General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

A flywheel that's not balanced....

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 11:56 AM
The missing moderator

anyone ever have encounter an unbalanced flywheel? Vibrations under accleration? Vibrations while in steady cruise?

I get vibrations from, basically the whole car, usually in 3rd gear. I don't usually get that in other gears. I don't think it's the wheels. Any ideas? BTW the flywheel is lightened.

-Shing
Old 10-23-2000, 11:59 AM

lighten flywheel

is there any gains with a light flywheel. I was thinking about that setup.
Old 10-23-2000, 11:59 AM
I'm needing a caw

How much did they grind off??

and did they re-balance it after?? I know when people blance their engines, they also include the flywheel AND the clutch assemblies also. But if you just get the flywheel done, I'm not sure if the machine shop wants the clutch and pressure plate too.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:04 PM
The missing moderator

Re: How much did they grind off??

Originally posted by Jeff92se
and did they re-balance it after?? I know when people blance their engines, they also include the flywheel AND the clutch assemblies also. But if you just get the flywheel done, I'm not sure if the machine shop wants the clutch and pressure plate too.
nah, they just lightened it by no more than 3-4lbs.(from stock 18lbs to probalby 15) They did rebalance it. I asked if they needed anythign else, but the said no. This is suppsoed to be a reputable shop.

KNow the symptoms of one that's out of balance?
Old 10-23-2000, 12:05 PM
The missing moderator

Re: lighten flywheel

Originally posted by MADMAN
is there any gains with a light flywheel. I was thinking about that setup.
Well, lighten flywheel doesn't make power... if any gains, it'a b/c there is less rotational mass. But there are always downsides... like if it's too light, driveability suffers.

-Shing
Old 10-23-2000, 12:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Re: Re: How much did they grind off??

No sorry I don't know what the symtoms are.

Originally posted by Shingles
Originally posted by Jeff92se
nah, they just lightened it by no more than 3-4lbs.(from stock 18lbs to probalby 15) They did rebalance it. I asked if they needed anythign else, but the said no. This is suppsoed to be a reputable shop.

KNow the symptoms of one that's out of balance?
Old 10-23-2000, 12:21 PM

When you lighten a flywheel you get lower rotating mass. This allows the engine to increase and decrease RPMs faster. This may speed up acceleration a little bit (no performance difference at steady state RPMs like peak horsepower). It mostly speeds up shifting with a MT, because it takes less time to sync engine speed with road speed.
Old 10-23-2000, 12:30 PM
I'm needing a caw

What other choice is there????

Autos don't have flywheels.

It mostly speeds up shifting with a MT, because it takes less time to sync engine speed with road speed.
Old 10-23-2000, 02:38 PM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Automatics do have flywheels. The torque converter is mounted to it and so is the starter.

Dave
Old 10-23-2000, 02:39 PM
The missing moderator

Originally posted by Dave B
Automatics do have flywheels. The torque converter is mounted to it and so is the starter.

Dave
No they don't have flywheels... atleast on a honda they don't. There's this thin plate that I forget the name. Unless Nissan does it way different, I'm sure it's the same way. I could check my manual when I get home.

-Shing
Old 10-23-2000, 02:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

The only reason autos have

a "FLYWHEEL" is to have something to mount the teeth for the starter ring gear. The "flywheel" is only a super thin sheet w/ a ring of teeth around it. It does not serve the same function as a flywheel in a manual.

Originally posted by Dave B

Dave
Old 10-23-2000, 03:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know that when my cluch went out on my Maxima after a year due to a warped flywheel, I didn't notice any vibrations or anything strange. I would assume that this would be the same as it not being balanced.