General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ok, which CV joint is bad, right or left?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 01:31 PM

when i turn my steering wheel all the way to the right(clockwise) there is the clicking sound, when i turn it all the way to the left(CCW), there is no clicking sound. so which side is bad? i just got my paycheck and i wanna get this fixed before school starts. thanks
Old 08-14-2001, 01:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

There is nothing like jacking up the car and actually looking at the cv joints. Didn't you just get done changing the oil? Why not look at them then.

Originally posted by _DRU_
when i turn my steering wheel all the way to the right(clockwise) there is the clicking sound, when i turn it all the way to the left(CCW), there is no clicking sound. so which side is bad? i just got my paycheck and i wanna get this fixed before school starts. thanks
Old 08-14-2001, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
There is nothing like jacking up the car and actually looking at the cv joints. Didn't you just get done changing the oil? Why not look at them then.

i did just change the oil but both boots are in good condition, not tears or cracks. is there anything else i should be looking at?
Old 08-14-2001, 02:29 PM

Questions

I have a similar problem but when i turn my steering wheel all the way to the left(CCW) there is the clicking sound (metal grinding sound), when i turn it all the way to the right(CW), there is no clicking sound. is this a bad CV joint and how do you examined it. Is it bad to drive with bad CV joint? Cost/Labor.

Thanks,
CHIGGARMAX,
95 gxe, 48k
Old 08-14-2001, 03:13 PM

That's too wierd

My car does that too. When I lowered it even more i would get the poping noise going forward. I've had replace at least five time and none of them have torn boots. But they are doing is reguilding the ones I have. I think I'm gonna go to the junkyard and buy a diff. set. The lower I go the more thay pop. And it's always when I turn left. I'm glad it's not just me. I even replaced my wheel bearing cuz I thought they might be the one making the Rrrrrr noise too. but's its the CV axle.
Old 08-14-2001, 03:20 PM

Re: That's too wierd

Originally posted by Uncle Max
My car does that too. When I lowered it even more i would get the poping noise going forward. I've had replace at least five time and none of them have torn boots. But they are doing is reguilding the ones I have. I think I'm gonna go to the junkyard and buy a diff. set. The lower I go the more thay pop. And it's always when I turn left. I'm glad it's not just me. I even replaced my wheel bearing cuz I thought they might be the one making the Rrrrrr noise too. but's its the CV axle.
i was plannin on rebuilding the CV joint, but it doesnt seem to have worked for you, right? do you suggest just replacing it rather than rebuilding it? thanks
Old 08-14-2001, 03:32 PM

If you're going thru all the trouble, its better to replace both sides at the same time. You can get rebuilt axles for around $130 or so, and labor you can do yourself (if you have the tools) or most places will install both for $200.

I wouldn't settle for just greasing the boots again. Get it done right. Check out these guys for good CV's. They use new knuckles (some just re-grease)...

http://www.raxles.com
Old 08-14-2001, 09:17 PM

Originally posted by Don in Texas
If you're going thru all the trouble, its better to replace both sides at the same time. You can get rebuilt axles for around $130 or so, and labor you can do yourself (if you have the tools) or most places will install both for $200.

I wouldn't settle for just greasing the boots again. Get it done right. Check out these guys for good CV's. They use new knuckles (some just re-grease)...

http://www.raxles.com
Hey, Don, didn't you get heavy-duty axles from Raxles for your Maxima? Were they cryogenically treated? How much HP are they rated for? Please advise. Thanks...
Old 08-15-2001, 06:08 AM

Ooooh Hevy duty axles

sound good. This might just be my axle. I've had my Max since new and it's been lowered 98% of this time. My dad has a shop and we've had them rebuilt at an axle shop but it hasn't fixed it. I just think they might have a little wear and maybe a little play which might be causing the noise. Don't know but I'm sure getting your axles rebuilt might work fine. But heavy Duty axles sounds good since I'm going Turbo.
Old 08-15-2001, 06:13 AM

Re: Ooooh Hevy duty axles

Sounds like alot of people (including myself) need these things, except I have a torn boot, but no clicking yet. ANyone thinking group deal? Who has gotten an axle from RAXLE and has it held up? Thanks, James

Originally posted by Uncle Max
sound good. This might just be my axle. I've had my Max since new and it's been lowered 98% of this time. My dad has a shop and we've had them rebuilt at an axle shop but it hasn't fixed it. I just think they might have a little wear and maybe a little play which might be causing the noise. Don't know but I'm sure getting your axles rebuilt might work fine. But heavy Duty axles sounds good since I'm going Turbo.
Old 08-15-2001, 05:44 PM

Don-in-Texas posted some time ago he was having heavy-duty, prototypical axles installed on his Maxima, which sounded like a good idea in view of his engine build-up. He did not mention who was making them, how much they cost, what level of horsepower they were designed to withstand, etc. I bet it's been 60 days since that was posted here, and I haven't heard a thing since, neither from Don nor anyone else. Has *anybody* heard anything more about these heavy-duty axles? Is RAXLES the company involved? I have asked Don about them a couple times in this forum, but no answer so far...
Old 08-15-2001, 05:58 PM

so... do you guys think its the left or the right? the clicking only comes when the wheel is turned clockwise. im just planning to go to a CV Repair shop and have them replace my axle, or half shaft, or whatever is involved. i called and the guy told me $110 to get it replaced. i just wanna know which side is bad first. i dont want the mech. tell me i have to change both when i only need to change one side. thanks
Old 08-15-2001, 06:21 PM

so... do you guys think its the left or the right? the clicking only comes when the wheel is turned clockwise. im just planning to go to a CV Repair shop and have them replace my axle, or half shaft, or whatever is involved. i called and the guy told me $110 to get it replaced. i just wanna know which side is bad first. i dont want the mech. tell me i have to change both when i only need to change one side. thanks
If you hear clicking noises when you turn right, it's your left CV that's bad. But, Don recommended you do both sides, which sounds like a good idea. You might as well do both...
Good luck.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:57 PM

Originally posted by bullseye

If you hear clicking noises when you turn right, it's your left CV that's bad. But, Don recommended you do both sides, which sounds like a good idea. You might as well do both...
Good luck.
hhmm.. its sounds like its coming from the passenger side though, but i cant trust my ears... left, you mean drivers side right? i would like to change both right now but i dont have the extra change to do so and i dont plan on passing more than 200hp or racing heavily. so i think replacing the broken one now should be alright for daily driving...i hope..
Old 08-16-2001, 07:23 PM

When my passenger side CV went bad, I poked my head in that wheel well and found grease everywhere around the well, on the strut and spring, and on the wheel itself. What a mess! Why don't you take a good look, feel around, and see what gives...? When I turned left, that's when I heard clicking in the passenger side wheel well. When I turned right, it was silent as could be. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2001, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by bullseye
When my passenger side CV went bad, I poked my head in that wheel well and found grease everywhere around the well, on the strut and spring, and on the wheel itself. What a mess! Why don't you take a good look, feel around, and see what gives...? When I turned left, that's when I heard clicking in the passenger side wheel well. When I turned right, it was silent as could be. Good luck.
i looked and touched and poke and sweated. there was no sign of any grease and my boots look and feel perfectly fine.. im just gonna change the driver side CV joint soon. lets see how that goes...