General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Y-Pipe & STS finally installed!!! impressions ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 03:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well,

I finally got my y-pipe & STS installed!

Y-Pipe

So far I haven't heard any bees in the can / hissing sounds that many people have complained about.

The car flies through the RPM's now ... I hit redline in first gear much much quicker.

Haven't noticed any reduction in low end torque. Actually ... I feel that I've gained a bit ... I don't have the lag that I had when just the Stillen SI was there ... can n e concur or disagree with me here?

Sound is much different ... there's a grumble that wasn't there b4

STS

Couple problems.

The MOMO boot apparently didn't fit ... it would if an extra hour @ $50 was spent so I opted to leave the stock boot on. I'll change it myself this weekend.

However, if anyone else has installed the MOMO boot ... I'd luv 2 know how you intalled it ... our stock boot ends with a rectangular metal brace ... the MOMO boot is pure elastic ... how do u make it fit?

Another issue ... the throws are STIFF!!! I mean ... really really really stiff! I get a work out from driving now! Question ... does anyone know how to eliminate the stiffness? Or is it supposed to be like that?

The throws aren't as short as I had hoped ... maybe he didn't set the ball right ... does anyone know if I can easily adjust the throw now that it's in or does it entail taking it all apart?

However ... it's a huge difference from stock ... it looks a zillion times better with the MOMO **** as well!

Questions? Ask away! The install for both pieces was about $110 USD
Old 08-14-2001, 03:49 PM
PhatGuy

You will notice crazy gains in third an fourth more so than first and second. Take your car out on the first cool night and wait till you see the power difference. There is no question that the SI is the cause of the low end torque loss and not the Y-Pipe. The Y-pipe improves the low end torque IMO.

The STS stiffness is normal. It will losen up over time. Also you get use to it and will like the the notchy feel after a while.

PS again wait till you get a chance to really open up 3rd and 4th on you car on a cooler night. It will pull hard to 200.

Originally posted by ohboiya
Well,

I finally got my y-pipe & STS installed!

Y-Pipe

So far I haven't heard any bees in the can / hissing sounds that many people have complained about.

The car flies through the RPM's now ... I hit redline in first gear much much quicker.

Haven't noticed any reduction in low end torque. Actually ... I feel that I've gained a bit ... I don't have the lag that I had when just the Stillen SI was there ... can n e concur or disagree with me here?

Sound is much different ... there's a grumble that wasn't there b4

STS

Couple problems.

The MOMO boot apparently didn't fit ... it would if an extra hour @ $50 was spent so I opted to leave the stock boot on. I'll change it myself this weekend.

However, if anyone else has installed the MOMO boot ... I'd luv 2 know how you intalled it ... our stock boot ends with a rectangular metal brace ... the MOMO boot is pure elastic ... how do u make it fit?

Another issue ... the throws are STIFF!!! I mean ... really really really stiff! I get a work out from driving now! Question ... does anyone know how to eliminate the stiffness? Or is it supposed to be like that?

The throws aren't as short as I had hoped ... maybe he didn't set the ball right ... does anyone know if I can easily adjust the throw now that it's in or does it entail taking it all apart?

However ... it's a huge difference from stock ... it looks a zillion times better with the MOMO **** as well!

Questions? Ask away! The install for both pieces was about $110 USD

Old 08-14-2001, 04:15 PM

Do you have a pic of your shift ****?

Mine is peeling and I want to replace it, but I don't know with what, and I don't know what fits properly...
Old 08-14-2001, 04:15 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy
PS again wait till you get a chance to really open up 3rd and 4th on you car on a cooler night. It will pull hard to 200.
don't tempt me ... I've already gotten 3 points for going 45 over & have another one in the courts for going 23 over ... all this since I bought my Max almost 1 year ago!
Old 08-14-2001, 04:18 PM

Congrats. Good to hear that the y-pipe doesn't make for a decrease on the low-end. I think I'm going to throw it back onto my wishlist.

Phatguy: When you say 200 you mean km right?
Old 08-14-2001, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
of course ....

NOT!!!!

Just kidding ... .. we live in Ontario, CANADA

re: y-pipe ... get it!!! Alberttan was selling his for $350 + shipping I think .. brand new ... check some old posts in the FS forum
Old 08-14-2001, 04:29 PM
PhatGuy

Ya we both live in Canada so 200Km which is about 120miles.

Originally posted by mbcp_tdogg
Congrats. Good to hear that the y-pipe doesn't make for a decrease on the low-end. I think I'm going to throw it back onto my wishlist.

Old 08-14-2001, 05:02 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Momo Boot

Ok, listen up.

To get the momo boot to stay on your car you need the metal ring out the OEM boot. The OEM boot snaps into the shifter trim on the underside of the shifter trim. Unstitch the OEM shift boot and take out that metal wire. You will have to 'tuck up' some of the momo boot because it's too long (that's why its universal). Then use the wire to snap the new boot into the shifter trim.

Here's a pic:
Old 08-14-2001, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by mtl95se
Do you have a pic of your shift ****?

Mine is peeling and I want to replace it, but I don't know with what, and I don't know what fits properly...
Here's a pic ...

u r u in Mtl right? these guys r in AB so u would only pay shipping & GST (no PST) if u buy here ... they were the cheapest I had found n e where (US & Canada) ... if u call ask 4 Jason & tell him Eugene Lee from Toronto sent u ... 1-800-661-2538 ... he should give u a price better than what you've seen online & in stores ...

good luck!
Old 08-14-2001, 05:12 PM

Re: Momo Boot

hey .. tkx ... more questions tho ...

no stitching required of the altered momo boot? did u just shove the momo boot b/w the metal wire & the underside of the shifter trim?

Originally posted by NickStam
Ok, listen up.

To get the momo boot to stay on your car you need the metal ring out the OEM boot. The OEM boot snaps into the shifter trim on the underside of the shifter trim. Unstitch the OEM shift boot and take out that metal wire. You will have to 'tuck up' some of the momo boot because it's too long (that's why its universal). Then use the wire to snap the new boot into the shifter trim.

Here's a pic:
Old 08-14-2001, 06:06 PM

boot/****

So you think I should go about getting the boot and ****?

What did you pay from that place in Ab?
Is there somewhere I can order online...

What about phsyically putting the **** on, I've never done it before so I dont know how, does the oem **** just screw off?
And the new one screws on?

I also thought about maybe cutting the shifter, but then how would I get the **** on?

I gotta get rid of the stock one, not only is it a bit tall looking, but the leather on my **** is unstitched somehow and peeling down..
Old 08-14-2001, 10:19 PM

Re: boot/****

I can't remember the price but when I heard it ... I signed up immediately ... call Jason instead ... their pricing online is higher than he'll sell it for ... just tell him that I recommended his place.

Stock **** is a b!tch to get off apparently ... we (my mechanic) didn't need to waste any time b/c I simply replaced the whole shifter with the STS.

Good luck!

Originally posted by mtl95se
So you think I should go about getting the boot and ****?

What did you pay from that place in Ab?
Is there somewhere I can order online...

What about phsyically putting the **** on, I've never done it before so I dont know how, does the oem **** just screw off?
And the new one screws on?

I also thought about maybe cutting the shifter, but then how would I get the **** on?

I gotta get rid of the stock one, not only is it a bit tall looking, but the leather on my **** is unstitched somehow and peeling down..
Old 08-15-2001, 06:54 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

The stiffness of the shifter could be the shift level and linkage resting on the heatshield. Do you hear any grinding coming from under the shifter? Does the shifter get hot?

Dave
Old 08-15-2001, 07:13 AM

Re: Momo Boot

Nick, I'm jealous. You have a very big ****.
Old 08-15-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by 2DMax
Man, now I want a Y-pipe !
yes ...

[long pause]

yes .. u do!

Old 08-15-2001, 07:35 AM

Man, now I want a Y-pipe !
Old 08-15-2001, 07:39 AM

whoa .. that's weird ... how can my reply 2 2dmax b b4 his original post that I replied 2?
Old 08-15-2001, 11:59 AM

whoa .. that's weird ... how can my reply 2 2dmax b b4 his original post that I replied 2?
That happens quite often. That's why sometimes you see people put random numbers/letters in the subject to keep the post sequential.
Old 08-15-2001, 12:52 PM

What did I tell you about reading my mind ?!
Old 08-15-2001, 06:43 PM

y pipe

man i cant wait to get the y- pipe.as soon as i have the money do you guys get it with the flex part or with out?
Old 08-15-2001, 11:13 PM
PhatGuy

Did you take this off?

Old 08-16-2001, 03:02 AM

Did you take this off?

I dunno ... i paid 2 get it installed ... should I have? what are the repercussions of not having removed it .. & can I even c from looking at the bottom of the car from the side?
Old 08-16-2001, 08:14 AM
PhatGuy

Look under your car about mid way near the main cat. It only needs to come off if your exhaust is knocking on it (since the Y-pipe is installed). It might only knock it if you are in gear and driving and put the pedal to the metal. It really doesn't do anything. It isn't a hanger it just seems to a protection bar if the exhaust breaks before the resonator. Does the new y-pipe you have installed have a flex piece?

I dunno ... i paid 2 get it installed ... should I have? what are the repercussions of not having removed it .. & can I even c from looking at the bottom of the car from the side?

Old 08-16-2001, 08:25 AM

I don't hear any knocking @ all ...

flex piece ... & what mite that b? the mesh part of the pipe?

Look under your car about mid way near the main cat. It only needs to come off if your exhaust is knocking on it (since the Y-pipe is installed). It might only knock it if you are in gear and driving and put the pedal to the metal. It really doesn't do anything. It isn't a hanger it just seems to a protection bar if the exhaust breaks before the resonator. Does the new y-pipe you have installed have a flex piece?

Old 08-16-2001, 08:31 AM
PhatGuy

No knock is all good! Ah ok you have flex joint on your y-pipe. Looks like everything is good with your install! Some of us (with Cattman at least) had to take that off or get longer bolts and spacers and reinstall it.

I don't hear any knocking @ all ...

flex piece ... & what mite that b? the mesh part of the pipe?