administrator

Gasoline has zinc in it
Old 08-07-2001 | 10:21 PM

whateva floats your boat...
Old 08-08-2001 | 12:10 AM

Tires have air in them.
Old 08-08-2001 | 05:01 AM
Banned

so all the supposed metal particles in gasoline stick to the side of the fuel line with the magnet, building up and constricting the fuel line like a clogged artery. removal of the magnet or a good bump could then dislodge a mass of metal particles up the fuel line.

arrgh. this is utterly silly folks, won't work.
Old 08-08-2001 | 05:03 AM

why would they sell sumthin that doesnt work....
Old 08-08-2001 | 05:16 AM

Originally posted by MaDxKiLLa
why would they sell sumthin that doesnt work....
Are you daft?

Your $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 08-08-2001 | 06:08 AM

Originally posted by dave
so all the supposed metal particles in gasoline stick to the side of the fuel line with the magnet, building up and constricting the fuel line like a clogged artery. removal of the magnet or a good bump could then dislodge a mass of metal particles up the fuel line.

arrgh. this is utterly silly folks, won't work.
EXCELLENT point. Good post.
Old 10-25-2013 | 10:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Some input here. I put magnets on the intake fuel line of my 89 T-bird years ago, and on the beltway around my city, at 55 went from 30 to 38. Took car to exhaust shop with 4 gas analyzer, and it showed hc emissons dropping about 74%. Here's the catch--2 catches actually.

First, on most cars after 95-96 or so, the computers that manage the engine now override what most fuel improvement systems are doing for you. Had an acquaintance install one of the hydrogen systems in a 2004 Civic. To get it to work, he had to also buy an after market controller to override what his stock ECU was doing. Literally, the reason I am here is that I am thinking of buying a 95-99 Max, and was hoping to see someone here say something like, "they worked on my 95, but not on my 96", which would tell me what year the intrusive ECM came in for the maxima. But one poster here said they had results on their 97, so i am wondering now...

Second catch, even if you have a 95 or before vehicle, you must put the magnets in the right place. The electrostatic charge peters out past about 18 inches or so. If you put the magnets on the line that is returning to the tank, they will do nothing for you. So they have to be on the line as close to the fuel injectors as possible.

What I heard was that passing through the ring magnets imparted an electrostatic charge so that all the fuel particles now have the same charge and repel each other, so they disperse more. A finer better spray, like going from carbs to fuel injection.
Old 10-25-2013 | 02:06 PM
Administrator

Not again...

Last edited by The Wizard; 10-25-2013 at 02:13 PM.